Some Remarkable Numbers to Ponder | The Boneyard

Some Remarkable Numbers to Ponder

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In one of the best WBB games ever played by two great teams, here are some remarkable numbers to ponder:
  • The 5 losses this season are the most a Husky team has ever had that made it to the FF
  • While UConn struggled with turnovers all season, against an outstanding Wolfpack defense yesterday, UConn had only 8 turnovers in 50 minutes of play.
  • There were an incredible 26 lead changes in last night’s game.
  • In a grind it out 40 minutes of regulation, UConn managed just 61 points. In 10 minutes of OT UConn put up an amazing 30 points
  • The teams were incredibly evenly matched. For example, both teams pulled down 39 rebounds, while shooting 48%.
  • While UConn played 9 players, the starters all played big minutes: Azzi-49, Christyn-48, Paige-45, Aaliyah-39 & Liv-38.

Reaction Score
Great post oldude. May I point out that PB scored 10 points in the first OT and 5 in the second. PB literally did not miss when the game is on the line. Williams said " I was thinking, we have Paige Bueckers and you don't".

Reaction Score
In one of the best WBB games ever played by two great teams, here are some remarkable numbers to ponder:
  • The 5 losses this season are the most a Husky team has ever had that made it to the FF
  • While UConn struggled with turnovers all season, against an outstanding Wolfpack defense yesterday, UConn had only 8 turnovers in 50 minutes of play.
  • In a grind it out 40 minutes of regulation, UConn managed just 61 points. In 10 minutes of OT UConn put up an amazing 30 points
  • The teams were incredibly evenly matched. For example, both teams pulled down 39 rebounds, while shooting 48%.
  • While UConn played 9 players, the starters all played big minutes: Azzi-49, Christyn-48, Paige-45, Aaliyah-39 & Liv-38.
A game for the ages, and for some of us, the aged; these remarkable numbers not likely to be repeated. Paige and Azzi; fun for the next two years, played like veterans. Thanks, Oldude.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Everybody had their moments thats what great teams do. Their players make great plays. However when the going got tuff Paige stepped up and took over in a way that was monumental. What makes it even more great is she wasnt as you say playing at a high level. She was able to turn it around and make it happen.

Reaction Score
I suggest these 2 teams were NOT evenly matched. Paige had no equal on NC st. Also Their big post scored more easily than ONO. With Dorka out at the post it was a miss match to the benefit of U NC St.
For fans of great basketball, it was a superb treat. For much of the 4th Q and each OT 5 minutes my blood pressure exceeded healthy limits. WONDERFUL.

Reaction Score
Everybody had their moments thats what great teams do. Their players make great plays. However when the going got tuff Paige stepped up and took over in a way that was monumental. What makes it even more great is she wasnt as you say playing at a high level. She was able to turn it around and make it happen.
Geno made the comment, and obviously I agree--Paige is made for times like these, and she came through

Reaction Score
Isn't it amazing what happens when you have your most efficient players handle the ball and make plays for themselves?
They don't need assists, they just need space. They make the most shots, and when they get fouled, they make foul shots too.
During this stretch of games and teams, its too physical down low for the bigs to be efficient and the amount of turnovers trying to get them the ball becomes a liability.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
8. 8 is a number to ponder. It’s very symmetrical and turn it on its side and it’s the symbol for infinity.

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Reaction Score
I suggest these 2 teams were NOT evenly matched. Paige had no equal on NC st. Also Their big post scored more easily than ONO. With Dorka out at the post it was a miss match to the benefit of U NC St.
For fans of great basketball, it was a superb treat. For much of the 4th Q and each OT 5 minutes my blood pressure exceeded healthy limits. WONDERFUL.

It’s NCSU not UNCSt

Reaction Score
speaking of free throws, Seton Hall went 20 for 20 against Columbia the other night. Imagine if we could go 16 for 20. I guess Columbia's free throw defense was not very good. Our free throw defense was not much better. Can't be good at everything.

Reaction Score
It’s NCSU not UNCSt
No attack but it is known as both far and wide and from the school itself. I doubt anyone here is trying to disrespect your school.
Note the banner at the top of the school website. Yes the address says what you believe but even they get it.

The women's basketball site...

That and SI may have got it wrong.
Folks here are very respective of other schools, and a very educated fan base. NC State should not be taken as slander.

Reaction Score
I think the point was that the school is NC State University or NC State, shortened to NCSU. But, the school is NOT UNCSt or University of NC State. Also, I think adding UNC to anything referring to NC State is the other big sticking point; they are in no way affiliated with UNC.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The two overtimes showed just how important it is to hit free throws and make layups. Hit free throws earlier in the game and it would not have gone to OT. I really hope UConn makes their free throws in the FF. Also, I hope with all the streaks that were ended this season that one will end this weekend and one will continue. End the drought of NC since 2016 and continue the streak of going undefeated in NC games. However, whatever happens, this team, once healthy, showed us how real UConn ball is played and if they don't win it all, I will still be proud of them. They still won't have their full roster but at least they can practice this week knowing they won't have Dorca. My personal wish is that Caroline gets a chance to play more. Having an extra outside and inside threat can be helpful.

Reaction Score
Paige has now played in two OT games (a total of three OT periods) at UConn. In last year's game, against SC, she scored all 9 of UConn's points in the extra period. That means she is -- career-wise -- averaging 12 ppg in OT each time her team plays an overtime game, and she is also averaging 8 ppg in each OT period she has played in. Last year she scored 9 of her 31 points against SC in the OT period. Monday night, she scored 15 of her 27 points against NC State in the extra periods. Astounding!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe it was the 2003 or 2004 team that had 4 regular season losses and still took home a NC. Anything can happen.
The Huskies also had 4 losses in the 2012-13 season, although 1 was in the BE Conference Final to ND, one of 3 close losses to ND that season, along with a loss at Baylor. But 4 was the charm as UConn beat up ND in the national semifinals on their way to the first of 4 straight championships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom