Some rational thoughts | The Boneyard

Some rational thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were all excited about this season as we had canned PP/GDL, TJ Weist had a three game win streak to end the season, and we hired an energetic assistant coach from Notre Dame to lead the program.

Before the season began, Diaco announced that Boyle would redshirt and he said Cochran and Whitmer were going to compete for the QB position. Cochran looked good at the end of last season and it looked like he would be our QB for 3 more seasons and Boyle would get a chance to learn. Unfortunately, Cochran got injured and Boyle's redshirt was gone. Whitmer played better than last year, but still made too many mistakes. Boyle was given about 3 snaps a game.

Once it was decided the season was over, the decision was made to start Boyle the last 2 games to see what he could do. Clearly, the coaching staff knew it meant possibly losing both games as Boyle had not shown in the preseason or during his 3 snaps a game that he was ready. After watching Boyle the past 2 games, it's clear, he wasn't ready. It had never been the plan to play Boyle this year.

We had heard Diaco was an odd duck at ND and he has shown those traits at UConn. But, he is young and seems willing to learn, so I hope he harshly evaluates his and his staff's performance this year. In my opinion, we need to see a tougher Bob next year. And, he needs to understand his press conferences can be very off-putting to the fans.

All that said, we all knew there were problems with the football program and guess what? They are worse than we thought. There were many holes in the roster especially at QB and OL and our roster depth was very thin. We know the strength and conditioning program had regressed in recent years.

We did see some progress this year. The OL went from dreadful to serviceable. Our RBs look better.

Going forward we need to see some things. A QB needs to be found. Player development needs to continue. Recruiting needs to be upgraded. And Diaco needs to improve the coaching staff's performance.

I still and always will support the Huskies. I'll continue to go to as many games as possible. This season was a throw away so I'm not concerned about the last two losses. But, in 2015, UConn needs to show major improvement over this year or we need to pull the plug on the Diaco experiment and hire an experienced head coach. There is too much at risk for UConn.

Reaction Score
I still and always will support the Huskies. I'll continue to go to as many games as possible. This season was a throw away so I'm not concerned about the last two losses. But, in 2015, UConn needs to show major improvement over this year or we need to pull the plug on the Diaco experiment and hire an experienced head coach. There is too much at risk for UConn.
They tried that. Look where we are today.

Reaction Score
They tried that. Look where we are today.
They hired a retread who had lost his fastball at his last job. With the money UConn pays they can hire a succesful coach from the MAC or a guy like the coach at Old Domion. Get a coach with an offensive background. Everyone of our coaches has tried to win games by clinching their ass cheeks as tight as possible for four quarters. Offense is the name of the game in CFB. I know the traditionalist, "defense wins championships" crowd doesn't like to hear that, but that thinking is as antiquated as Deleone's offense. Besides if your not winning championships, at least entertain fans. When you can't give away tickets because the people you bring to games are yawning during our games, its time for a new approach.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Rational thoughts, says who? I think giving Diaco one more DAY on the job is completely IRRATIONAL.

Reaction Score
Rational thoughts, says who? I think giving Diaco one more DAY on the job is completely IRRATIONAL.

Yeah, because nothing says "where in D-1A for the long haul" like firing your head coach after 1 season!!! I'm sure the Nick Saban's of the world will be knocking down our door for a chance to coach UCONN!!!

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Plenty of coaches will look at the job this incompetent nutcase did here and say, "what a buffoon, I'm a much better coach and I can do a much better job there"

Reaction Score
Plenty of coaches will look at the job this incompetent nutcase did here and say, "what a buffoon, I'm a much better coach and I can do a much better job there"

Sure you are, and I'm a skinny big breasted blonde supermodel!!!

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
I don't care what you are. But it's obvious my post went over your head and now you're scrambling

Reaction Score
I don't care what you are. But it's obvious my post went over your head and now you're scrambling

I'm doing nothing of the sort, but you can go ahead and keep telling yourself I am. I won't stop you.

Reaction Score
They hired a retread who had lost his fastball at his last job. With the money UConn pays they can hire a succesful coach from the MAC or a guy like the coach at Old Domion. Get a coach with an offensive background. Everyone of our coaches has tried to win games by clinching their ass cheeks as tight as possible for four quarters. Offense is the name of the game in CFB. I know the traditionalist, "defense wins championships" crowd doesn't like to hear that, but that thinking is as antiquated as Deleone's offense. Besides if your not winning championships, at least entertain fans. When you can't give away tickets because the people you bring to games are yawning during our games, its time for a new approach.

I was gonna just hit the "like it" button, but your post is too good. I have been saying this for years . . . Offense is how college football is played today.

This is simply an awesome post and all too true.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I still and always will support the Huskies. I'll continue to go to as many games as possible. This season was a throw away so I'm not concerned about the last two losses. But, in 2015, UConn needs to show major improvement over this year or we need to pull the plug on the Diaco experiment and hire an experienced head coach. There is too much at risk for UConn.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid the ship may already have sailed on the risk factor. There's not a P5 conference in the country that wants our football program, especially if they have problems of their own, like the ACC and Big 12. At this point, I'm not sure it would matter, even if we returned to at least a modicum of respectability again. Hopefully I'm wrong, and things can change, but right now we are so hopelessly far underwater that Jacques Cousteau couldn't find us with one of his deep water submersibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom