Some parting thoughts | The Boneyard

Some parting thoughts

Reaction Score
So I left for Hartford Thursday afternoon and got back to northern mass a couple hours ago. As far as sentiment goes, they don't get much deeper than this one: I live for this stuff. To be able to wake up every morning, eat breakfast, walk about a mile to the XL center so I don't feel like a complete fat ass for stuffing myself all day, take in some high-major basketball from wherever I want to sit, and lose my mind to root on the Huskies...that's as good a mini-vacation as you can possibly have. I would have given anything to stick around another 24 hours, but hey, even in one of the worst years in recent program history, they give me memories I'll have forever. People that only look at the record or the final score are missing so much.

The on-court product went from terrible to good to I don't even know because their were too many fouls. The coaching was largely good, though I remain frustrated by their collective lack of urgency when it comes to making obvious tactical concessions to disguise what their personnel can't do. To me, the three games I saw at the conference tournament - two from right behind the bench and one from section 202 - solidified the belief that this team massively under-achieved. To not have them dancing is a failure, even if the long-term trajectory of the program trends upward due to the excellent work they have done in other areas.

But that can come for another day. This one stings, and it is especially frustrating because, even with all the injuries, even with all the young guys we're playing, and even with all of the bad things that have happened to us, this game was so, so winnable. And we fouled ourselves out of the nuclear opportunity to potentially fill the arena for sunday and storm into the NCAA tournament. Cincinnati and SMU are better than us, but I still think man for man, everybody at their best, we're more talented.

A couple brief thoughts:

- It is difficult to gauge from the upper-sections whether the calls being made on the court are good ones, so I don't really have anything for you on that front. But Cincinnati shot 46 free throws, which is too absurd to gloss over. Either we got screwed or we were way too undisciplined. On that front:

- The strategy when we got within two minutes was terrible. We cut it to five at one point within the last minute, and instead of trapping and at least making them advance it past half-court, they gave the foul right away. You need to force at least one turnover there if you're down that much. The odds of winning the game otherwise are infinitesimal.

- Enoch's defense killed us in that game. Jackson's was not very good, at any point in the tournament, either. That brings me to my next point.

- We're going to miss the three seniors a lot more than people realize. They were our stalwarts on that end, and while they were inconsistent at best offensively, they would always put it together for just long enough that you believed they could be great. In a lot of ways, this was the most fitting of ways for it to end, losing a game that it doesn't actually feel like we lost, not because mistakes weren't made but because at no point did it feel like the stars ever aligned. Speaking of:

- In retrospect, it really seemed like Jalen was starting to put it together before he turned his ankle against SMU. In the 11 games before the injury, he was averaging 15 points, 7 assists, and 4 rebounds on 43/40/88 shooting splits. We had also just come off a five game stretch in which we were playing our best ball of the season - we had gotten our signature win @ UCF, gutted one out @ Temple, come back against Memphis, walloped South Florida by a starting 59 points, and led Houston by double digits at the half before succumbing to fatigue. In the three games after the injury he was at 8/5/4 on 36% shooting and against Houston and Cincinnati he was sensational. I'm trying not to exaggerate, but I can't think of a single player I'd take over him next season - assuming the expected players depart - if I were starting a team. He made a top ten defense look straight up bad at times.

- With Jalen in mind, serious questions will have to be asked of the staff if we can't score points next year. Between him, the expected improvements from Jackson and Vital, Gilbert, Durham, Enoch, and whatever we get from a recovering Larrier, there is going to be plenty of opportunity to finally boast an explosive offense.

- Again, though, plenty of question marks on the other end. We will miss Brimah a lot for the reason that it is easier to build a functional offense around Brimah's limitations than it is to build a defense around Enoch's. I trust Vital to eventually fill Purvis' shoes defensively, but it likely won't be as soon as next season, and I have questions about Gilbert's ability to defend. If you trot out a lineup of Adams-Gilbert-Jackson-Larrier-Enoch you're going to get scored defensively. Our best bet is somebody like Durham making the leap to a transformative defensive player, which I think is possible. Otherwise, Enoch or somebody else will have to step up.

Reaction Score
One thing that I found maddeingly about yesterday is that we could barely run any offense without Jalen. It was hard to complete passes, guys were confused about where they should be, and our other guards did not possess any ability to lead the offense. I know, I know Alterique would have been that other guy. But he's not here and in game 33 Vital still did not look comfortable getting us organized and after three years, Purvis could not either. I know both of those guys are not point guards, but we shouldn't immediately go -10 and be unable to even play a semblance of a half court offense without our point guard.

I greatly look forward to next year when on paper, we should have at least three guys (Jalen, Alterique, MAL) who can actually a create a shot for themselves or others. Vital should be better obviously as well. I've loved RP's spirit and charisma, but he was so below average with the ball as a 2G that it limited what we could do at times.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post. Those walks were a little chilly though. I did however like our end game fouling strategy. We as a hostile crowd were unable to make them miss. If a few of those clang it would have been interesting.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One thing that I found maddeingly about yesterday is that we could barely run any offense without Jalen. It was hard to complete passes, guys were confused about where they should be, and our other guards did not possess any ability to lead the offense. I know, I know Alterique would have been that other guy. But he's not here and in game 33 Vital still did not look comfortable getting us organized and after three years, Purvis could not either. I know both of those guys are not point guards, but we shouldn't immediately go -10 and be unable to even play a semblance of a half court offense without our point guard.

I greatly look forward to next year when on paper, we should have at least three guys (Jalen, Alterique, MAL) who can actually a create a shot for themselves or others. Vital should be better obviously as well. I've loved RP's spirit and charisma, but he was so below average with the ball as a 2G that it limited what we could do at times.
It's a miracle we were only down 12 at the break. The offense is so bad with Jalen out.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My biggest takeaway from the season is how we got down early nearly every game, even the ones we won. I'd like to see Ollie get the team to focus on winning in four minute increments - starting with the first four. We also had more scoring droughts this year than I can ever remember. We need a guy who when things aren't going well says, "Give me the damn ball! I'm doing this!" and can create off the dribble. Also, give me a big man with some semblance of a post move who can finish.

Reaction Score
champs very good post I enjoyed it and feel the same way. I mean it just sucks when UConn basketball is over, heck even after winning NC's.

The only thing I will say and of course you will all expect this, let's not throw Enoch all the blame. Because while he wasn't good on D the other guy was putrid on O, a turnover machine some may not even be in the numbers but just going through him hurts the team he can't pass (he did throw one real good one which he caught and immediately found Vital on top for a 3) and certainly has no chance of scoring the ball, makes us play 4 on 5 all the time. Missed several opportunities to turn and score, we threw him the ball a lot he did zero with it. It's over, they both have weaknesses in a large way, one's gone the other can improve. Let's root for the one to improve because that's all we have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I left for Hartford Thursday afternoon and got back to northern mass a couple hours ago. As far as sentiment goes, they don't get much deeper than this one: I live for this stuff. To be able to wake up every morning, eat breakfast, walk about a mile to the XL center so I don't feel like a complete fat ass for stuffing myself all day, take in some high-major basketball from wherever I want to sit, and lose my mind to root on the Huskies...that's as good a mini-vacation as you can possibly have. I would have given anything to stick around another 24 hours, but hey, even in one of the worst years in recent program history, they give me memories I'll have forever. People that only look at the record or the final score are missing so much.

The on-court product went from terrible to good to I don't even know because their were too many fouls. The coaching was largely good, though I remain frustrated by their collective lack of urgency when it comes to making obvious tactical concessions to disguise what their personnel can't do. To me, the three games I saw at the conference tournament - two from right behind the bench and one from section 202 - solidified the belief that this team massively under-achieved. To not have them dancing is a failure, even if the long-term trajectory of the program trends upward due to the excellent work they have done in other areas.

But that can come for another day. This one stings, and it is especially frustrating because, even with all the injuries, even with all the young guys we're playing, and even with all of the bad things that have happened to us, this game was so, so winnable. And we fouled ourselves out of the nuclear opportunity to potentially fill the arena for sunday and storm into the NCAA tournament. Cincinnati and SMU are better than us, but I still think man for man, everybody at their best, we're more talented.

A couple brief thoughts:

- It is difficult to gauge from the upper-sections whether the calls being made on the court are good ones, so I don't really have anything for you on that front. But Cincinnati shot 46 free throws, which is too absurd to gloss over. Either we got screwed or we were way too undisciplined. On that front:

- The strategy when we got within two minutes was terrible. We cut it to five at one point within the last minute, and instead of trapping and at least making them advance it past half-court, they gave the foul right away. You need to force at least one turnover there if you're down that much. The odds of winning the game otherwise are infinitesimal.

- Enoch's defense killed us in that game. Jackson's was not very good, at any point in the tournament, either. That brings me to my next point.

- We're going to miss the three seniors a lot more than people realize. They were our stalwarts on that end, and while they were inconsistent at best offensively, they would always put it together for just long enough that you believed they could be great. In a lot of ways, this was the most fitting of ways for it to end, losing a game that it doesn't actually feel like we lost, not because mistakes weren't made but because at no point did it feel like the stars ever aligned. Speaking of:

- In retrospect, it really seemed like Jalen was starting to put it together before he turned his ankle against SMU. In the 11 games before the injury, he was averaging 15 points, 7 assists, and 4 rebounds on 43/40/88 shooting splits. We had also just come off a five game stretch in which we were playing our best ball of the season - we had gotten our signature win @ UCF, gutted one out @ Temple, come back against Memphis, walloped South Florida by a starting 59 points, and led Houston by double digits at the half before succumbing to fatigue. In the three games after the injury he was at 8/5/4 on 36% shooting and against Houston and Cincinnati he was sensational. I'm trying not to exaggerate, but I can't think of a single player I'd take over him next season - assuming the expected players depart - if I were starting a team. He made a top ten defense look straight up bad at times.

- With Jalen in mind, serious questions will have to be asked of the staff if we can't score points next year. Between him, the expected improvements from Jackson and Vital, Gilbert, Durham, Enoch, and whatever we get from a recovering Larrier, there is going to be plenty of opportunity to finally boast an explosive offense.

- Again, though, plenty of question marks on the other end. We will miss Brimah a lot for the reason that it is easier to build a functional offense around Brimah's limitations than it is to build a defense around Enoch's. I trust Vital to eventually fill Purvis' shoes defensively, but it likely won't be as soon as next season, and I have questions about Gilbert's ability to defend. If you trot out a lineup of Adams-Gilbert-Jackson-Larrier-Enoch you're going to get scored defensively. Our best bet is somebody like Durham making the leap to a transformative defensive player, which I think is possible. Otherwise, Enoch or somebody else will have to step up.
Durham weighs 30 pounds. Larrier is a stick. Durham just can't be relied on to power up on a post move. Our offense yesterday keyed on getting open from the perimeter and Cincy covered us like a blanket. Yes we made the same number of 3's but their production was inside (at the line) with Clark making FT's and we had nothing. Enoch will give us post offense when fed, but if we are relying on 6'7 guys the key may be Diarra. He looks muscular and is a rebounder, right? If he's going to battle and get to the line then OK maybe we can get by, but the idea that Larrier and Gilbert's return cover our doughnut problem is not realistic. We have to be able to play all types of teams and going small all the time makes us vulnerable in a lot of games.

Reaction Score
Well sorry but you didn't watch close enough last year. Nothing great there but he was better.
Never said he was great last year, a lot of people on this board had high expectations for Enoch this year, I never have because he's always been a poor defender, poor passer, poor rebounder, and this year his jump shot, footwork, and his play around the basket has gotten worse.

Hopefully in the upcoming years Enoch can improve.

Reaction Score
Brimah was by a mile. He's awful. He sucked again last night.

Durham was terrible but hard to measure him yet.

Enoch lost on defense.

Most disappointing player all season, Enoch, actually got worse from last year.

Reaction Score
Durham weighs 30 pounds. Larrier is a stick. Durham just can't be relied on to power up on a post move. Our offense yesterday keyed on getting open from the perimeter and Cincy covered us like a blanket. Yes we made the same number of 3's but their production was inside (at the line) with Clark making FT's and we had nothing. Enoch will give us post offense when fed, but if we are relying on 6'7 guys the key may be Diarra. He looks muscular and is a rebounder, right? If he's going to battle and get to the line then OK maybe we can get by, but the idea that Larrier and Gilbert's return cover our doughnut problem is not realistic. We have to be able to play all types of teams and going small all the time makes us vulnerable in a lot of games.
Durham has upside, we have to remember this is a kid who just came off two ACL injuries, a lot of us didn't even expect him to play this year.

He obviously needs to work in the offseason on getting his legs and lower body in general stronger, I believe he will.

Reaction Score
Brimah was by a mile. He's awful. He sucked again last night.

Durham was terrible but hard to measure him yet.

Enoch lost on defense.
Brimah has been the same player for the last two years, Enoch actually got worse this year and a lot of you had very high expectations for him.

As far as Durham, a lot of us didn't even expect him to play coming off two ACL injuries so I wouldn't phrase his season as a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Never said he was great last year, a lot of people on this board had high expectations for Enoch this year, I never have because he's always been a poor defender, poor passer, poor rebounder, and this year his jump shot, footwork, and his play around the basket has gotten worse.

Hopefully in the upcoming years Enoch can improve.

That's what you saw fair enough. Certainly not a good defender no denying that, the offensive side he was better. Long way to go for him hopefully he gets it.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Has a player regressed more from freshman-to-senior year than Brimah?

Reaction Score
That's what you saw fair enough. Certainly not a good defender no denying that, the offensive side he was better. Long way to go for him hopefully he gets it.
Just an FYI.....

Enoch shot .543 from the field last year. This year he shot .410 from the field.

How is that even possible for a big man who is seven foot to shoot 41 percent from the field for the season?

Feel bad, but what an atrocious season he had, I can't lie about it.

Reaction Score
You watch Harry Giles lately?

have to wait on Durham.

Need to find some combination from Cobb, SE, Durham, Diarra, Polley and Carlton for 60-70 mins next year @ 4-5.

Guessing Larrier and/or VJ will play some 4.

As far as Durham, a lot of us didn't even expect him to play coming off two ACL injuries so I wouldn't phrase his season as a disappointment.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Brimah didn't regress, he just never improved.
He showed SOME offensive promise as a frosh. Barely any this year. Perhaps he never recovered from the injury/surgery.

Reaction Score
I think Enoch needs a Bigs Coach.

Don't know if there will be any staff changes this off season, but if there is, how about moving Kevin Freeman up to coach the bigs? He was an undersized PF but he was always effective down low.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Don't know if there will be any staff changes this off season, but if there is, how about moving Kevin Freeman up to coach the bigs? He was an undersized PF but he was always effective down low.
Can't forget how he and Voskuhl/Wane blanketed Elton Brand("blanketed" a relative term, of course) with the big-to-big strategy.

Reaction Score
A must is Enoch improving his defense. Has a hard time getting the right position on his man. Literally, they go right around him.
Like others I think Durham will be real good. Needs to get his legs right and grow into his body. Easy to say get bigger -some guys can do it some can't.
Needs to be put in position to create a problem for the opposition.

Diarra is a mystery to me. Hope he is thd banger we were missing. Looks to be a great teammate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom