Some Olympics afterthoughts | The Boneyard

Some Olympics afterthoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
First, I can't imagine having a better anchor lineup than Al Michaels, Bob Costas and Dan Patrick. Simply outstanding. Maybe the occasional PBP or analyst (Ann Meyers and Brandi Chastain come to mind) was less than perfection, but no topping of Al, Bob and Dan.

Much has been said and written about the magnificence of American women athletes. All deserved and let's keep it going!

Permit a few comments about that splendid closing ceremony.

Whoever controlled the lighting effects is certainly some electrician! I kept saying, "How in the hell do they do these things?"

I did not connect with all the contemporary music and thought the highlight was the presentation of John Lennon's "Imagine." Simply breathtakingly moving.

I wish (just for us old fogeys) that when they launched the London street scene to start the ceremony that they would have reached back and played "Downtown" by Petula Clark.

And I thought a little more of Andrew Lloyd Weber's music (and Sarah Brightman to sing it) would have been a nice touch.

Finally, most people probably didn't notice that Edward Elgar's "Salut d'Amout" was the opening theme song. Elgar was an English composer who gave all our graduation ceremonies "Land of Hope and Glory." He was also a veddy veddy tweedy and conservative English gentleman of the Victorian era.

He also fell madly in love with a young lady named Caroline Alice Roberts and he presented the score of "Salut d'Amour" to her as an engagement present. It must have worked because they married soon thereafter and lived happily ever after.

My daughter has by now played "Salut d'Amour" (right after exchange of vows) at over 50 weddings.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I could do without Ryan Seacrest and Mary Carillo. I can understand NBC using Ryan as he might bring in a different demographics then Costa, Michaels and Patrick bring. I don't see the value that Carillo brings to the telecast.

Reaction Score
Considering the technical difficulties of presenting an event with so many venues and different sports, I thought everyone (London, NBC, et al.) involved did a spectacular job.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Spectacular Olympics in a very special city. First time having all the events on-line which I thought was great for those who could connect.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
First, I can't imagine having a better anchor lineup than Al Michaels, Bob Costas and Dan Patrick. Simply outstanding. Maybe the occasional PBP or analyst (Ann Meyers and Brandi Chastain come to mind) was less than perfection, but no topping of Al, Bob and Dan.

Much has been said and written about the magnificence of American women athletes. All deserved and let's keep it going!

Permit a few comments about that splendid closing ceremony.

Whoever controlled the lighting effects is certainly some electrician! I kept saying, "How in the hell do they do these things?"

I did not connect with all the contemporary music and thought the highlight was the presentation of John Lennon's "Imagine." Simply breathtakingly moving.

I wish (just for us old fogeys) that when they launched the London street scene to start the ceremony that they would have reached back and played "Downtown" by Petula Clark. Yeah!

And I thought a little more of Andrew Lloyd Weber's music (and Sarah Brightman to sing it) would have been a nice touch.

Finally, most people probably didn't notice that Edward Elgar's "Salut d'Amout" was the opening theme song. Elgar was an English composer who gave all our graduation ceremonies "Land of Hope and Glory." He was also a veddy veddy tweedy and conservative English gentleman of the Victorian era.
He also fell madly in love with a young lady named Caroline Alice Roberts and he presented the score of "Salut d'Amour" to her as an engagement present. It must have worked because they married soon thereafter and lived happily ever after.

My daughter has by now played "Salut d'Amour" (right after exchange of vows) at over 50 weddings.

At one point in the ceremonies I thought I heard the opening of music from "Phantom" and was holding my breath waiting for Sarah. No such luck!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting that the pensive trumpet fanfare they used to announce the dousing of the flame was not Brit at all but the theme of one of my favorite American movies: 'Dancing with Wolves'.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
what the heck, I'll chime in too..

Bob Costa is good at what he does, but he's gotta start laying off the Botox. Al Michaels show that a little wrinkle and a little bit of bag-eyes conveys maturity, calm objectivity. Bob's not at the Kenny Rogers or Bruce Jenner stage yet ("America's male version of Joan Rivers" somebody called him this weekend), but it's a slippery slope.

I was tickled that Eric Idle and "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" was prominently featured, complete with dancing Roman Centurions, Victoria's Secret Angels, and much other foolishness. I'm impressed at the confidence displayed when somebody (or something) can poke a little fun at themselves on such a big stage. Since Prince Harry was singing along, I guess it officially went over well.

Spice Girls? meh. "All the world's a stage, full of sound and fury.."

Reaction Score
I could do without Ryan Seacrest and Mary Carillo. I can understand NBC using Ryan as he might bring in a different demographics then Costa, Michaels and Patrick bring. I don't see the value that Carillo brings to the telecast.
I think Mary is a hoot, especially paired with John McEnroe.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could do without Ryan Seacrest .
People may not necessarily like what he does, but he is very, very good at what he does. And he does a lot. One of the hardest working people in Hollywood.

Reaction Score
I thought Liam McHugh was fantastic; The absolute best of the bunch. It did not matter with whom he was paired, he came off witty, funny, spontaneous, engaging, and quite knowledgeable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spectacular Olympics in a very special city. First time having all the events on-line which I thought was great for those who could connect.
A special city, indeed. The locals and the media said that traffic and crowding were less than normal. I was there. The sidewalks were packed 16 hours a day. A vibrant, exciting, historic, and beautiful city.

Reaction Score
Isn't Russell Brand's 15 minutes up yet?

Where were:
Bowie himself (nice tribute though)
Elton John
Rod Stewart
Phil Collins
Peter Gabriel

Really would have loved to say Barry Gibb join the contemporary peeps for You Should Be Dancing.

When they had the boards showing Freddie Mercury, why not just let him sing We Will Rock You and the band play? Not that Jessie J did a bad job, she was fine.

Still can't believe NBC ran that animal show, cut out Ray Davies and Muse, and showed The Who at midnight.

BTW, Roger Daltrey still has some serious pipes.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Carillo is by far my favorite tennis color analyst. She is also great on Bryant Gumbel's sports show on HBO.

But these are roles in which she is a reporter or the "second chair," not the main anchor or host. As much as I like her in her roles, even I have to admit she is best suited for those particular roles, not as the anchor of the broadcast.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm probably alone with this opinion, but I really don't like Al Michaels and I can't really say why.

I just have to wonder where his career would have gone without "Do you believe in miracles?".

Reaction Score
I'm probably alone with this opinion, but I really don't like Al Michaels and I can't really say why.

You may not be alone, but I'm guessing your opinion is not shared by many.

For me, Al Michaels is the consummate pro. When he is doing the PBP, in
whatever sport, I know I'm going to get a good call.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think they could have done better than scraping a drug addled George Micheals off a sticky mens room floor.

Add to that the Spice girls??? , and Queen without Freddie Mercury is just some more over the hill old farts trying to hang on to something long gone.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Tweet from David Feherty, the golf commentator.....

David Feherty@Fehertwit
Closing ceremony was borderline psychotic. It almost gave me an epilectic fit. And did George Michael sit on an air hose?

Reaction Score

I just have to wonder where his career would have gone without "Do you believe in miracles?".

Al Michaels is probably a victim as much as a beneficiary of that famous call from Lake Placid. It is going to be forever impossible to top that call, yet executives and viewers are undoubtedly holding him to that standard.

Reaction Score
Regarding Ryan Seacrest:

Isn't he a protege of Dick Clark and doesn't he aspire to fill that unique (if, somewhat vapid) role? That's not a bad benchmark for the young man to shoot at. He seems like a nice (harmless?) young man.

People may not necessarily like what he does, but he is very, very good at what he does. And he does a lot. One of the hardest working people in Hollywood.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think they could have done better than scraping a drug addled George Micheals off a sticky mens room floor.

Add to that the Spice girls??? , and Queen without Freddie Mercury is just some more over the hill old farts trying to hang on to something long gone.

LOL

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
No Rolling Stones?? No Eric Clapton??? WHHHYYYY???

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And, for that matter, who puts on a more impressive stage show than (Britishers) Pink Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom