Some information needed! | The Boneyard

Some information needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with lots of folks in this forum. The stuff is quite informative and quite entertaining even if the situation for UConn is a little depressing at the moment.

Could people in the know tell me the media situation in the five most powerful conferences. What are the deals and which of the media are involved with each conference.

My quick impression is that Fox is rapidly gaining on ESPN for college content and that ESPN's current strategy is more about the postseason. But what do I know.

Thanks in advance for responding.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
espn owns acc. if your a acc school your tier 3 first dibs goes to raycom. real situation all politics inner family

espn and fox both a a share in the b12 tv deal. i think espn owns slightly more.

the b10 network is 50% owned by fox, espn has a tier 1 or 2 deal with the b10 for games. the b10 network will be paing crazy amounts in 2017 when the contract is up for a redo. were talking 30-40mil a team $$ in 2017

pac network is also a fox network thing.

sec has espn and cbs tiers being spread out. sec is in the building stage of a rival network to the b10.

thats off the top of my head...

by 2017 fox imho will have huge stake in the b10, sec and pac networks. espn will have just tier rights to games at times for inventory but no stake. the b12 if its still around is slit enough where espn can't alone make moves. fox over the past 2 years has slowly taken espn out back and beat the out of them.

the way the b12 gor is, w/e the out is in it, it will be eposed at some point. fox will most likely pay off espn or give espn stake in the pac network when texas goes that league blows up...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
espn owns acc. if your a acc school your tier 3 first dibs goes to raycom. real ****ty situation all politics inner family

espn and fox both a a share in the b12 tv deal. i think espn owns slightly more.

the b10 network is 50% owned by fox, espn has a tier 1 or 2 deal with the b10 for games. the b10 network will be paing crazy amounts in 2017 when the contract is up for a redo. were talking 30-40mil a team $$ in 2017

pac network is also a fox network thing.

sec has espn and cbs tiers being spread out. sec is in the building stage of a rival network to the b10.

thats off the top of my head...

by 2017 fox imho will have huge stake in the b10, sec and pac networks. espn will have just tier rights to games at times for inventory but no stake. the b12 if its still around is slit enough where espn can't alone make moves. fox over the past 2 years has slowly taken espn out back and beat the **** out of them.

the way the b12 gor is, w/e the out is in it, it will be eposed at some point. fox will most likely pay off espn or give espn stake in the pac network when texas goes that league blows up...
Thanks for the quick response. I can't understand why ESPN with all that revenue streaming into their coffers gave away so much content. Could you explaing Tiers 1-3 for me?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1-2-3 as in media buys rights to the pecking order. so if espn has tier 1 rights to a conf, then they pick what game they want for the 12 noon slot. so they can go to the b10 and get wisc @ iowa noon on saturday. if they dont want tht game then it goes to tier 2 where who ever has that slot can pick it. if its not picked it goes to tier 3. tier 3 depending on the league can be the schools own tv deal with some one(see uconn-sny) or raycom(see acc teams).

i could be wrong tho so dont hold me 2 it...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
1-2-3 as in media buys rights to the pecking order. so if espn has tier 1 rights to a conf, then they pick what game they want for the 12 noon slot. so they can go to the b10 and get wisc @ iowa noon on saturday. if they dont want tht game then it goes to tier 2 where who ever has that slot can pick it. if its not picked it goes to tier 3. tier 3 depending on the league can be the schools own tv deal with some one(see uconn-sny) or raycom(see acc teams).

i could be wrong tho so dont hold me 2 it...
What's your spec or know of the raycom acc arrangement.

Reaction Score
Tier one: big time games that are nationally televised

Tier two: regionally televised games: ie big east game of the week. Or a regional espn noon game (ie your TV guide says ohio state vs Minnesota or uconn vs Syracuse)

Tier three: games that certain fanbases would be interested in like a noon BC vs Duke game that would only be broadcast in the dorms of BC and small parts of NC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
link

uconn would take a blood bath if we had to deal with the accs tier 3 bs btw...
Thanks again. You are the man. Just for clarification. I'm one of those guys Fishy needs to help with reading comp. Does the new contract still have the Raycom tentacles. I know the one a couple of years earlier did. But the article confused me whether Raycom is still in play.

Just lousy what Swofford has done to the ACC. No wonder FSU is asserting control. Me thinks it's too little and too late! I get the impression FSU will try to deep six the ACC and recreate a conference just to get out of the ACC deal. I can't believe they agreed to it in the first place. Someone on the BOT at FSU got some payback and now that person/people aren't controlling things.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Tier one: big time games that are nationally televised

Tier two: regionally televised games: ie big east game of the week. Or a regional espn noon game (ie your TV guide says ohio state vs Minnesota or uconn vs Syracuse)

Tier three: games that certain fanbases would be interested in like a noon BC vs Duke game that would only be broadcast in the dorms of BC and small parts of NC.
Thanks.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
yes raycom still is alive and well only thanks to the acc ocntract and family politics...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BIG12
First-tier rights: $480 million, ESPN, eight years through 2015-16
Second-tier rights: $1.17 billion, FOX, 13 years through 2024-25
Per-year average: $150 million
Per-school, per-year average: $15 million

PAC-12

First- and second-tier rights: $3 billion, ESPN/FOX, 12 years through 2023-24
Per-year average: $250 million
Per-school, per-year average: $20.8 million

SEC

First-tier rights: $825 million, CBS, 15 years through 2023-24
Second-tier rights: $2.25 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2023-24
Per-year average: $205 million
Per-school, per-year average: $14.6 million

BIG TEN

First-tier rights: $1 billion, ESPN, 10 years through 2016-17
Second-tier rights: $2.8 billion, Big Ten Network, 25 years through 2031-32
Select basketball rights (minimum of 24 games, men’s tournament semifinal and championship games): $72 million, CBS, six years through 2016-17
Football championship game: $145 million, FOX, six years through 2016
Per-year average: $248.2 million
Per-school, per-year average: $20.7 million

ACC

First-, second- and third-tier rights: $3.6 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2026-27
Per-year average: $240 million
Per-school, per-year average: $17.1 million

BIG EAST

First-tier rights: $200 million, ESPN , six years for basketball through 2012-13; seven years for football through 2013-14
Second-tier rights: Basketball, $54 million, CBS, six years through 2012-13

Notes - Since that was written, the Big 12 signed a new deal that bumps their per-team average to about $21M a year. ESPN and Fox split football, ESPN gets most of the hoop, plus the conference tourney.

The PAC 12 and Big Ten both have their own networks in partnership with Fox. However, Fox owns 51% of the Big Ten Network, while the Pac-12 owns theirs completely.

The Big Ten's contract expires in four years. They will need a bigger vault.

Third-tier rights in the PAC-12 are pledged to the PAC-12 Network. Their first tier rights are effectively rotated by Fox and ESPN/ABC with the P12N occasionally getting first call as well.

I think Big 12 teams retain their third-tier rights - Texas granted theirs to the LongHorn Network. I think the Big 12 teams also retain something like first tier rights to one football game and a couple of hoop games to do with whatever they see fit...this is a giveaway to Texas so that they can put a pair of football games and some hoop games on the LHN.

ESPN literally owns the ACC. NBC owns Notre Dame.

BYU owns BYU. Their network is a non-profit.

The Big Ten Network almost has what you would consider second-tier rights to games. ESPN/ABC gets first call, BTN gets second.

The SEC will reopen their deal and they will need a bigger vault. I think the SEC Network launches in two years.

Reaction Score
How is the SEC fifth on that list? Is it just a timing thing - their contract is the oldest?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The SEC's dollar figure on that list is not all-inclusive - I think they got about $20M per team this year from the conference.

They have a complex deal - e.g. most of the schools retain the rights to one football game. LSU sells theirs to CBS for about a million bucks. Learfield has the rights to that single game for Bama, A&M, Mizzou and MSU. IMG has a piece of the Bama game and all of the rest of the conference. (You rarely hear of Learfield sports, but they're a big player...they have the marketing rights to the Big Ten, I think.)

I think they are in the stages of renegotiation with ESPN and CBS and they're working with ESPN on the SEC Network....they'll likely land at or near the top of the heap when all is said and done.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The SEC's dollar figure on that list is not all-inclusive - I think they got about $20M per team this year from the conference.

They have a complex deal - e.g. most of the schools retain the rights to one football game. LSU sells theirs to CBS for about a million bucks. Learfield has the rights to that single game for Bama, A&M, Mizzou and MSU. IMG has a piece of the Bama game and all of the rest of the conference. (You rarely hear of Learfield sports, but they're a big player...they have the marketing rights to the Big Ten, I think.)

I think they are in the stages of renegotiation with ESPN and CBS and they're working with ESPN on the SEC Network....they'll likely land at or near the top of the heap when all is said and done.
So Fox has become a big player but ESPN is still THE PLAYER. Is the renegotiation of the SEC contract the result of adding A&M and Missouri?

Definitely looking like the ACC will rip apart if things don't radically change for that conference.

Reaction Score
If espn basically "owns" the acc, it presumably had some say in whether the acc chose uconn or louisville? any idea on where espn stood on that issue? what i am trying to ask is this: did espn support uconn or lousville for the acc?

Reaction Score
The SEC will be starting their own network, that will bring even more mula to slive & co, at the IMG meetings, an analyst said that when the big 10 renegotiates it's tv deal in 2017, it could be worth up to $40 million plus per school. That's a lot of coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom