Some Georgetown Game observations | The Boneyard

Some Georgetown Game observations

Reaction Score
I took my wife to the Georgetown game as part of her Birthday Weekend celebration so I didn't get a chance to post this earlier. I would have posted in the postgame thread, but that seems to have been locked... Anyway, my report on the game based on my observations. Take them with a grain of salt and remember they are my opinions based on my observations. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I have no coaching experience, but I have been around sports and athletes my entire life. So, here goes.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I realized that Geno was the shortest person on the floor for the Huskies when he lined up with the team, coaches, and managers for the national anthem.

Georgetown may be offensively challenged, but they played very tough defensively and they were not at a huge size disadvantage. They inside players were taller than I expected and they held their own. They were a pretty quick team as well. They definitely played with energy and did a good job on making the huskies work for everything they got.

You don't realize just how physical the game is until you see it live. You also can't appreciate how hard the players work when you watch on TV. It really stood out to me how hard Dorka was working during the game to get position for defensive rebounds.

Lou and AAliyah appear to have have hit the wall, so to speak. Both looked to me to be pressing and as a result are rushing things. Several times AAliyah looked to be attempting offensive moves before she had control of the ball resulting in turnovers. Lou just needs to see some of her shots drop and I think that will help her a lot. The lid has been on the basket for her since South Carolina.

The entire team seemed to be playing very tight in the first half from what I saw. Just couldn't put a run together in the first half. They did avoid the second quarter melt down. Once the Huskies put together the run in third quarter and got up by double digits, they seemed to relax and play better. To their credit, Georgetown didn't fold and their press caused some problems. The team will need to work on handling that as other teams will follow suit moving forward.

The huskies continue to play good defense. There are lapses here and there, but their defense will keep them in games when shots aren't falling.

Until the team develops some more consistent scoring options from outside to create space, the games from here on out are going to be grinds. They are playing teams that have seen them before and I don't think it is any secret that if you crowd the lane and restrict the Huskies from moving freely about the floor in the half court you will have a chance to keep the games close and you have a chance of beating them. That's why it was so encouraging to see Aubrey's outside shots fall. If she can continue to do that and Nika can hit some timely threes as she did yesterday, they will be ok. Maybe not as dominating as we are used to, but they have a good shot at winning the BE regular season and tournament. Definitely have to take one game at a time and not look ahead though. Villanova will be a significant hurdle in their path.

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about observations, watching on TV just before tipoff the camera was on Geno taking a seat and to my untrained eyes it seemed as if Geno was talking/complaining to Morgan regarding them "short seats". ;)

Reaction Score
I took my wife to the Georgetown game as part of her Birthday Weekend celebration so I didn't get a chance to post this earlier. I would have posted in the postgame thread, but that seems to have been locked... Anyway, my report on the game based on my observations. Take them with a grain of salt and remember they are my opinions based on my observations. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I have no coaching experience, but I have been around sports and athletes my entire life. So, here goes.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I realized that Geno was the shortest person on the floor for the Huskies when he lined up with the team, coaches, and managers for the national anthem.

Georgetown may be offensively challenged, but they played very tough defensively and they were not at a huge size disadvantage. They inside players were taller than I expected and they held their own. They were a pretty quick team as well. They definitely played with energy and did a good job on making the huskies work for everything they got.

You don't realize just how physical the game is until you see it live. You also can't appreciate how hard the players work when you watch on TV. It really stood out to me how hard Dorka was working during the game to get position for defensive rebounds.

Lou and AAliyah appear to have have hit the wall, so to speak. Both looked to me to be pressing and as a result are rushing things. Several times AAliyah looked to be attempting offensive moves before she had control of the ball resulting in turnovers. Lou just needs to see some of her shots drop and I think that will help her a lot. The lid has been on the basket for her since South Carolina.

The entire team seemed to be playing very tight in the first half from what I saw. Just couldn't put a run together in the first half. They did avoid the second quarter melt down. Once the Huskies put together the run in third quarter and got up by double digits, they seemed to relax and play better. To their credit, Georgetown didn't fold and their press caused some problems. The team will need to work on handling that as other teams will follow suit moving forward.

The huskies continue to play good defense. There are lapses here and there, but their defense will keep them in games when shots aren't falling.

Until the team develops some more consistent scoring options from outside to create space, the games from here on out are going to be grinds. They are playing teams that have seen them before and I don't think it is any secret that if you crowd the lane and restrict the Huskies from moving freely about the floor in the half court you will have a chance to keep the games close and you have a chance of beating them. That's why it was so encouraging to see Aubrey's outside shots fall. If she can continue to do that and Nika can hit some timely threes as she did yesterday, they will be ok. Maybe not as dominating as we are used to, but they have a good shot at winning the BE regular season and tournament. Definitely have to take one game at a time and not look ahead though. Villanova will be a significant hurdle in their path.
23 turnovers will lead to a lot of grinds.

Kat

Reaction Score
The Huskies have always relied on a strong transition game, using the fast break to score before the opposition has time to set up. Now, teams are working at making it a half-court game by not giving up the steals and getting back on D. Packing it in, too, which makes those passing lanes tighter--that's where a lot of those turnovers come about, from a player trying to thread the needle.

Yeah, we need more outside scoring but let's also give some credit here. Teams have gotten better. A lot of good coaches out there now, in this conference.

Reaction Score
As I said, Georgetown played a very good defensive game. Just as they did when they played the Huskies earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
The Huskies have always relied on a strong transition game, using the fast break to score before the opposition has time to set up. Now, teams are working at making it a half-court game by not giving up the steals and getting back on D. Packing it in, too, which makes those passing lanes tighter--that's where a lot of those turnovers come about, from a player trying to thread the needle.

Yeah, we need more outside scoring but let's also give some credit here. Teams have gotten better. A lot of good coaches out there now, in this conference.
Fast break: haven’t seen a comment on here yet- the wings are jogging. They’re running with Nika, not ahead of her. Nika‘s effort is a constant. Don’t see a difference in outlets, posts are finding Nika right away, or where she’s getting the outlet, still at least the free throw line extended on the defensive end.
We cannot be harassed by teams on the offensive glass and also not have a break. Our opponents have to choose one- offensive rebound or get back on D. Impossible to do both. I remember the old Celtics-Lakers series, when Boston had to protect against the Lakers’ break. They had to choose to either O rebound or get back.
Come on Lou, Aubrey, and AE, Sprint!!!

Reaction Score
Fast break: haven’t seen a comment on here yet- the wings are jogging. They’re running with Nika, not ahead of her. Nika‘s effort is a constant. Don’t see a difference in outlets, posts are finding Nika right away, or where she’s getting the outlet, still at least the free throw line extended on the defensive end.
We cannot be harassed by teams on the offensive glass and also not have a break. Our opponents have to choose one- offensive rebound or get back on D. Impossible to do both. I remember the old Celtics-Lakers series, when Boston had to protect against the Lakers’ break. They had to choose to either O rebound or get back.
Come on Lou, Aubrey, and AE, Sprint!!!
The jogging wings may be because we set up at the top of the key in most of the first half. In the second half, Dorka got deep and responded with more efficient offense. The double high post with the first pass into it really slows us down and used up much of the clock. We tend to pass too much, lose control of the passes or force them without seeing other possibilities. Our guard picks up her dribble, then passes. She needs to drive more, break up this predictable pattern on our offense. We are an easy mark for being picked off.

The packed in zones we have been playing against are a problem. Coaches need to figure it out.

Reaction Score
The jogging wings may be because we set up at the top of the key in most of the first half. In the second half, Dorka got deep and responded with more efficient offense. The double high post with the first pass into it really slows us down and used up much of the clock. We tend to pass too much, lose control of the passes or force them without seeing other possibilities. Our guard picks up her dribble, then passes. She needs to drive more, break up this predictable pattern on our offense. We are an easy mark for being picked off.

The packed in zones we have been playing against are a problem. Coaches need to figure it out.
Not sure I understand you. I’m talking about transition from D to O. I see that Nika shoves it up the floor like she’s done from day 1 and there’s nobody with her.
I definitely agree that our O is stagnant.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for your post, Ozi. I always like to hear from someone who's been at the game.

Reaction Score
Some brilliant passing, but also some forced, ugly passes as well. It's either hot or cold with this team lately, and I think Geno is looking for consistency. Hard to do with fatigue factor.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your write-up. A couple of other things our opponents ae noticing; UCONN has no depth at all, so drive to the lane and draw fouls. The refs call everything a foul, as long as someone acts as if they were fouled. So put stress on the starters, and force UCONN's bench onto the court. If a team has the resources, they should "full court " defense UCONN on almost every UCONN possession. It is easy to notice that, other than Muhl, no one on UCONN is a great ball handler. Half the time, Edwards has to be the point guard when Nika is trapped. The energy to "full court press' is matched by the energy to defeat the full court press. So, the team gets tired, and that helps any opponent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom