Some final thoughts on UCF | The Boneyard

Some final thoughts on UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
1. Don't undervalue this win. Seen a few posts blaming weather and sloppy play but UCF is a solid well-coached team that came in with a lot to play for. They dominated early and UConn adjusted (Foxx) to get in the game. They took a 3rd qtr lead and UConn answered. At least two of Holman's picks were influenced by pressure. I don't know if it's an aberration or a vision of the Diaco end product but this was a solid win.
2. The use of Foxx kick started the running game and opened up the whole offense. The biggest challenge to the over-simplified offense earlier in the season has been that it's so easy to prepare for and so easy to commit to defending one dimension. Rest of our opponents now have that Foxx TD run on tape, they'll have to prepare a little more honestly.
3. The key drive in the game, the answering td in the 3rd qtr, was kick started on a 3rd and long pass interference play enabled by Whitmer staying alive against pressure -- we punt there and it's likely a different game.
4. Little things -- we make that last extra point and my finger nails are undamaged by this game.
5. Nice to see an emerging ability to make chunk plays on offense and we did move the chains pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd qtr; 16 first downs I think after only 2 in the 1st qtr, but we still haven't been able to grind out 1st downs with a lead or a tie in the 4th qtr - those last two 3 and outs could've really hurt as did the missed short field opportunity after the ashiru interception.
6. Thanks, Husky football, for showing life these last couple of weeks. Sorely needed, greatly appreciated.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Can't underscore the fact that UCF was undefeated in AAC play in 1.5 years. That was a nice first pelt for Diaco.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
They have never quit. Except once. In the WVU game under Edsall in 2007.

I was talking about UCF. I thought they might quit down 16 and getting punched in the mouth. They kept fighting.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Must say, the game started started rather poorly and my first thought was, "Well so much for the hope the ECU gave us". Then it turned around and we really did take that step forward. For the first time this season, we have improved from one game to another. It makes me hopeful for the rest of the season and beyond. While we all liked what we saw in the ECU game, I think many of us were afraid to get too hopeful that we'd continue to move in the right direction. The UCF game, win aside, showed that we are moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom