Some fan: another akinjo thread... why? | The Boneyard

Some fan: another akinjo thread... why?

Reaction Score
Why isn't Hurley in cali with James yet?? on his aunts twitter all these coaches are there? I thought he remained interested.

Reaction Score
Hurley has so much to do right now that he probably can't afford to take a whole day to go to California. I like Akinjo and I think he will be a very good 4 year player wherever he goes. I would be very happy if we can get him back...but there are other pg's out there and maybe more that will be de-committing soon....and Yes, we need to get a good one.

Reaction Score
Who knows. He hasn't called me. Possibly coach called and he got the answer he wanted. Maybe we can get Hurley to open a BY account and provide us with updates.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe he has other priorities. Akinjo is good but our program does not hinge on getting this guy. Let's all chill a bit and let Hurley do his job.
Yeah but his #1 priority is recruitment and here is a kid who is a proven PG and those are not a dime a dozen PLUS he was a signed recruit. He can't be naming asst's until posting close and can't see what else is more pressing than showing his commitment than hopping on a plane and going out to hear the kid out. IMHO - the kid deserves that from UConn. Would he return to the fold? Who knows but it is something that I would guess most coaches will do. No the program doesn't hinge on it but not sure there are a hell of a lot of 4* PGs out there. Time is ticking ,,,,,

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I say use the two open ships on grad transfer guards this year. Then use them in 19 to build with his players.

Reaction Score
Yeah but his #1 priority is recruitment and here is a kid who is a proven PG and those are not a dime a dozen PLUS he was a signed recruit. He can't be naming asst's until posting close and can't see what else is more pressing than showing his commitment than hopping on a plane and going out to hear the kid out. IMHO - the kid deserves that from UConn. Would he return to the fold? Who knows but it is something that I would guess most coaches will do. No the program doesn't hinge on it but not sure there are a hell of a lot of 4* PGs out there. Time is ticking ,,,,,
According to 99 Hurley is all over Akinjo. So the OP is just uninformed

Reaction Score
Hurley has so much to do right now that he probably can't afford to take a whole day to go to California. I like Akinjo and I think he will be a very good 4 year player wherever he goes. I would be very happy if we can get him back...but there are other pg's out there and maybe more that will be de-committing soon....and Yes, we need to get a good one.

If Hurley isn't particularly interested in Akinjo, or doesn't believe he can get him, that's fine. Let's give him a chance to build his program.

But If Hurley wants him, the thought that it's too time consuming is patently absurd. One can make a round trip for a meeting in 24 hours. It sucks but I and others have done it. And it's not like you can't be texting and emailing (much less doing paperwork) while you're on a plane. Let's expect more of DH than not being able to find the time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
LOL! You are trying way too hard.

Reaction Score
I was refering to recruiting. Should have made that clear. Recruiting priorities.

Reaction Score
Why isn't Hurley in cali with James yet?? on his aunts twitter all these coaches are there? I thought he remained interested.
Speaks volumes on what Hurley really thinks, doesn't it? I think I am going to trust him rather than all the experts here on the boneyard.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Maybe Ajinko asked for some time to explore options? I've seen a couple of dozen recruiting threads over the years for kids we lost or missed out on, who then sink into oblivion. This could be MAL 2.0 for all I know.

Reaction Score
Let Hurley do his job for goodness sake. I'm sure he knows what he's looking for in skill sets, background and character. If anything, I would imagine DH wants to build some distinct team chemistry which has been sorely lacking. He's going to build a team not a collection of individuals with the highest rating available.

Reaction Score
I say use the two open ships on grad transfer guards this year. Then use them in 19 to build with his players.
I disagree. Unless we think another year will get us premier recruits we need to seed the program for future years. He needs to establish consistency. Think of next year as a rebuilding year.

A lot of our best players did not have a huge impact their freshman year. If we bring in two grads and they leave we have to reload the gun and play with freshman in the 19/20 season. That doesn't seem like a formula for success down the road. We should prioritize players that can get minutes in the rebuild year and use that experience for the next season. If there is one grad that we think can have a major impact, then do it. Anything more than that will hurt us long term more than we will likely want.

If we end up with a situation where we feel really bad about who we can get for next season, then by all means, grad transfers will be a best option. I think it should be the last option tho.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom