Some discussion of divisions | The Boneyard

Some discussion of divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think there you have to split TX and FL, and then go from there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there you have to split TX and FL, and then go from there.

That would be a zipper format.

UConn, Memphis, USF, Louisville, Houston, San Diego State

Rutgers, Temple, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU, Boise

Not terrible, but there would be a ton of travel in that format.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That would be a zipper format.

UConn, Memphis, USF, Louisville, Houston, San Diego State

Rutgers, Temple, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU, Boise

Not terrible, but there would be a ton of travel in that format.

After all this time, when anyone lists the conference membership, I still throw up in my mouth a little.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
After all this time, when anyone lists the conference membership, I still throw up in my mouth a little.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You have to put conference membership on the list of things no one can do anything about. There is no point in complaining about it or coming up with far fetched scenarios for Big 10 membership or anything else. It is what it is. That is UConn's football conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, I hat e the thought of replacing bottom dwellers in Pitt and SU w/teams that actually finish in the top 25.

Reaction Score
Here are the divisions I would like to see. I want 4 pods.

Pod 1: UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati.

Pod 2: UCF, USF, Memphis.

Pod 3: SMU, Houston, Boise, San Diego State.

Pod 4: Temple.

So let me break down how the pods work. We would have 4 unequal size pods.

Pod 1 would be the old guard of the conference. These are the good schools. These are the schools that really deserve to be in a better conference. Keeping us together in a pod will make sure that everyone knows we are better than the other schools. When it comes time to move on, other conferences will know to come take teams from this pod. They won't confuse us with all the rift-raft that has entered the conference. We'll all be protected together in this good pod.

Pod 2 is the Florida and Tennessee pod. All teams from Florida and Tennessee go here.

Pod 3 is the Western pod. You've got the Texas teams and the further west teams.

Pod 4 is the Temple pod. Temple is all alone is this pod. They might feel kind of isolated in this pod all by themselves. That's the way we want it. I didn't like their attitude when they came into the conference. "Oh, do you really want us this time, okay, I guess we'll join". They should have been praising to high heaven to get this chance. Get in here and suffer with the rest us. They better be careful, because, with the way Internet rumors can sometimes get going, the ship certainly hasn't sailed on the idea that I've put forth on the Boneyard to kick them out again.

pj

Reaction Score
Pod 5: Navy, Air Force. A strong deterrent against any other pods leaving.

Reaction Score
Think zipper works best or else you'll have something like below which would be very lopsided. North/South would really hurt recruiting for the Northern schools, so doubt they would do that.

East: USF, UCF,UConn, RU, Temple, Memphis
West: Houston, SMU, UC, UL, BSU, SDSU

Reaction Score
I swear to god. This is best post I have read on this board in months.

Pod 1 would be the old guard of the conference. These are the good schools. These are the schools that really deserve to be in a better conference. Keeping us together in a pod will make sure that everyone knows we are better than the other schools. When it comes time to move on, other conferences will know to come take teams from this pod. They won't confuse us with all the rift-raft that has entered the conference. We'll all be protected together in this good pod.

Pod 2 is the Florida and Tennessee pod. All teams from Florida and Tennessee go here.

Pod 3 is the Western pod. You've got the Texas teams and the further west teams.

Pod 4 is the Temple pod. Temple is all alone is this pod. They might feel kind of isolated in this pod all by themselves. That's the way we want it. I didn't like their attitude when they came into the conference. "Oh, do you really want us this time, okay, I guess we'll join". They should have been praising to high heaven to get this chance. Get in here and suffer with the rest us. They better be careful, because, with the way Internet rumors can sometimes get going, the ship certainly hasn't sailed on the idea that I've put forth on the Boneyard to kick them out again.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Hahahahaha. The only change I would consider is putting Memphis in the same pod as Temple and call it the "We Resorted To Letting These Teams In Pod"

Memphis is not any better than Temple- probably worse actually.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to put conference membership on the list of things no one can do anything about. There is no point in complaining about it or coming up with far fetched scenarios for Big 10 membership or anything else. It is what it is. That is UConn's football conference.

th

... but don't disagree.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would absolutely hate the zipper format.

Give me The 'Old New New Big East': UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, UofL, USF, Temple, Navy and then C-USA/Mtn West: Boise St, SD St, Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, Air Force.

I have absolutely zero interest in playing anyone of the new teams except for Boise State. I'll be livid if we lose yearly games with a Louisville or Cincy to play San Diego State or Memphis.

I don't care if that's bad exposure for the other teams or if it makes the divisions unbalanced. I'm a UConn fan, first and foremost and I don't want to see anymore C-USA trash on the schedule than I have to.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would absolutely hate the zipper format.

Give me The 'Old New New Big East': UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, UofL, USF, Temple, Navy and then C-USA/Mtn West: Boise St, SD St, Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, Air Force.

I have absolutely zero interest in playing anyone of the new teams except for Boise State. I'll be livid if we lose yearly games with a Louisville or Cincy to play San Diego State or Memphis.

I don't care if that's bad exposure for the other teams or if it makes the divisions unbalanced. I'm a UConn fan, first and foremost and I don't want to see anymore C-USA trash on the schedule than I have to.

Agree entirely. I think the only real downside to this split is that Temple is there. I'd rather send them with the other group and take UCF. But no matter how you slice it, it's nothing to get excited about.

Alternatively: UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, UofL, Navy, Army, Air Force, SMU, New Mexico, Nevada, BYU and Tulsa. Dump every other team, and call it a new all sports league. Much better than where we are now. Not one school you need to be ashamed of on that list.

Reaction Score
Jokes aside, I'm happy with all the adds. Every ship in the fleet is needed if we are going to have any chance against the Cylons.

Reaction Score
While we are 12 teams, just keep it simple. Current 6 in one division, new 6 in other division.
NNBE: UConn, RU, TU, UL, UC, and USF
NNNBE: UCF, MU, UH, SMU, BSU, SDSU

Once Navy and 14 are finalized, then you either look at a zipper splitting up the Florida schools and Texas schools where every team has a Texas and Florida school in their division, or put Navy w/ NNBE and 14 w/ NNNBE

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
While we are 12 teams, just keep it simple. Current 6 in one division, new 6 in other division.
NNBE: UConn, RU, TU, UL, UC, and USF
NNNBE: UCF, MU, UH, SMU, BSU, SDSU

Once Navy and 14 are finalized, then you either look at a zipper splitting up the Florida schools and Texas schools where every team has a Texas and Florida school in their division, or put Navy w/ NNBE and 14 w/ NNNBE

We as fans might like this idea but I bet the coaches don't. Having schools in TX opens new recruiting grounds. Only playing there, in TX once every few years does not open that door. Being able to tell a kid that they'll be able to play in their home state everything other year would be more valuable to the coaches. Now, will that matter in the final decision who knows? To be honest who even makes the call on this? Aresco? TV networks? School admits? Combo of them all?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Temple in the west is dumb.
Bring on two more west schools and put navy and temple in the east...

Ala HFD:

Uconn/ru/temple/navy/USF/UCF/UofL/cincy
SDSU/Boise/Houston/SMU/memphis/byu, ,Tulsa,Nevada,or UNLV(take 2)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Aresco favors East-West:

East: UConn, RU, UC, UL, USF, UCF
West: Temple, Memphis, UH, SMU, BSU, SDSU

Addazio also mentioned in an interview that he sees Temple playing in the West, so I'm guessing this alignment has some momentum amongst the schools.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2012/10/big-east-to-decide-on-conference-alignment-by-next-month/

Thank God someone has some sense about him, instead of this idiotic (IMO) "zipper" idea. I'm not sure I like Temple to the West, and I think that should be sorted out somehow, but at least the East-West concept has gained momentum with our commish...

EDIT: I would likely rather send UCF out West and keep Temple. Temple is starting to build a nice little rivalry with both UConn and Rutgers, and I assume that Navy will join the East when they arrive, so it makes even more sense to have Temple on the East side.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The new rumor is Temple will play in the West for 2 years, then switch to the East when Navy and one other school join.

East:

Louisville
Cincinnati
UConn
Rutgers
UCF
USF
+ Temple

West

San Diego State
Boise
SMU
Memphis
Houston
+Navy
+BYU/Air Force

I can live with the Eastern Conference. A trip to Florida every year for recruiting, and Rutgers, Louisville and Cincinnati every year. I don't want to play Memphis, SMU or Houston, but those will be 1 matchup every 3+ years.

Reaction Score
I would imagine they will arrange the cross-division schedule to where every school in the east is playing a game in Texas every other year at the very least; and likewise all schools in the west will be playing a game in Florida a minimum of every other season - solely for recruiting purposes.

Reaction Score
It would be unfortunate if we didn't play Navy every year. But, having said that, I'll live with that in an East--West setup where we keep our current Big East opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom