Some crazy game stats | The Boneyard

Some crazy game stats

Reaction Score
Duke had 322 yards of total offense (Duke was averaging 459 yards) and only 74 yards rushing (Duke was averaging 243 yards) with a 2.7 YPC (Duke was averaging 6.33 YPC), and they were 5/13 on 3rd down. But they scored 41 points.

How?

Mostly due to 2 turnovers with 1 scoop and score and great field position. Their 4 TD drives were: 44 yards, 10 yards, 49 yards, and 60 yards. Duke's average drive started on Duke's 41 with 3 starting in UConn territory. UConn's average drive started on the UConn 24 yard line with no drive starting better than the UConn 44.

UConn's offense was so inept, we gave the ball to Duke 3 times in UConn territory in the first half. Plus, Calhoun averaged 18.3 yards on 4 punt returns. Inexcusable.

College football is about being able to score points. I think UConn's defense is adequate to compete this year, but the offense is not.

Reaction Score
… and not to channel a former coach - if the offense could sustain longer drives, the stamina of the defense would be even better.
If the offense could sustain longer drives, Duke's drives would have started from worse field position.

Reaction Score
A big problem is the pass defense is weak. Too easy for receivers to get open. Another killer is UConn receivers can’t get open or catch passes.

Reaction Score
A big problem is the pass defense is weak. Too easy for receivers to get open. Another killer is UConn receivers can’t get open or catch passes.
I watched the WRs closely today. Drops are a real problem, but I think scheme is making our WRs look worse than they are as we are not having them run routes that get them open. Why no slants? Why aren't the TEs splitting the defense? And, Roberson is not looking all over the filed, he seems to lock in.

Charlton was an OC for 1 year at Maine and I really question his in depth knowledge of modern college passing attacks. When Lashlee was here (and I'm not a Lashlee fan) his offensive concepts were solid. And, when Mazzone was here for few weeks, he made the offense look like they had a scheme. Coaching matters.

Reaction Score
Mazzone used Tyler Phommachanh
Look up Tyler Phommachanh's passing stats.

Our QB play has stunk for years. Today was not below par, it was typical of UConn QB play for years.

Reaction Score
Duke had 322 yards of total offense (Duke was averaging 459 yards) and only 74 yards rushing (Duke was averaging 243 yards) with a 2.7 YPC (Duke was averaging 6.33 YPC), and they were 5/13 on 3rd down. But they scored 41 points.

How?

Mostly due to 2 turnovers with 1 scoop and score and great field position. Their 4 TD drives were: 44 yards, 10 yards, 49 yards, and 60 yards. Duke's average drive started on Duke's 41 with 3 starting in UConn territory. UConn's average drive started on the UConn 24 yard line with no drive starting better than the UConn 44.

UConn's offense was so inept, we gave the ball to Duke 3 times in UConn territory in the first half. Plus, Calhoun averaged 18.3 yards on 4 punt returns. Inexcusable.

College football is about being able to score points. I think UConn's defense is adequate to compete this year, but the offense is not.
Ridiculous performance by the offense. 320 yards iof offense should be 17-21 points .

Reaction Score
That’s a tough deficiency to overcome.

Reaction Score
I watched the WRs closely today. Drops are a real problem, but I think scheme is making our WRs look worse than they are as we are not having them run routes that get them open. Why no slants? Why aren't the TEs splitting the defense? And, Roberson is not looking all over the filed, he seems to lock in.

Charlton was an OC for 1 year at Maine and I really question his in depth knowledge of modern college passing attacks. When Lashlee was here (and I'm not a Lashlee fan) his offensive concepts were solid. And, when Mazzone was here for few weeks, he made the offense look like they had a scheme. Coaching matters.
There is almost no good creativity with our play calling. That's on the OC. Our WRs seem to drop a lot of passes, which didn't help the QB one bit.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the coaches are the problem. The level of recruiting is. There aren’t enough individual battles being won on the field. That’s why nothing works. All these coaches are not that stupid.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the coaches are the problem. The level of recruiting is. There aren’t enough individual battles being won on the field. That’s why nothing works. All these coaches are not that stupid.
Charlton had 1 year of experience as an OC before being hired at UConn. Is that sufficient experience? And, there are FCS QBs and offenses that look better than UConn's offense. Is that on the players? I would take Matthew Sluka form Holy Cross as UConn's QB in a second. I do think Mora might have delegated to Charlton too much responsibility to run the offense which includes getting players and developing the offense. It's just not working.

Reaction Score
Who is responsible for the recruiting (both HS and Portal)? Even if you felt the scheme and play calling was fine, your last point would point right back to the coaching staff. I like Mora, I think they need to go another direction with the offensive coordinator. Ultimately they have to really do some digging to find/develop talent that can upgrade the program next year. This is, for the first time in years a fairly experienced team.. they haven't played like it. It feels like they are missing something chemistry-wise this year

Reaction Score
UConn needs to become a place where more skilled players want to be.

Reaction Score
There is almost no good creativity with our play calling. That's on the OC. Our WRs seem to drop a lot of passes, which didn't help the QB one bit.
We don’t need creativity. We need competency. I’m flabbergasted by the absolute inability to leverage what we do have … like a Michigan tight end that hasn’t had a ball passed his way all season. Not running any form of counters or traps. Trying to pull slow guards around the edge against faster Ds. Running zero play action under center. Running trips on short side of the field. Running sweeps against the short side the field. Calling primary’s routes short of the sticks on 3rd downs. Never throwing to the middle of the field in a spread. Failing to extend the D. Failing to freeze LBs with slants and crossing routes at 12-15 yards. OMG I just can’t. The guy knows nothing or is brain dead during games.

Tomorrow I’d run 2 back sets under center with an I or split formation.

Reaction Score

How?

Great post.

Reaction Score

Come on Rich. You know that the coaches recruit too right?

Reaction Score
Look up Tyler Phommachanh's passing stats.

Our QB play has stunk for years. Today was not below par, it was typical of UConn QB play for years.
Don’t care. The team moved the ball much better. Once Tyler Phommachanh went down, Mazzone stopped. Just a different style of offense.

Reaction Score
Stop with the talent stuff. It’s coaching. Don’t forget what Mazzone did. In a week he had us moving the ball and competing. The offense as constituted is garbage. It is a junior high game plan. Get a pro in here then complain about talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok, you have one or more defensive backs who can’t keep up with receivers. Is that a coaching problem?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom