Some college football post season questions: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some college football post season questions:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carl, that's my point on the voting. I can't imagine any conference other than the SEC and perhaps the Big12 not in favor of the Conf champion model. Let a commitee seed the champs and the top 4 play.
That's what adds the most legitimacy to the reg season. If you don't win your conference, you are out. Alabama had no business in that champ game last year. Didn't win conference or even its division. What a joke.
The final four should have been chosen from among LSU, Oregon., OK St, Wisconsin, WVU and Clemson.--all champions of their conferences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'll make the case that last year was a perfect example of why it shouldn't be only conference champs, mostly yes, but not only.

I disagreed with Bama getting one of the two spots, but clearly they were good and one of the best teams last year. They should under the right circumstances get a playoff shot.

IIRC correctly the final pre-bowl BCS standing were 1. LSU 2. BAMA 3. OKst 4. Stanford. 5. Oregon 6. Arkansas

Under the 4/6 proposal LSU, Ok St and Oregon, get bids as champs leaving one spot for Bama. If Wisc ended up ahead of Arkansas then Bama would be out. I consider both outcomes completely fair and would produce a legit champ.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
SEC leadership today - was pretty adamant about a system that has the "four best teams" playing for a national championship.

What' the hell does that mean?

I think that the smart people in SEC football, if there are any, are terrified of the potential of having to actually rely on the ability to recruit for their programs, rather than rely on booster slush funds, and the ability to walk into a kids living room with their respective logos on their clothes, and immediately be at the front of the line.

That's my point. Start thinking about the questions up there, and you'll get there too. :)
4 best teams is code for 'determined by polls' and not necessarily 'best on the field'.
I love how folks argue about protecting the regular season yet complain about how a conference championship game could ruin a NC run should they lose.
It would seem that every regular season game would be pretty significant if only the conference champion were eligible for the playoffs.
Imagine the BET if only the winner advanced to the NCAA tourney.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know that 4 teams is the only discussion on the table, but god, it just works so much better with 6 or 8 teams. With a 6-team scenario and two byes, then you can put a clause that says to earn a bye, you have to be a conference champ. That way, if Bama is going to win everything without their conference championship, at least they would have had to beat out two of the best teams at the end of the year to win it all. In an 8 team scenario, then any eventual winner has to win 2 against the best to be crowned champion. Hmm. I may have just convinced myself that I like 6 better than 8.

Reaction Score
I know that 4 teams is the only discussion on the table, but god, it just works so much better with 6 or 8 teams. With a 6-team scenario and two byes, then you can put a clause that says to earn a bye, you have to be a conference champ. That way, if Bama is going to win everything without their conference championship, at least they would have had to beat out two of the best teams at the end of the year to win it all. In an 8 team scenario, then any eventual winner has to win 2 against the best to be crowned champion. Hmm. I may have just convinced myself that I like 6 better than 8.

I think first round byes for conference champions is absolutely a good idea. Before the conference consolidation, I always thought 12 was the right number so some non-BCS champs were invited but, if not good enough, were gone before the true big boys kicked off. However, with all the migration into BCS conferences and issues facing non-BCS conferences, I'm not sure whether 8 or 6 doesn't now make more sense.

I could see 8, where six slots were reserved for conference champs and the last 2 were available to anyone.

Reaction Score
I'll make the case that last year was a perfect example of why it shouldn't be only conference champs, mostly yes, but not only.

I disagreed with Bama getting one of the two spots, but clearly they were good and one of the best teams last year. They should under the right circumstances get a playoff shot.

IIRC correctly the final pre-bowl BCS standing were 1. LSU 2. BAMA 3. OKst 4. Stanford. 5. Oregon 6. Arkansas

Under the 4/6 proposal LSU, Ok St and Oregon, get bids as champs leaving one spot for Bama. If Wisc ended up ahead of Arkansas then Bama would be out. I consider both outcomes completely fair and would produce a legit champ.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
if you implement the conference champ rule, you eliminate any national debate or discussion about particular schools because rankings no longer matter. that's a huge part of the overall national discussion that happens. you take that away what are all the experts going to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom