Some Coaching tidbits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some Coaching tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Weyuo mentioned earlier...here's the official quote from Coachingsearch.com

UConn: Buffalo quarterbacks coach Don Patterson has indeed accepted a position on Bob Diaco's staff as UConn..

...unfortunately, it doesn't tell us what position he will have at UConn.

UConn: Sources tell us Buffalo quarterbacks coach / recruiting coordinator Don Patterson will join Bob Diaco's staff at UConn.

Not quite the same situation....much better when it goes from a rumor...to a fact. ;)

Reaction Score
Not quite the same situation....much better when it goes from a rumor...to a fact. ;)

I was just pointing out a thread that may have been missed due to Title.

Would be even better when it comes from UConn... Coaching Search.com had us hiring Lembo ;)

Reaction Score
I was just pointing out a thread that may have been missed due to Title.

Would be even better when it comes from UConn... Coaching Search.com had us hiring Lembo ;)

Thanks Medic...I agree about the official word. However, since it's coming from the same source that gave us the rumor AND someone mentioned that they had it confirmed by John Silver, it sounded pretty legit to me.

Reaction Score
Western Illinois Leathernecks. He fits right in.
Respect yes, but a USNA grad and veteran of the US Marines would associate more with Western Illinois' nickname than a West Point graduate and Army veteran.

Reaction Score
Per Football Rumor Mill:

There are all sorts of rumors flying around linking Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly to the Detroit Lions job. However, it looks as if Kelly is likely to stay put.

If this ever happened, it could make things very interesting!

Reaction Score
Per Football Rumor Mill:

There are all sorts of rumors flying around linking Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly to the Detroit Lions job. However, it looks as if Kelly is likely to stay put.

If this ever happened, it could make things very interesting!
You have to wonder if Kelly is taking a look at what happened to Chudzinski in Cleveland and realizes he has it made at ND. He really didn't have that great of a season this year, yet there is no call for his head, he has done well to restock his roster this recruiting season.He can stay at ND for a while without people calling for his head. A team like the Lions is like a black hole coaching purgatory job.

Reaction Score
The lions are ready to win. Megatron, Stafford, the two defensive tackles. They just need the right coach. That said Brian Kelly is crazy to leave ND right now. Has it made as far as college coaching jobs after last year's BCS title game appearance.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Redskins staff is kaput. Kyle Shanahan would be an intriguing candidate for offensive coordinator but if Duke's HC leaves he might be gunning for that job. The offensiuve coordinator job is open at Duke also. Played at Duke and Texas.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Redskins staff is kaput. Kyle Shanahan would be an intriguing candidate for offensive coordinator but if Duke's HC leaves he might be gunning for that job. The offensiuve coordinator job is open at Duke also. Played at Duke and Texas.
thought the same thing about Kyle... but if you look at his resume, he might be looking to be a HC somewhere just to get his feet wet.. He's really really young still and has a boatload of experience... all at the pro level... I say if he doesn't get an opportunity to be a HC somewhere (college level) he gets another gig in the NFL, which is where most of his coaching experience resides...Would love to have him in Storrs though, if it were realistically possible...

Reaction Score
From Coaching Search.com:

Maryland:
It will be interesting to see if former UConn assistant Hank Hughes reunites with Randy Edsall at Maryland. Edsall has both the offensive line and defensive line jobs open. It will also be interesting to see if former USC offensive line coach Mike Summers emerges as a candidate for the offensive line job.

Reaction Score
Looks like Whipple is gonna interview for the UMass job. Good luck!! He's been there before so he knows what the score is but I figured UMass would be looking for something different. If he does get the gig and is quick about it he may be able to scarf up Weist and Hughes before somebody else grabs them. That would be a good start to building a decent program.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati: A source tells CoachingSearch that defensive coordinator Art Kaufman and defensive tackles coach Fred Tate are out.

Assuming that our DC candidate has already agreed to come to UConn, unofficially of course, I'm hoping this doesn't affect his decision.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati: A source tells CoachingSearch that defensive coordinator Art Kaufman and defensive tackles coach Fred Tate are out.

Assuming that our DC candidate has already agreed to come to UConn, unofficially of course, I'm hoping this doesn't affect his decision.
Don't really see any ties with Diaco, not seeing where either has crossed paths with him.

Reaction Score
Edsall has perfected the just enough to not get fired strategy at Maryland. He has the huge number of injuries to fight off some of the critics, he's gotten a couple of huge recruits in the area to placate the recruiting fanatics, keeps academics up front which keeps the faculty at bay and runs a clean program keeping the NCAA away.

Unfortunately he's not winning more than four games next year and will be shown the door.
The recruits and previous players were running away from him before Md forced him to hire Mike Locksley to stem the tide of the exodus but you're right about freaky injury numbers(maybe strength+conditioning issues?) and his perfecting mediocrity. RE will never be a great recruiter IMO !! Recruits are coming "in spite" of RE thanks to ML's magic touch.

Reaction Score
Don't really see any ties with Diaco, not seeing where either has crossed paths with him.

Cincinnati defensive coordinator Art Kaufman and defensive tackles coach Fred Tate will not return to the staff, a source tells CoachingSearch.

Kaufman and Tate both followed Tommy Tuberville from Texas Tech to Cincinnati.

The Bearcats finished 9th nationally in total defense and 16th nationally in scoring defense. Cincinnati also finished 9-4, so the move comes as a bit of a surprise.

Kaufman has a vast experience serving as a defensive coordinator, linebackers coach, and defensive line coach. It will be interesting to see if he emerges as a candidate for the defensive line job at Arkansas, his native state.

The Memphis defensive line job is also open.

Interesting that he would let these guys go with that level of success. Weyuo...I'm not suggesting these guys are candidates for UConn, though their success would likely be an improvement for us. I'm just wondering if it means that Tuberville has his eyes on the same guy that Diaco does for UConn. I'm hoping not!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know the circumstances of their departure (maybe it was their decision as they're going someplace else). If it was Tuberville's call, I can't imagine he cuts those guys loose without having whoever his target is locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom