Some Coaching tidbits | The Boneyard

Some Coaching tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • Penn St HC Bill O'Brien is gonna interview for the Houston Texans job. If he does go it'll be interesting to see who takes over that hot potato job. According to coachsearch ticker Greg Schiano has already reached out to Penn St in case O'Brien does leave.
  • June Jones is gonna be at SMU for 3 more years. Signed an extension. So I guess he's out as the next OC for the Huskies.... har har.
  • Jeff Choate(LB-Sp. teams coach) leaves Florida for other coaching opportunities after only one year there. Spent most of his coaching days out in the Rockies. Could he be a replacement? Hails from Ohio.
  • Hank Hughes coached at Memphis as a defensive line coach before coming to UConn. Memphis lost their defensive line coach. Hughes is from Albany, NY.
  • Could Mike Cummings the offensive coordinator at Central Michigan be the next OC at UConn? Crossed paths with Diaco when they were at Eastern Mich. in 2001(Diaco=LB/Secondary & Cummings coached D-line and special teams). He grew up in Jamestown, NY and went to school at Buffalo. Central Mich went 6-6 this year, no bowl invite. Their starting QB threw for over 2300 yards and they ended the season on a 3 game win streak. But..their offense was rated 83rd in passing yards and 100th in rushing yards.
  • Mike Groh, receivers coach for the Bears right now was the offensive coordinator for Virginia when Diaco was there. He's a Jersey guy. Could they pry him away from the Bears? If the money is right. Funny... looking at his past employment 2008 was the last time he was a coordinator. Since then it's been QB's and receivers but at Louisville, Alabama and now Chicago. I'm rooting for the Bears to get stomped this weekend. That could put Groh here next week.
  • That UMass head coach job is attracting some familiar names. Wouldn't that be a gas if Edsall got canned by Maryland and ended up at UMass to "build" their program. Would Brown leave BC to take on that challenge? Bet Hughes would end up at UMass if either Edsall or Brown took the job.

Reaction Score

• [ ]Penn St HC Bill O'Brien is gonna interview for the Houston Texans job. If he does go it'll be interesting to see who takes over that hot potato job. According to coachsearch ticker Greg Schiano has already reached out to Penn St in case O'Brien does leave.
    [ ]June Jones is gonna be at SMU for 3 more years. Signed an extension. So I guess he's out as the next OC for the Huskies.... har har.
    [ ]Jeff Choate(LB-Sp. teams coach) leaves Florida for other coaching opportunities after only one year there. Spent most of his coaching days out in the Rockies. Could he be a replacement? Hails from Ohio.
    [ ]Hank Hughes coached at Memphis as a defensive line coach before coming to UConn. Memphis lost their defensive line coach. Hughes is from Albany, NY.
    [ ]Could Mike Cummings the offensive coordinator at Central Michigan be the next OC at UConn? Crossed paths with Diaco when they were at Eastern Mich. in 2001(Diaco=LB/Secondary & Cummings coached D-line and special teams). He grew up in Jamestown, NY and went to school at Buffalo. Central Mich went 6-6 this year, no bowl invite. Their starting QB threw for over 2300 yards and they ended the season on a 3 game win streak. But..their offense was rated 83rd in passing yards and 100th in rushing yards.
    [ ]Mike Groh, receivers coach for the Bears right now was the offensive coordinator for Virginia when Diaco was there. He's a Jersey guy. Could they pry him away from the Bears? If the money is right. Funny... looking at his past employment 2008 was the last time he was a coordinator. Since then it's been QB's and receivers but at Louisville, Alabama and now Chicago. I'm rooting for the Bears to get stomped this weekend. That could put Groh here next week.
    [ ]That UMass head coach job is attracting some familiar names. Wouldn't that be a gas if Edsall got canned by Maryland and ended up at UMass to "build" their program. Would Brown leave BC to take on that challenge? Bet Hughes would end up at UMass if either Edsall or Brown took the job.

My friend is a HUGE PSU fan and personally knows a PA State Sen on the PSU BOT says the big $$ boosters want Munchak if OB heads to the NFL.

Reaction Score
If O'Brien does move on what happens with John Strollo, tight ends coach at Penn St? Does he move on with O'Brien or move back into new England, maybe at BC(went to school there), UConn as a position coach or is he a dark horse candidate for the head coaching job at UMass? He did his post graduate work at Springfield College. Maybe he stays right where he is. If I was Diaco I'd be making that call. He's credited for being the lead recruiter on a 4 star TE out of PA that's already committed to the Nittany Lions. Looks like he recruits Jersey too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ring, ring,.....hello, Penn State Football.....Hi, this is Greg Schiano and I'm interested in.........dial tone.....

Mark Emmert's latest attempt to destroy Penn State. Kind of pathetic, really.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well Maryland lost to Marshall 31-20. What's next for Edsall? Do they keep him? He did improve their record and got them to a bowl game for the first time since he's been there so I guess improvement can be cited.

Reaction Score
Well Maryland lost to Marshall 31-20. What's next for Edsall? Do they keep him? He did improve their record and got them to a bowl game for the first time since he's been there so I guess improvement can be cited.
If coaching doesn't work out for him, he's always got that fallback job waiting as a clown on the NASCAR circuit!:cool:

Reaction Score
Edsall is good for another year at least. Even tho the announcers yesterday overstated the injury problem UMd has had the past 2 seasons (it was a Ranfy love-fest on that broadcast) it is true. They've had some freakishly bad luck injury wise to key players. That, and the fact he has a really good relationship w/ their top donor from Under Armour buys him a longer leash.

Reaction Score
Edsall is good for another year at least. Even tho the announcers yesterday overstated the injury problem UMd has had the past 2 seasons (it was a Ranfy love-fest on that broadcast) it is true. They've had some freakishly bad luck injury wise to key players. That, and the fact he has a really good relationship w/ their top donor from Under Armour buys him a longer leash.

Rumor was that if they didn't look strong against Marshall that under armor boy was going to buy him out.

Reaction Score

Since he inherited a 9-3 team, there isn't any real improvement except self-improvement for St. Edsall. The majority of Maryland fans have seen enough. But I think he gets another year. He should keep them just a smidge ahead of the firing line and doom them to endless mediocrity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since he inherited a 9-3 team, there isn't any real improvement except self-improvement for St. Edsall. The majority of Maryland fans have seen enough. But I think he gets another year. He should keep them just a smidge ahead of the firing line and doom them to endless mediocrity.

Edsall has perfected the just enough to not get fired strategy at Maryland. He has the huge number of injuries to fight off some of the critics, he's gotten a couple of huge recruits in the area to placate the recruiting fanatics, keeps academics up front which keeps the faculty at bay and runs a clean program keeping the NCAA away.

Unfortunately he's not winning more than four games next year and will be shown the door.

Reaction Score
I wonder why nobody is hiring Weyuo's buddies PGDL? I guess Weyuo was wrong and those guys really were outdated and incompetent. I guess nobody is impressed by the whole "let's send a 170 lb RB between the tackles on every 1st and 2nd down" strategy.

How surprising.

Reaction Score
Well one down. According to Coach Search ticker Don Patterson, QB coach from U of Buffalo got hired.

Reaction Score
Anyone else getting anxious? Curious as to why the QB coach hire gets leaked, but not a whisper of anything else.

Reaction Score
Could be some are still in NFL playoff contention or haven't played their bowl game yet. No need for added drama right before an important, possibly season ending game. The NFL is going to really stir things up as there could be a lot of head coaches(5 maybe) getting the axe which puts many college coaches in play to move up into new jobs. UConn might not be able to field the entire staff till a lot of that, and the vaccuum it creates in the college ranks gets sorted out.

Reaction Score
Anyone else getting anxious? Curious as to why the QB coach hire gets leaked, but not a whisper of anything else.
Not in the least, but what supports an unsubstantiated opinion there was a leak of one possible assistant's potential hiring? Or, that something was leaked by anyone associated with UCONN?

Reaction Score
As Weyuo mentioned earlier...here's the official quote from Coachingsearch.com

UConn: Buffalo quarterbacks coach Don Patterson has indeed accepted a position on Bob Diaco's staff as UConn..

...unfortunately, it doesn't tell us what position he will have at UConn.

Reaction Score
Western Illinois Leathernecks. That is awesome. He fits right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom