Some articles showing why duke won't play UCONN at MSG | The Boneyard

Some articles showing why duke won't play UCONN at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah yeah they won in 2009 but that was then and much more recently they saw and heard the madness during the ncaa tourney at MSG and even in 2011, i strongly believe this is the reason the game is in Jersey... It feels that the fanbase has been rejuvenated with the hiring of Ollie, his personality, the teams chemistry and maturity, and that we just came off a NC in Ollies first year... The fanbase is hungry and supports the program 100% and will come out in force for any games now in NYC

Reaction Score
Duke would show up in very strong numbers at either location. A quarter of their student body is from either NJ or NY.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Duke would show up in very strong numbers at either location. A quarter of their student body is from either NJ or NY.
Yeah not saying they wouldn't but it seems funny they'll play there a lot but after this past year it's at izod

Reaction Score
It is weird and it does suck (not that we can complain too much about a UCONN Duke game in our neck of the woods). I would imagine MSG was booked or Izod somehow incentivized the teams into playing there but I have no idea what happened.

All I know is that I'm excited to see Boat and Brimah introduce Jones and Okafor to UCONN defense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It is weird and it does suck (not that we can complain too much about a UCONN Duke game in our neck of the woods). I would imagine MSG was booked or Izod somehow incentivized the teams into playing there but I have no idea what happened.

All I know is that I'm excited to see Boat and Brimah introduce Jones and Okafor to UCONN defense.
yeah, it's getting closer to first night, it's the offseason, and I wanted that game in the garden so badly lol

Reaction Score
I don't really think Duke is worried about a UConn crowd at MSG, the 2009 PNIT game was filled with Duke fans, seemed pretty much even in terms of crowd support imo. The tourney turnout this run was great, but that crowd isn't really reflective of what I've witnessed firsthand in these early regular season MSG games the past 5 years or so, which is totally understandable given the higher stakes involved.

Last edited:

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
One of my biggest regrets in life: not attending the MSG games this past season :(..... The sound of the arena was amazing... Still contemplating the trip to the IZOD for this game wish it was at least at the barclays center, heard that arena was pretty nice.

Reaction Score
But their student body is only six guys.

Reaction Score
Duke always draws well in NYC, that said, UConn would draw better (60/40) at MSG due to its easy access to Connecticut and UConn alumni in the city itself. Barclay’s is a little less convenient, could call it 50/50 there. As I have not heard that NJ Transit will run special trains for the game at IZOD, the only way to get there will be by car, which will deter some UConn fans who live on the other side of the river from going. Throw Duke’s historically strong connections to Jersey basketball (Hurley family, St. Anthony’s, Blair Academy, etc.) and a few anti-UConn fans living in Jersey from Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Syracuse, my guess is that Duke will have a 60/40 advantage.

Nevertheless, I will be there.

Reaction Score
Duke always draws well in NYC, that said, UConn would draw better (60/40) at MSG due to its easy access to Connecticut and UConn alumni in the city itself. Barclay’s is a little less convenient, could call it 50/50 there. As I have not heard that NJ Transit will run special trains for the game at IZOD, the only way to get there will be by car, which will deter some UConn fans who live on the other side of the river from going. Throw Duke’s historically strong connections to Jersey basketball (Hurley family, St. Anthony’s, Blair Academy, etc.) and a few anti-UConn fans living in Jersey from Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Syracuse, my guess is that Duke will have a 60/40 advantage.

Nevertheless, I will be there.

Given what I saw at the Barclays last season against MD, it is very generous to call a hypothetical game there a 50/50 split. I know it was a MD event, but UK fans swarmed that arena when they played MD at Barclays the season before.

Reaction Score
No team should want to play us at MSG, except perhaps St. Johns.

Reaction Score
Given what I saw at the Barclays last season against MD, it is very generous to call a hypothetical game there a 50/50 split. I know it was a MD event, but UK fans swarmed that arena when they played MD at Barclays the season before.

Barclay’s was a home game for Maryland, and they sold their tickets in advance hoarding the prime tickets and discounted others. Maryland was very much aware that they ran the risk of being outnumbered by UConn fans after being run over by Kentucky fans the year before and did not want to see a repeat.

Reaction Score
Duke won many of their big tournament games in East Rutherford back in their run of relevance in the 90s. Putting this game there is effectively them tipping their cap to that era and getting some nostalgia. I don't think it has anything to do with being "afraid" of playing us at MSG.

That being said, who cares. We could never play a game at MSG this decade and I would've still got my filling with this past March. I'm just thrilled to be playing Duke in a place where most of our local fans have the opportunity to go.

Reaction Score
Barclay’s was a home game for Maryland, and they sold their tickets in advance hoarding the prime tickets and discounted others. Maryland was very much aware that they ran the risk of being outnumbered by UConn fans after being run over by Kentucky fans the year before and did not want to see a repeat.
I guess its possible, but given what I've seen over the last 5-6 years with early season NYC crowd turnouts, a weak UConn contingent is something that is kind of expected for these games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I guess its possible, but given what I've seen over the last 5-6 years with early season NYC crowd turnouts, a weak UConn contingent is something that is kind of expected for these games.
if it's during the week against an ok team, the turnout wont be big... but if it's a big time game during the week against a ranked team or a rival it will be a big turnout

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Duke won many of their big tournament games in East Rutherford back in their run of relevance in the 90s. Putting this game there is effectively them tipping their cap to that era and getting some nostalgia. I don't think it has anything to do with being "afraid" of playing us at MSG.

That being said, who cares. We could never play a game at MSG this decade and I would've still got my filling with this past March. I'm just thrilled to be playing Duke in a place where most of our local fans have the opportunity to go.
I suspect that it as more to do with scheduling, and perhaps the cost of the venues, more than anything else.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the reason they aren't playing in the garden is because Billy Joel is playing that week.

Reaction Score
I mean it makes sense that they wouldn't want to play there. I don't know why anyone would want to play us at MSG. I mean you've seen what we've been doing there lately

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They should give us a home & home.
I used to feel that way. Now I will take quality opponents whereever we can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom