Solo breakout | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Solo breakout

Reaction Score
Games like that are going to make Hurley question who starts for a bit. I do think Castle wins the spot back but it’s a fight. Either way plenty of bench time available with basically the only 1-4 sub besides those two being Diarra right now in competitive games. Would be great to get Newton/Spencer/Karaban down to 26 per game going forward

At the risk of subjecting myself to the ire of the 'yard, I think the starter is Castle and I'm not sure it's close. I doubt Hurley is losing sleep over it.

Solo is playing SOLID for a freshman coming to a top-5 team and projects as a nice piece going forward. He's going to learn to pass better, drive harder, shoot more consistently, and end up an All-Big East-level player if he sticks around that long.

However, at the end of the day Castle is more versatile on defense while remaining fundamentally sound, and is a leader on offense rather than floating for most of the game. There's a reason why he's projected as a top-10 pick. He's almost a complete player at 6'6 if not for his lackluster shooting.

Both of them need to start shooting the rock more consistently for us to reach our ceiling IMO.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Once fully healthy, Castle is the starter all day, every day.
There is no way Hurley doesn't start Castle. A reasonable case could be made that he will end up the best player on the team by March; while Solo is good, no one is making that argument for him

Reaction Score
At the risk of subjecting myself to the ire of the 'yard, I think the starter is Castle and I'm not sure it's close. I doubt Hurley is losing sleep over it.

Solo is playing SOLID for a freshman coming to a top-5 team and projects as a nice piece going forward. He's going to learn to pass better, drive harder, shoot more consistently, and end up an All-Big East-level player if he sticks around that long.

However, at the end of the day Castle is more versatile on defense while remaining fundamentally sound, and is a leader on offense rather than floating for most of the game. There's a reason why he's projected as a top-10 pick. He's almost a complete player at 6'6 if not for his lackluster shooting.

Both of them need to start shooting the rock more consistently for us to reach our ceiling IMO.
It's not even a discussion, Castle is the starter. I don't even think Solo would try to argue otherwise

Reaction Score
Once fully healthy, Castle is the starter all day, every day.

It probably goes without saying, but he is really f----ing good. Even in 11 minutes vs UNC you can see him getting to his spots at will, directing older players on the court, freakish eye for rebounds, draws fouls, and he's unflappable vs. pressure.

Watching him defend Ingram a bit was great to see. It should help take pressure off Alex in those physical matchups he struggles with. IMO Castle will be our Hopkins killer this season.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There is no way Hurley doesn't start Castle. A reasonable case could be made that he will end up the best player on the team by March; while Solo is good, no one is making that argument for him
Yeah it’s not much of a question. Solo breaking out helps us have a microwave and potential instant offense off the bench.

Reaction Score
The Castle injury sucks and we would be undefeated with a #1 ranking next to our name right now if he was healthy, but Solo's extra development might be the difference between an Elite 8 and a repeat National Championship. I think it was a blessing in disguise for this squad

Reaction Score
Games like that are going to make Hurley question who starts for a bit. I do think Castle wins the spot back but it’s a fight. Either way plenty of bench time available with basically the only 1-4 sub besides those two being Diarra right now in competitive games. Would be great to get Newton/Spencer/Karaban down to 26 per game going forward
There's no fight, Castle is the starter.

Reaction Score
It probably goes without saying, but he is really f----ing good. Even in 11 minutes vs UNC you can see him getting to his spots at will, directing older players on the court, freakish eye for rebounds, draws fouls, and he's unflappable vs. pressure.

Watching him defend Ingram a bit was great to see. It should help take pressure off Alex in those physical matchups he struggles with. IMO Castle will be our Hopkins killer this season.
That’s what has been most impressive in the little we’ve seen of him. I think I mentioned it in a earlier game thread, but Castle just seems to have a basketball mind, a little like LeBron in that aspect (not comparing directly). He is always coordinating players where to go/look and picks out great skip passes very often. Just incredibly poised.

Reaction Score

Newton and Castle are the engines that drive this team. With both on the court the ball moves at another level.

caw

Reaction Score

I said “a bit”. I meant that literally.

Reaction Score
Solo would have to produce like he did last game every night to take Castle spot. Even then prob no.
That said our backcourt next year will be a bunch of pittbulls with Nowell and Ball , especially if we get 5th year Diarra

Reaction Score
As high as Solo got on rebounding and put backs was eye opening. Now we see he can drive and shoot, yikes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom