Solo Ball refining his game at Brewster before joining UConn (Gavin Keefe) | The Boneyard

Solo Ball refining his game at Brewster before joining UConn (Gavin Keefe)

Reaction Score
So do we think he’s starting caliber for next year or am do we need 1-2 stud guards?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m just concerned that when someone picks up their dribble in the defender yells “Ball, Ball, Ball” that he will be distracted and think that they are talking to him.

Reaction Score
We have it in Castle. There is no doubt that Castle will be given the keys as he is that good. We need a SG worst if Hawkins leaves.
He’s not gonna be guarding the point and probably won’t be running it as much as you think. We need another.

Reaction Score
Shooting is going to be the biggest decider for how much PT he'll earn. HS stats are notoriously terrible (remember when Andre shot "45% from 3 his senior year?), but if solo is actually shooting 82% from the line and 38% from deep, that's a very good thing. 18 PPG for. Team as stacked as Brewster is awesome.

I would expect some hiccups--he has historically been pretty streaky. But he projects as a bulldog defender who can draw fouls and hit the 3 to me. With the right mindset he's a starting-caliber player by sophomore year.

Reaction Score
He’s not gonna be guarding the point and probably won’t be running it as much as you think. We need another.
He will absolutely be running more than you think. He is a Pg regardless of what ya’ll think on this board. He is a good passer. There are articles written about how he will be a pg at the next level. He is a better version of Newton. He will work on his D and Jackson will be back to guard an outstanding scoring guard. Whoever Newton is guarding is who Castle will guard next year.

Hawkins leaving means we have no shooting guard who can shoot. That’s who we need to focus on in the portal.

He has a better handle than probably everyone on the team right now.

Reaction Score
He will absolutely be running more than you think. He is a Pg regardless of what ya’ll think on this board. He is a good passer. There are articles written about how he will be a pg at the next level. He is a better version of Newton. He will work on his D and Jackson will be back to guard an outstanding scoring guard. Whoever Newton is guarding is who Castle will guard next year.

Hawkins leaving means we have no shooting guard who can shoot. That’s who we need to focus on in the portal.

He has a better handle than probably everyone on the team right now.

I think we'll likely see him running the point on offense, if nothing else because that's how we'll support his draft ambitions. He's also just a really damn good passer.

I imagine that we will need another 6'3 or smaller guard to lock up opposing PGs on defense and to break presses. Andre isn't that guy, and he might be gone anyways. Perhaps the staff thinks Solo can be that guy, but I'm not sure he's a good enough shooter to earn that role yet.

Reaction Score
I think we'll likely see him running the point on offense, if nothing else because that's how we'll support his draft ambitions. He's also just a really damn good passer.

I imagine that we will need another 6'3 or smaller guard to lock up opposing PGs on defense and to break presses. Andre isn't that guy, and he might be gone anyways. Perhaps the staff thinks Solo can be that guy, but I'm not sure he's a good enough shooter to earn that role yet.
Sounds alot like a guard we already have who will be a year older and a little better than he was this year in Diarra.

Reaction Score
Sounds alot like a guard we already have who will be a year older and a little better than he was this year in Diarra.

He's kind of in that same Diarra/CFJ/Brendan Adams mold. Strong, tough, do-it-all kind of guard.

I think we can reasonably expect a tough freshman transition... Karaban's are not the norm. Solo is bigger, stronger, faster, longer and a better shooter than Diarra. Diarra is a much better passer... Solo's passing and streakiness shooting are the big pieces of development right now.

Solo's ceiling is the NBA. I'm not sure Diarra had that even at his best.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a lot of tape on Solo but am impressed with his mindset and athleticism.. Fine tuning that's he's received at Brewster on a loaded team has certainly helped.. I think his PT next year will be partially influenced by what our roster for guards/wings looks like after the season .

Kind of reminds me of a lefty Jerome Dyson..

Reaction Score
I think without question we need at least one, maybe two stud guards from the portal.

Diara can back up minutes but I don’t see major jump for him.

Solo will likely be a typical high ceiling freshman and contribute minutes with flashes of brilliance similar to Hawks freshman year.

I expect Castle to play starter minutes but we need another high level contributor or two if Hawk leaves.

We need 1-2 big time portal additions at guard to maintain our lofty goals. And likely a seasoned backup 5.

And Jackson is not a guard bc he can’t score.

If Hawk stays……drool.

Reaction Score
He's kind of in that same Diarra/CFJ/Brendan Adams mold. Strong, tough, do-it-all kind of guard.

I think we can reasonably expect a tough freshman transition... Karaban's are not the norm. Solo is bigger, stronger, faster, longer and a better shooter than Diarra. Diarra is a much better passer... Solo's passing and streakiness shooting are the big pieces of development right now.

Solo's ceiling is the NBA. I'm not sure Diarra had that even at his best.
I think he meant as the additional guard who lock up opposing PG and break presses. We all know Solo is going to be more of a scorer than Diarra will ever be.

Reaction Score
The Dyson comp is a good one in terms of style and power attacking the rim with some ability to hit the 3. The Donovan Mitchell comp playing guard above the rim is solid too. He is as fast as anybody. He will play significant minutes next year and be impactful IMO. Watching him several times in person has me sold.

Ross in person is very mobile, long, and active. He could have a role in a full court press. Sort of a Murray Williams.

Reaction Score
The Dyson comp is a good one in terms of style and power attacking the rim with some ability to hit the 3. The Donovan Mitchell comp playing guard above the rim is solid too. He is as fast as anybody. He will play significant minutes next year and be impactful IMO. Watching him several times in person has me sold.

Have you watched him at Brewster yet? I haven't seen him live since EYBL. I'm wondering how much they have him in a playmaking role--I would love to see him developing that skill.

Reaction Score
We need 1-2 big time portal additions at guard to maintain our lofty goals. And likely a seasoned backup 5.

As of right now, everyone is eligible to come back except Joey C. Not going to speculate but hope we have room for 3 portal players. Most likely just 1, maybe 2.

Reaction Score
I think most of the incoming freshman are going to want to play right away…plus I really like what Diara brings as a point guard… i hope Hurley doesn’t go in the portal next year

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think most of the incoming freshman are going to want to play right away…plus I really like what Diara brings as a point guard… i hope Hurley doesn’t go in the portal next year

Diarra is a dog defensively and can push the ball but his shooting numbers are horrible- both from 3Pt and from the FT line. He's a solid back up and I hope there is always at least one PG on the roster who is clearly better than Diarra. He has a role he can play on a successful team but starting PG ain't it.

Reaction Score
Diarra is a dog defensively and can push the ball but his shooting numbers are horrible- both from 3Pt and from the FT line. He's a solid back up and I hope there is always at least one PG on the roster who is clearly better than Diarra. He has a role he can play on a successful team but starting PG ain't it.

He was actually better than expected (at least to me) early on but has settled into what I envisioned when he transferred in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom