Solo Ball - 10/5 Interview | The Boneyard

Solo Ball - 10/5 Interview

Reaction Score
Comes across as a great kid. Always acknowledged my UConn gear when heading off the court at Brewster, and on more than 1 occasion I saw him signing things for young kids while giving them quality moments of attention without distraction. This interview reinforces that he is a quality off the court kid with personality and a great vibe about him. On the court, we know he will be a spectacular open court player, but now Hurley has said he made 11 3's when talking about the first practice, and in the 10/5 Hurley interview he raves about him as a shooter. Personality, accountability, ambition, athleticism, hard working, focused, and now a shooter!! Thank you Baltimore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson Jr. Jr.

I think he could be that type of leader for the team. Obviously completely different styles of play though. It's a little bit harder to be a natural leader when you don't have the handles/passing to run an offense like Solo, but he seems to have the personality to be a defensive leader. I'd love to see him be a bench-unit quasi-captain.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Comes across as a great kid. Always acknowledged my UConn gear when heading off the court at Brewster, and on more than 1 occasion I saw him signing things for young kids while giving them quality moments of attention without distraction. This interview reinforces that he is a quality off the court kid with personality and a great vibe about him. On the court, we know he will be a spectacular open court player, but now Hurley has said he made 11 3's when talking about the first practice, and in the 10/5 Hurley interview he raves about him as a shooter. Personality, accountability, ambition, athleticism, hard working, focused, and now a shooter!! Thank you Baltimore.
That is one poised, balanced freshman. Has a leadership vive.

Reaction Score
I see resemblances of young Vince Carter to the bigger reputation Antwan Jamison

Reaction Score
very likable and poised. his smile is his personality. My favorite part of the interview was when asked if he ever asked his parents to back off on pushing him. His response was basically, MY DRIVE COMES FROM ME. IF MY PARENTS HAVE TO PUSH ME THEN IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG

Reaction Score
I worked the NEPSAC AAA finals last year between Brewster and South Kent. Solo was the only player who impressed me on Brewster from both a skills and effort perspective. He's going to be a great player. Probably another 2-3 year guy who gets drafted in the 1st or early 2nd

Reaction Score
I think he could be that type of leader for the team. Obviously completely different styles of play though. It's a little bit harder to be a natural leader when you don't have the handles/passing to run an offense like Solo, but he seems to have the personality to be a defensive leader. I'd love to see him be a bench-unit quasi-captain.
I haven’t seen Solo’s game, but Andre’s game was SO unique as was his understanding of the game. The way he studied the game and the way his game was influenced by Pistol Pete made for a truly different kind of player. Andre was such a great emotional leader that I think that aspect will be the hardest to replicate for anyone.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Malcolm Brogdon vibe - good sized point/combo guard, super strong with an outside shot, head on straight, knows what he wants. Compare that interview to this one:

Reaction Score
I watched the entire interview last night as it continued after the Hurley’s on YouTube
This kid is impressive, the maturity and the .positivity,,flashing that great smile , cool , confident without being cocky , says natural leader handling the questions impeccable.. If he has the basic tools you just know this kid will maximize them at some point .
Hurley’s comments about him and his stoke and ability to learn ,have even got old grumpy me excited about a freshman which is something I’m reluctant to do until I’ve seen them play.

Reaction Score
Solo, what a fantastic kid and I haven't really even seen him play yet but Hurley doesn't recruit duds.

Reaction Score
“Solo can shoot,” Hurley said. “He's super athletic. He went from making defensive mistakes last week and not knowing that he even made a mistake, to now dropping an 'F-bomb' as he's realizing he made the mistake. Maybe we'll get to next week and defensively, he's not making the mistakes. But his athleticism and his shooting, I'm feeling great about him. I think he's going to have a great year. You never know how freshmen are going to react, but when you shoot it as clean as he's shooting it, with the athleticism and the pedigree, we're happy.”

Alternate access:

Why freshman Solomon Ball has impressed UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley: ‘Here with a purpose’

Reaction Score
Great interview! It's clear that this young man was raised the correct way with two parents that are engaged with his activities on and off the court as well as support from his older siblings. I'm confident that Solomon will live up to the hype and be a good role model for the mens program. I'm excited for this season to start to see how the freshmen blend in with their teammates. Go Huskies!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
but when you shoot it as clean as he's shooting it,
Clean was the first thing that came to mind watching those Shabazz clips. Like to hear we have another new shooter on the team.

Reaction Score
“Solo can shoot,” Hurley said. “He's super athletic. He went from making defensive mistakes last week and not knowing that he even made a mistake, to now dropping an 'F-bomb' as he's realizing he made the mistake. Maybe we'll get to next week and defensively, he's not making the mistakes. But his athleticism and his shooting, I'm feeling great about him. I think he's going to have a great year. You never know how freshmen are going to react, but when you shoot it as clean as he's shooting it, with the athleticism and the pedigree, we're happy.”

Alternate access:

Why freshman Solomon Ball has impressed UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley: ‘Here with a purpose’

Backcourts win in March. We may have the best and deepest backcourt in the country. If DC can get his points when he needs to but mostly defends, rebounds and blocks shots while the guys around him can all score this team will be an absolute nightmare. Defensively we should be pretty good also.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Backcourts win in March. We may have the best and deepest backcourt in the country. If DC can get his points when he needs to but mostly defends, rebounds and blocks shots while the guys around him can all score this team will be an absolute nightmare. Defensively we should be pretty good also.
Yeah. Castle, Spencer, Newton, Ball, and Diarra gives us a deep and talented backcourt. All of them can bring it defensively too with different skills.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Castle, Spencer, Newton, Ball, and Diarra gives us a deep and talented backcourt. All of them can bring it defensively too with different skills.
Newton,Diarra and Spencer have a lot of experience and that makes it even better then you add big time talent like Castle and Ball and holy sh... :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom