Solo Ball’s methodical approach to basketball, life and ‘becoming great’ | The Boneyard

Solo Ball’s methodical approach to basketball, life and ‘becoming great’

Reaction Score
A Mike Anthony special (i.e. it's a really long article).

“He struggled a little bit early in Big East play, and those games are really tough on freshmen,” Hurley said. “But it was really hard to give an explanation to him and his family, especially after, like, Carolina at the Garden, where he’s one of the two or three main reasons we won — and then six weeks later he had fallen out of the rotation.

“But I think he’s got a good chance, in my mind, to be the guy who makes the biggest jump for us this year. It’s like a bankable thing where just what I’m seeing every day — the shooting, the athleticism, the pedigree. He’s just got to get better defensively, he’s got to get better with his passing and his feel for things. But he looks like a guy that’s going to have a big year.”

Alternate access:

UConn sophomore Solo Ball’s methodical approach to basketball, life and ‘becoming great’

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree with Danny more. If Solo can improve his floor game-passing/seeing the floor/sharing the ball within the flow of the offense/commitment to D/boards- He'll really elevate his overall game. The simpler stuff/effort stuff. His athletic talent and shot making come naturally to him. Growing right in front of our eyes.

awy

Reaction Score
he's playing with tremendous confidence, really growing into the system.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Solo for his trust in the process and dedication to outworking others and putting himself in position to be great. I give him so much credit for how he dealt with losing his spot in the rotation and to refocus his energy to making the jump the coaches have hoped for. I thought it would be Stewart we would be talking about but Solo is the man and will have a great opportunity contributing to a 3peat and possibly dynasty.

Reaction Score
Article not long at all, this is what reporting is supposed to look like and could get even more detailed in regards to what went into his prep/development over the offseason. That's why I like and pay for The Athletic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Must be Solo Ball Day with this and the Self Scout on Storrs Central dropping the same day. One narrative, the other stats/film. Pretty comprehensive taken together.

He must have looked pretty funny with size 13s at 5'4".
Solo claims a 45.5 inch vertical.

Reaction Score
Must be Solo Ball Day with this and the Self Scout on Storrs Central dropping the same day. One narrative, the other stats/film. Pretty comprehensive taken together.

He must have looked pretty funny with size 13s at 5'4".
Like a Pitbull with giant paws as a puppy lol

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
When I was young and playing bball everyday, I had a 45 cm vertical, well, almost 45 cm. Now it's closer to 45 mm.
Heck, I can't even make 25 mm let alone 45 mm, LOL, it must have been our upbringing growing up in Ansonia. Once "The Lavender" now "The Chargers"

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This is a cool article - I'm one of the founding members (stats and times unverified) of the Solo fan club and a believer that he's going to make that "sophomore leap" we've seen the last few years here. I've always felt he was "next" amongst last year's crew.

I love seeing his depth as a person and his work ethic and focus being emphasized. Add that stuff to his athleticism and shooting? I'm ready.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If Solo elevates to what Hawk was as a sophomore and maybe more as he is blessed with insane measurable skills, Liam plays as projected, AK is AK and Stewart works and plays himself into the conversation as a first round pick……we will challenge for #3 in a row.

caw

Reaction Score
I know it was a scrimmage against URI but he looked much less hesitant.

Reaction Score
Great read. It appears that Solo really has his act together. I hope he reaches all of his goals. Thanks for posting.

Reaction Score
Seems like he is the most athletically gifted player on the team. We all saw it last year when he skied over players 6” taller for putbacks. Andre like at a lesser height? But he can shoot, I know his position is different. I expect big stuff from him this year. Castle grew before our eyes last year and Solo is that guy this year.

Reaction Score
Seems like he is the most athletically gifted player on the team. We all saw it last year when he skied over players 6” taller for putbacks. Andre like at a lesser height? But he can shoot, I know his position is different. I expect big stuff from him this year. Castle grew before our eyes last year and Solo is that guy this year.
As much as I want to see how he's improved as a scorer, I want to see how he handles himself in defense just as much. While it was just an exhibition game, seemed like Solo was all over the place making plays on D during the Rhode Island game.

Reaction Score
Easily most athletically gifted, but not quite the twitchy player AJax is. That comes with its downside (shooting). When Solo was on the floor last year it felt like he was in 3rd gear a lot. If he can keep it in 5th he’ll have a breakout season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The biggest take away from the URI game for me was how confident Solo looked. It looks like the game has slowed way way down for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom