Solar, revisited | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Solar, revisited

Reaction Score
I would look at generac, their storage system and a combo of solar with it.

Reaction Score
The Tesla roof is still kind of in its infancy, so maintenance issues and durability are unknown. It looks, feels and acts durable but who knows how it will age? I am just getting into building homes with solar. Getting the roof tiles involved a waitlist as of a month or two ago. In our market, we have one Tesla certified roofer at this point, but no tiles to be found.

Reaction Score
The Tesla roof is still kind of in its infancy, so maintenance issues and durability are unknown. It looks, feels and acts durable but who knows how it will age? I am just getting into building homes with solar. Getting the roof tiles involved a waitlist as of a month or two ago. In our market, we have one Tesla certified roofer at this point, but no tiles to be found.

Yes that's a problem.

Reaction Score
I own solar in Ct. since 2013 when there was fed and state tax credit that was about 50% together. 36 panels, then 12 more the next year for 48 total, they face East and west 2 roofs that are not steep. Total cost after tax credit was about 18K. Ct. Has some of the highest rates in the country. My brother was running $700- $800 electric bills last summer for a period in Woodbridge, big house, pool pump, air, some construction work. I am in the process of moving to Florida and have a house where I’m astonished how cheap the rates are here. You see more solar in Ct. than in Florida or Arizona. Do the numbers on solar and figure out the true cost. Are your shingles good where you’re putting them? What are the Kw you’ll get? The panels are performing every bit as good as 8 years ago without degradation. I get almost no utility bill from March to November when production falls off. I run air, cooking, hot water, everything including charging a hybrid solar car. It was a big investment but it was worth it and I must say worked out well. Be careful of the companies who lease it and make sure the numbers work with your house’s exposure. Find an honest company. My daughter wanted it bad on her house, they came out and told her no it wouldn’t work well for her.

Reaction Score
I want to get them but my wife does not want to because she says they look ugly. This is what I am dealing with.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Solar, revisited is the name of a great psychedelic indie album name

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I work for a solar advocacy organization in DC and would just recommend getting several quotes and doing your homework. The tax credit was just extended at 26% for this year and next year, so there's time to consider this as we get back into our normal routines post-COVID. Happy to answer any questions, and we have some resources here that include a list of questions you should ask companies that you get quotes from: Solar Customer Resource Portal | SEIA

can you suggest three or four solar installers for central New England?

Reaction Score
Damon Weiss at JDsolarsolutions.com based out of New Jersey. Small but good company. They did mine 8 years ago.

Reaction Score
I want to get them but my wife does not want to because she says they look ugly. This is what I am dealing with.
I live in an HOA community. I wanted to get solar panels installed, but was denied by the association because "they look ugly". I subsequently joined the Board of Directors in hopes of changing the policy, but I have not had any luck so far. People are ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I moved into a new house on Friday - definitely going to look into it - but need to redo the roof first. Thinking about the Tesla roof - but I worry about the cost. When I looked at it when I did the roof on the last house, the payback was nearly forever.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I live in an HOA community. I wanted to get solar panels installed, but was denied by the association because "they look ugly". I subsequently joined the Board of Directors in hopes of changing the policy, but I have not had any luck so far. People are ridiculous.

If it's an age restricted HOA, wait 'em out. As to them being ugly, I disagree, but won't put any panels on the front of my house. I live on a dead end private way with only two other houses. The front of my house is the only roof area visible by neighbors.

Reaction Score
If it's an age restricted HOA, wait 'em out. As to them being ugly, I disagree, but won't put any panels on the front of my house. I live on a dead end private way with only two other houses. The front of my house is the only roof area visible by neighbors.
I suppose that's the courteous (and perhaps prudent, vís a vís resale) way to go about it, given that a lot of people seem to have a problem with the aesthetics.

Regarding the HOA, the other board members will definitely be there longer than me. I'm still fighting the good fight, but I've already given up hopes of getting solar on my current house. I'll be moving out within the next 5 years (definitely to a house that is not part of an HOA!).

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Some states have laws that prevent HOAs from restricting solar. I don't think Connecticut is one of them, but we have a guide that has a bunch of details that might be helpful: HOA Solar Action Guide | SEIA

Reaction Score
As far as panels looking “ugly”, I have a black shingle roof and I had the panels installed flush to each other but they were totally black ones. The contractor told me that way they don’t stand out, it’s an option. They pretty much look like a large black square on a black roof, they don’t stand out. If you get the ones that have lines through them then you will see them more.

Reaction Score
I scheduled a consultation for next week. What are some good questions that you guys would recommend I be sure to ask?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I scheduled a consultation for next week. What are some good questions that you guys would recommend I be sure to ask?

financing
cost of adding panels now vs later
battery back up (likely not worth it)
Tax credits in state - fed is 26%
warrantee on parts and labor
any needed maintenance
down payment
ask to see layout
will the panels work during a nuclear winter?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
financing
cost of adding panels now vs later
battery back up (likely not worth it)
Tax credits in state - fed is 26%
warrantee on parts and labor
any needed maintenance
down payment
ask to see layout
will the panels work during a nuclear winter?
Who can answer the last point?

Reaction Score
There is no state tax credit now? I guess so. It used to be 25% and the numbers worked much better. Fed was 30%, now 26. Taking that away makes it a tighter sell. Residential solar rebate is $2300. Low interest loans up to 25,000 also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on a few prior years of energy use or cost, documented installation cost (T&M), projected maintenance costs, and current tax deductions (Fed & state), how many years will likely be required to breakeven? Follow up, how is the estimate quantified? Get them to show you the #s, in writing.

Reaction Score
When I did solar about 8 years ago they told me 7 years. I think it was probably a bit more. Now based on costs and tax credit reductions I bet it's more BUT, the cost of solar should be down. Make them give you a deal.

Reaction Score
When I did solar about 8 years ago they told me 7 years. I think it was probably a bit more. Now based on costs and tax credit reductions I bet it's more BUT, the cost of solar should be down. Make them give you a deal.
Yeah, I’m going to get quotes from a few companies. An investment of this size necessitates it.

I’ll likely finance it as opposed to lease. The tax credits (26% fed, 25% NY) make it too good not to.

For those who’ve had systems installed, how much did your homeowner’s premium increase, if at all?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m going to get quotes from a few companies. An investment of this size necessitates it.

I’ll likely finance it as opposed to lease. The tax credits (26% fed, 25% NY) make it too good not to.

For those who’ve had systems installed, how much did your homeowner’s premium increase, if at all?
There's no town tax assessment increase BTW and I just told my insurer what it cost and he said it would be covered under my plan, probably wasn't much. NY has a better de than Ct. Now!

Reaction Score
I'm personally not a fan of solar leasing. The magnitude of the savings will generally be smaller over time, and in a way that is "out of your control."

I think anyone considering solar should ask three questions. If "yes" to all three, then by all means go for it.

1. Do you have a roof geometry with the preferred characteristics? Preferably south or near-south facing, with minimal covering from tree shade?

2. Do you intend to stay in the house long enough to make back your money?

3. Can you afford to finance, or even better, pay upfront with cash? (Not relevant to the OP who said he was financing, but relevant in other cases)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom