Solar Installation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Solar Installation

Reaction Score
Just looking for information from those who have converted to solar. Just got a quote - with tax credit and DE energy rebate cost is not bad.

Currently not experiencing super high electric bills but looking at going with electric vehicle in the next 12 months, possibly a hottub/ swim spa in the next year also. I'm looking for savings, but really just like the idea of decreasing my use of fossil fuels.

Any do's/don'ts - the install does include screen guards so no nesting under the panels, house and roof are only 4 years old.

Any questions I should ask?

Reaction Score
And just did a quick check, and it doesn’t look feasible for the northeast. Need 100* temps for best efficiency, and below 86* makes it almost entirely electrical.
If it’s 86 do u really need a pool heater?

Reaction Score
Is there any time frame for the solar shingles? I think they look great and would definitely be interested.
They're out there - but less efficient, 3-4 times the cost of panels and can only be put on certain roof types

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread made me realize I am one extremely old multilayered roof away from even considering solar power.
Yeah. It won’t work for me. I’m east facing and have big trees north, south and west. Plus we’ve probably got 2-3 years here before we go to the Cape or another semi-retirement location. But I want to do it on the next house, with a Tesla power wall or equivalent. As for EVs, I wouldn’t buy one unless I had Solar. Our electric rates are nuts, they raised it per kWh to 33.891. Cape wind is going to make that even worse.

Reaction Score
We put solar on about 8 years ago, I wonder how much more efficient and possibly cheaper are the newest panels today? Also, I wonder how long before we should consider replacing the panels, what their expected life span is. Another questions (and again, I have the panels already), is should we have panels washed so dirt & soot doesn't reduce their production?

We can put more solar up on our property, going more and more electric as it is with cars and heat pumps etc, might put up some ground mount system as we have a lower field, but not sure how close to house such a system needs to be.

Reaction Score
The panels I am getting have a 25 year warranty.
As far as 'cleaning' - you can hose off from the ground - frequency depends on location and climate. Rain is a natural cleaner

Reaction Score
I have to look into this. I just had a guy come take down some trees. He said he researched solar and is doing it himself. You can buy the panels for a fraction of the cost and you don't have to split the savings with some solar company. I don't know anything about it yet but he seemed pretty sure of it. Now I need to research the best way to go split and store logs. I have a sledgehammer and wedge so I am starting there.

Reaction Score
I have to look into this. I just had a guy come take down some trees. He said he researched solar and is doing it himself. You can buy the panels for a fraction of the cost and you don't have to split the savings with some solar company. I don't know anything about it yet but he seemed pretty sure of it. Now I need to research the best way to go split and store logs. I have a sledgehammer and wedge so I am starting there.
Have you looked into a vertical axis wind turbine? Scores of people on Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket have them. I live up on a mountain in Litchfield and am considering one. A modest one about 18 feet tall in an open area will supply a lot of electricity.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm once again looking into adding a storage battery for my system. Has anyone here had battery backup installed?

Reaction Score
I'm once again looking into adding a storage battery for my system. Has anyone here had battery backup installed?
No it is very expensive, the grant didn't cover that cost and I already had a whole house generator

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom