Soccer's A Sport? | The Boneyard

Soccer's A Sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Odd that the Topic Title is "Soccer and Olympic Sports". Because soccer isn't any more of a sport than four square, kick ball or any other game that fades out after grade school.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Odd that the Topic Title is "Soccer and Olympic Sports". Because soccer isn't any more of a sport than four square, kick ball or any other game that fades out after grade school.
So it begins....;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So it begins....;)
Absolutely.

One of the problems with the old board was that it would take 1-2 hours for topics like this to spiral in to "Soccer sucks" vs. "The whole world can't be wrong".

Not anymore.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

One of the problems with the old board was that it would take 1-2 hours for topics like this to spiral in to "Soccer sucks" vs. "The whole world can't be wrong".

Not anymore.
But isn't soccer nothing more than the tip of the iceberg here? The title is Soccer and Olympic Sports. Finally an opportunity to have in-depth discussion about Synchronized Swimming and Ice Dancing...especially on Football signing day.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

There was a request. Time will tell if there turns out to be enough traffic to justify the board.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But isn't soccer nothing more than the tip of the iceberg here? The title is Soccer and Olympic Sports. Finally an opportunity to have in-depth discussion about Synchronized Swimming and Ice Dancing...especially on Football signing day.

Crap, I mis-read the title. Since it's "Soccer and Olympic Sports" and not "Soccer or Olympic Sports" I'll say this.

The summer and winter X games have made traditional Olympic sports seems boring. We all remember watching the opening of ABC's Wide World of Sports and the agony of defeat on the ski jump. To me that was the coolest thing ever because whether it was the 70 or 90 meter jump, once you went airborne, all bets were off.

Now they do triple flips with a couple of gainers and nail the landing.

And since the title is "Soccer and Olympic Sports" I'll make a comment on soccer.

Soccer sucks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Speaking of ABC's Wide World of Sports, remember the cliff diving? The American's would do all those spins and flips. All the Mexican's would just do a swan dive and win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Speaking of ABC's Wide World of Sports, remember the cliff diving? The American's would do all those spins and flips. All the Mexican's would just do a swan dive and win.

Cliff diving was cool. I'm a sucker for any sport that has humans free falling from heights.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In other other sports... if you like the Tour de France don't miss the USA procycling challenge in Colorado, airing this week on Versus an online at usaprocyclingchallenge.com . Some crazy altitudes in the Rockies, much higher than even the French Alps/Pyrenees, so the top ten is largely dominated by Americans and Columbians.

Reaction Score
I am an avid cycling fan. I like following the US National soccer teams as well. I could definitely do for some good cycling discussion.

By the way. The camera work for the US Pro Cycling challenge has been an abomination.

But it was cool to watch Hincapie take that sprint the other night.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score

You forgot the KING of all Olympic sports . . . CURLING !!

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I am an avid cycling fan. I like following the US National soccer teams as well. I could definitely do for some good cycling discussion.

By the way. The camera work for the US Pro Cycling challenge has been an abomination.

But it was cool to watch Hincapie take that sprint the other night.

Yeah I bet versus/NBC skimped on the airplanes that bounce the video feed from the motorcycle mounted cameras to the production trucks.

The behind the scenes documentary they show before each stage is kind of cool - got to see Vande Velde's reaction to getting beat by Levi in the TT. He was not happy. I find myself cheering for him because he resembles my buddy from HS. Hopefully NBC packages all the episodes as a DVD or something.

Reaction Score
He lost the first TT by two seconds or so. The second one by less than one second. Thats pretty tough luck there.

Reaction Score
Looks like Radio Shack and Leopard Trek could be merging. Which is really funny because Leopard Trek has been signing alot of Radio Shack's riders.

And I am sorry, Andy Schleck will not win a TdF until he can actually do a Time Trial competively. He could have won at least two of them by now if could figure that discipline out.

I am a little dissappointed that Levi Leipheimer won both the Tour of Utah and the USA Procycling Challenge. I was hoping Garmin could step up and spoil it.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dang, my power went out yesterday so I missed the last stage. Reading cyclingnews to catch up...

It's a good thing BMC has really stepped up so we at least have two solid US-basedProTour teams. That potentially helps the California and Colorado races' future. I though RadioShack was going to sign on for one more year but now it sounds like they don't want to.

I saw an interview somewhere with Jonathan Vaughters where he was trying to make the case for some kind of TV revenue sharing with the ProTour teams to make them more stable and less reliant on big sponsorships. He acknowledged it would probably never happen... too much politics between the teams, races and UCI. HTC-Highroad disbanding after failing to re-up should be a huge red flag to the cycling world but they're twiddling their thumbs. So it's adieu to HTC and g'day to GreenEdge and maybe SpiderTech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom