Soccer offsides rule explained... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Soccer offsides rule explained...

Reaction Score
I’ve sent a letter to the Olympic Committee demanding that Cornhole and Pickleball be added immediately.

Reaction Score
Of course they understand it. The USWNT style of play is such that they push the limit to gain the advantage and break in behind the defense. Sometimes they time it just right, and sometimes they don't. Unless a player has 360 vision, they are going to get offside calls.
Maybe you need to check your sarcasm meter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not that it will ever happen, or even that it should happen, but I think soccer would be a much more fan-friendly game if it basically followed the rules of ice hockey
You miss the irony, Joe. It's already the most fan-friendly game in the world. You want it to be more JoePgh-friendly.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Now can someone explain what the palming and carrying college rules are as it relates to dribbling a basketball? :)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
You miss the irony, Joe. It's already the most fan-friendly game in the world. You want it to be more JoePgh-friendly.
The second most popular sport in the world is Cricket (2.5 billion fans), but I'm not watching that, either.

Reaction Score
My daughter had a premier coach who on every free kick for the opponent he'd have all his kids on the line run up towards the gal kicking the ball and it was an automatic offsides, every time. Also, as to soccer, hated it - too slow a pace and I hate keep-aways, reminds me of the four corners, Dean. Then my girls each started to gravitate to the sport and each played either premier or elite levels and I loved the nuances of the game except if a game was decided on PK's. High School in CT used to decide championships on PKs and then tragedy hit and they permitted ties after 2 OTs and co-champs.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Since this seems to be the thread for soccer rules questions, I noticed that at almost the very end of today's game between Sweden and Australia, an Aussie player got a red card, and will therefore be unable to participate in the Bronze Medal game against the USA. I wasn't paying close attention, so I didn't see or hear what she did to earn that very serious penalty, but it seems unusual to impose that kind of penalty at such a late stage of the game. Can someone explain what her offense was?

Reaction Score
Team handball is my new favorite sport. I was looking for a 60 and older league to play in, but no luck.

Free substitutions at any time
Sometimes they pull the goalie while they are advancing the ball.
They serve a penalty just sitting on the bench
They beat the snot out of each other between the 3-point line and the crease. Then they help each other up with no mouth, no attitude, no retaliation and they play on.
Relatively low cost to play, a ball and two goals.
Best of all, they all have a career having a real job. During one of the men's games they rattled off a couple of players jobs: a teacher, an engineer, etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The second most popular sport in the world is Cricket (2.5 billion fans), but I'm not watching that, either.
Again, your loss. The West Indies just beat the Aussies 4 out of 5 in T20 cricket. Chris Gayle just raked in the 3rd match.

Reaction Score
Since this seems to be the thread for soccer rules questions, I noticed that at almost the very end of today's game between Sweden and Australia, an Aussie player got a red card, and will therefore be unable to participate in the Bronze Medal game against the USA. I wasn't paying close attention, so I didn't see or hear what she did to earn that very serious penalty, but it seems unusual to impose that kind of penalty at such a late stage of the game. Can someone explain what her offense was?

Call was "denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity", which is an automatic red card. Swede had a breakaway but the Aussie had kind of caught her. If she hadn't used her arms so obviously, she might have got away with a yellow. At that stage, some refs might have shown pity and not red-carded her. As a general rule, if an attacker is breaking in on goal and has only the goalkeeper between her and the goal, if she is then fouled from behind it is DOGSO. The rule:

Sending-off offenses: . . . "denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick" The following must be considered:
• distance between the offence and the goal
• general direction of the play
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball.
• location and number of defenders

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
A sad but true fact is that the U.S. was destined to lose this game. Nobody beats the Canadian National Team 37 times in a row.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom