So you think ND gets to the charity stripe? | The Boneyard

So you think ND gets to the charity stripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't pretend to be a stats guru but decided to look at the FF teams' free throw attempts. Turns out Baylor has shot more foul shots (adjusted for the fact they've played one more game than the other teams) and owns a whopping margin vs. their opponents' free throw attempts.

Here are the numbers:

BAYLOR (adjusted down by one game averages)

FTA - 889
Opp - 447
Diff - +442
Avg FTA/game - 24
Opp FTA/game - 12

ND

FTA - 840
Opp - 587
Diff - +253
Avg FTA/game - 23
Opp FTA/game - 16

STANFORD

FTA - 677
Opp - 551
Diff - +126
Avg FTA/game - 18
Opp FTA/game - 15

UCONN

FTA - 623
Opp - 485
Diff - +138
Avg FTA/game - 17
Opp FTA/game - 13

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What we are really speaking of is Novosel. Get a charge or two called on her and you take away a big part of her game and with it the team's. But of course everyone knows that.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Do a lot of Baylor's FT come from people trying to guard Griner? By contrast, we know what a lot of the Whining Irish's free throws come from.

Reaction Score
What we are really speaking of is Novosel. Get a charge or two called on her and you take away a big part of her game and with it the team's. But of course everyone knows that.
It shouldn't be hard to draw charges on Novosel - that clown's entire offensive games consists of driving recklessly into the lane and throwing up wild shots hoping to get to the line.

But for some reason, the refs protect her like she's Kobe or LeBron.

Reaction Score
It shouldn't be hard to draw charges on Novosel - that clown's entire offensive games consists of driving recklessly into the lane and throwing up wild shots hoping to get to the line.

"clown"?
The player that UConn's coaches rave about is a "clown" ? Keeping it classy!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
ND's top three in FTAs, in decending order, are Diggins, Novosel and Peters.

Reaction Score
The stats make sense. Baylor and Stanford have posts that can't be stopped by most. ND has guards that do the majority of their scoring in the paint and driving to the basket. UConn is a better shooting team and takes more jump shots and plays their post at the top of the key taking 15 footers.

Reaction Score

Or worse, Bill Laimbeer. The "charge-and-flop" is alive and well at ND.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
People that complain about Novosel getting foul calls remind me a lot of the people on another board that complain about Dolson not getting called for fouls.

If it were a UConn player getting to the line it would be whoop dee doo. If Novosel played at UConn she would be walking on water for being able to "get the calls".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
In defense of the clown at ND. Incidentally, a clown of Emmet Kelly stature when it comes to basketball and a player that knowledgeable fans would want on their team.

Total points scored 566
FG % 44% (186 of 425)
3pt FG% 42% (42 of 100)
15.3 ppg

Free throws - 152 of 180 attempts
A throw in stat from a UConn clown - 141-173. Maybe they both went to the same clown college.

If a player is skilled at getting to the free throw line how can that be a bad thing? How many times have we heard GA encouraging his player to do the same thing - "drive the lane and get fouled".

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In defense of the clown at ND. Incidentally, a clown of Emmet Kelly stature when it comes to basketball and a player that knowledgeable fans would want on their team.

Total points scored 566
FG % 44% (186 of 425)
3pt FG% 42% (42 of 100)
15.3 ppg

Free throws - 152 of 180 attempts
A throw in stat from a UConn clown - 141-173. Maybe they both went to the same clown college.

If a player is skilled at getting to the free throw line how can that be a bad thing? How many times have we heard GA encouraging his player to do the same thing - "drive the lane and get fouled".

The poster that called her a clown has been posting stuff like that before. Consider the source.

That being said, there is no doubt that Novosel get's foul calls that most other players don't get. That is just a fact, if yo watch her play. She didn't get those calls in the last game UConn played against ND and it made a big difference in the outcome.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
While Novosel's drives that get her to the line and flopping on D drive me crazy, she is an outstanding player. And she delivers under pressure. I seem to remember a number of threes from her that were daggers against several teams.

Reaction Score
IMO one major reason why UCONN beat ND at the BE championships was because ND did not get their favorable calls toward them particularly Novosel & Diggins "cheap" fouls. I'm not saying they never get fouled. I'm just saying they get a ton of questionable to obvious no calls that get called a foul.

Hopefully the refs do not determine the outcome (I know! I'm asking alot)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The poster that called her a clown has been posting stuff like that before. Consider the source.

That being said, there is no doubt that Novosel get's foul calls that most other players don't get. That is just a fact, if yo watch her play. She didn't get those calls in the last game UConn played against ND and it made a big difference in the outcome.

I won't argue that but my point is (and this is mostly directed at the clown poster) - why should anyone blame the player? How is it her fault if the refs make a questionable call? If Novosel played for UConn and got the same calls we would all be standing in line to join her fan club.

Reaction Score
I thought one of the big reasons Uconn won the BE championship was because Tiff figured out how to get a charge on Novosel. You can call it "getting the calls" but I think Tiffany got good position.

Reaction Score
FTA vs. Opp has be a grossly underused stat. Baylor's is phenomenal! Double, no one else is even close. Anybody explain that? Is it BG related?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
FTA vs. Opp has be a grossly underused stat. Baylor's is phenomenal! Double, no one else is even close. Anybody explain that? Is it BG related?
Mulkey sideline antics?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I won't argue that but my point is (and this is mostly directed at the clown poster) - why should anyone blame the player? How is it her fault if the refs make a questionable call? If Novosel played for UConn and got the same calls we would all be standing in line to join her fan club.

Well, since no one on UConn does that or has ever done it like she does, that is just your opinion on how we would react.

But since they do call it, I have no problem with her doing it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While Novosel's drives that get her to the line and flopping on D drive me crazy, she is an outstanding player. And she delivers under pressure. I seem to remember a number of threes from her that were daggers against several teams.
Indeed the situation is not her fault she is doing exactly what Geno suggests. she sees what the officials will call and goes with it. The issue is the officials not Novosel or Diggins. It is the calls that are wrong and worse seem to be inconsistent at the two ends of the court.
relax, just kidding.
Give me three Calvinist refs and you'll see how to blow the whistle on the Irish. Relax, just kidding.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
At today's press conference when Geno was asked what he'd like to see tomorrow said something like, "I'd like to see the officials not show up. Just let the kids play."

But he also said Novosel plays like Shea used to play. He said Shea would be on a breakaway and would wait for a defender to show up so she could draw a foul.

It all comes down to the refs being able to determine the difference between a true foul and contact that is initiated by the offensive player. Flopping is a whole other subject.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At today's press conference when Geno was asked what he'd like to see tomorrow said something like, "I'd like to see the officials not show up. Just let the kids play."

But he also said Novosel plays like Shea used to play. He said Shea would be on a breakaway and would wait for a defender to show up so she could draw a foul.

It all comes down to the refs being able to determine the difference between a true foul and contact that is initiated by the offensive player. Flopping is a whole other subject.
Exactly.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
You mean Mulky can out antic Geno?
Might break his heart if he knew that.
Geno says she about every call. Even the one's in her team's favor 'cause the ref didn't blow the whistle fast enough.

Reaction Score
"clown"?
The player that UConn's coaches rave about is a "clown" ? Keeping it classy!
Calling her a clown was a little over the top but most of her drives leading to foul shots are comparable to a bull in a china shop. In most cases it's such a blatant charge that it's almost laughable. Maybe that's where the term clown arose from. The real clowns are the refs who allow her to continue that style of play by not calling her out. It's obvious that occasionally the call is the appropriate call but we've seen all too many times that her momentum isn't even in the direction of the basket, she's throwing herself sideways into a defender an appreciable amount of the time and that is nothing but a CHARGE. For it not to be called is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom