So with our nemesis retiring, who becomes our #1 Rival? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So with our nemesis retiring, who becomes our #1 Rival?

Who becomes UConn's #1 Rival with Muffet retiring?

• Dawn Staley and South Carolina as she wants to become the #2 coach in WCBB

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Jeff Walz and Louisville as he wants to vie for the best pre-game/post-game banter with the master

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kim Mulkey and Baylor as she assumes the clear #2 coach in America reigns

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Kelly Graves and Oregon wants to keep the competition going

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Vic Schaefer and Texas as he realizes he needs to up his OOC and profile

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Niele Ivey and ND-she keeps the vitriole going!

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Tara Vanderveer and Stanford who wants to resume the rivalry with the east coast

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I voted for Vic because of the interesting history between the two. As we all know, UConn beat MSU by a record number of points in the NCAA Tournament, and MSU broke the streak the next year in a most improbable win.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Don't you have to be on the schedule every year to be a rival? I changed my vote to other. Providence. The Battle of Route 44.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going with Tara just because of the coaching wins battle. Also Stanford has shown an ability to end our records.

1587660321323.png

You have to wonder how long CViv will hang in there. She's 72.
FWIW Barb Stevens is 65, so she is actually in the hunt as well, quality of competition notwithstanding.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hmmm. I voted for ND and Niele....what did you expect on the day she was introduced as head coach? :D

I'm going to take a slightly different tack on this:
- Give Niele a season or three to get the Irish back up to the gear speed which which she'll need to challenge UConn again. But, I feel good she'll be able to do this.
- In the Big East, I also have faith in another ND alum giving UConn some battles over the years --- that would be Megan Duffy and Marquette. I think Megan is the real deal and with a few more recruiting classes she'll get the Warriors even stronger. If she can get some top-ranked players, watch out.
- Nationally, South Carolina. Lot of talent there and Dawn knows what to do with it. I think Baylor is going to miss Ms. Cox a lot more than one would think.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Don't you have to be on the schedule every year to be a rival? I changed my vote to other. Providence. The Battle of Route 44.
Image result for shaking my head meme

Triad is right on the first point that the "rival" has to be on the schedule "virtually every year" and that is why I listed the schools I did, with the exception of Texas. Notre Dame is on the schedule until 2024 I think. SC is also scheduled thru 2022 I think. Stanford was but has since stopped. Baylor has intermittently appeared and I am not sure of the next few years. Louisville has also appeared periodically and maybe with DePaul being on our conference schedule, Geno can add Jeff (remember though, the BE will have a 20 game conference schedule). Texas is curious as while Vic was building his brand at MSU, he did not challenge the team with a good OOC. As one of the Top 4 paid coaches and a "supposed" beacon for WCBB, he needs to promote the game and the soft OOC played while at MSU needs to be called out when he plays the various directional schools vs. other P5 stalwarts. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was kinda curious why Tenn/Harper was not in the poll. She seemed to try and get the rivalry restarted last season and pick up where Pat left off.
Personally I don't see Vic as a rival based on his MSU experience, they only have that one fluke win against UConn.

Pretty sure MSU vs UConn is tied ar 1 - 1.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does the phrase "relevant sample size" mean anything to you? Parsing data on small samples does not demonstrate anything. Ironically, as I noted above, Vic did not schedule UConn but was part of the NCAA draw in the tournament for those 2 meetings. Will he actually be a "Keystone" member like Pat, Geno, MM and Tara were/are to promote the game by playing other top teams. Until he does, he's suspect and not an elite coach.

Reaction Score
Does the phrase "relevant sample size" mean anything to you? Parsing data on small samples does not demonstrate anything. Ironically, as I noted above, Vic did not schedule UConn but was part of the NCAA draw in the tournament for those 2 meetings. Will he actually be a "Keystone" member like Pat, Geno, MM and Tara were/are to promote the game by playing other top teams. Until he does, he's suspect and not an elite coach.

Did not mention Vic. Was replying to centerstreams snark.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why do you consider my post as "snarky"?
I was voicing my opinion on Vic (MSU) not being a rival.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom