so, who will be our next big made for TV rival? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

so, who will be our next big made for TV rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The real answer for the next couple of seasons:

Probably no one. You can hype it all you want, but Uconn is the wrath of God right now.
It took the last 6 games of a 39-game schedule to arrive at "Wrath of God" status, but it did happen. I was thrilled to see all 6 WOG games in person.

Let me see if I have this right: AAs Stef and Bria come back? AA Kaleena is still 19 and has 2 more seasons. Banks returns to the fold. Kiah has 2 seasons left. Morgan and Moriah have 3 more years left. And the player who totally dominated the Final Four also has 3 years left. And Geno got a contract extension. I like our chances. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford v. UConn was the best rivalry for a few years.

ND v. UConn replaced it in part based on the ridiculous number of 12 games over 3 seasons.

I think Stanford drops off after Chiney leaves. I sold ND short this year; I won't for next year.

Baylor v. UConn had 4 memorable games, but that was due to Griner.

I don't know if Duke or Maryland are mentally tough enough at this point.

I do think that the Lynx could give us a good game. :)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Louisville gets I think three injured players back and only really loses Reid who was a shadow of her former self after all her problems, so they should be very good.
Rutgers - we'll see. I think CViv needs a truly dynamic scorer for her team to be successful and she hasn't had that in a while and not sure she has it next year.
OOC - Maryland, Duke, ND (?), UNC (?), Stanford (?), Cal (?), Kentucky (?), TN (?) PSU (?)

I actually think we do. I actually think we'll have two next year, in Tyler Scaife, and Briyona Canty who will be completely healthy hopefully coming back from a knee injury. They both have something we haven't really had in a few years, ability to get to the rim and make shots for themselves and others. We had none of that last year, it was a whole lot of pass the ball around and prey that we have a good open shot.

I expect for Tyler to be our starting point guard from day one, there's no way that Richardson will be unless she improves on her passing, and understands she doesn't need to make the flashiest passes.

I'm not saying we'll be a top 10 team next year, but we'll be a heck of a lot better then this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The one that stands out as most likely to reassert a rivalry is Stanford. Duke puzzles me. Talent and a very fine coach and underachieving. Whether a guard can slip into Diggins' sneakers next year determines their fate, but we won't be playing them. It seems that Maryland just cannot get tough enough/conditioned enough/edgy enough to be a rival. Hard to have a consistent rivalry that is not in conference. Death of the Big East is a big deal for basketball. Love that 3 of 4 final 4 were Big East.

Reaction Score
The one that stands out as most likely to reassert a rivalry is Stanford. Duke puzzles me. Talent and a very fine coach and underachieving. Whether a guard can slip into Diggins' sneakers next year determines their fate, but we won't be playing them. It seems that Maryland just cannot get tough enough/conditioned enough/edgy enough to be a rival. Hard to have a consistent rivalry that is not in conference. Death of the Big East is a big deal for basketball. Love that 3 of 4 final 4 were Big East.

"Death of the Big East is a big deal for basketball. Love that 3 of 4 final 4 were Big East."

True; and me too.

I only wish there was greater appreciation of uconn's WCBB opportunity here. Uconnchapette appears to doubt SMU, Tulane and Memphis as possible big rivals.

To come to that conclusion, I think one has to view the matter from the perspective of what UCONN can get from the AAC rather than what UCONN can give to the AAC. In wbb, UCONN gives each conference member a big crowd and teevee when they're here and teevee and their largest home crowd when UCONN is there.

We are taught that it's better to give than to receive, right? However, it appears we place more stock (no pun intended) in "greed is good". Greed is not good.

Being willing to share the goodwill uconn has in basketball and grow new rivalries is how both strong rivalries and conference quality are built. If the cards are played right, the AAC will be represented in the women's FF consistently. That will give the conference a good jump start.

Reaction Score
If ESPN was smart they should broadcast a UConn blue vs white scrimmage :). It will showcase some of the best WCBB talent and guarantee a UConn "loss", which will pull in high ratings across the country.

As for the (WCBB)BE, we made the BE, and next years C7BE will slowly wither. As long as UConn plays in the AAC it will slowly grow in strength and prestige as the newcomers will get better with time. My feeling is UConn's stay in the AAC may be short-lived.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think we'll have plenty of opportunities to get good and even somewhat close games next year: ND, UNC, Stanford, Tenn, Duke, there is a lot of talent going places that is not Storrs next year, and the following year, we really need to stock up or it won't be all gravy.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and say it will be North Carolina. Have to believe after next year, UNC will do everything it can to get on UConn's schedule on a yearly basis.
Nah, Uconn doesn't fit the "cupcake" scheduling philosophy of the head coach. Geno gave them a shot got tired of the 30+ pt beatdowns.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You forgot about this year's signees. I believe Louisville lost the recruiting battle for every Top 20 recruit (Russell, Greenwell, Chong, etc.) Did anyone notice any major talent headed to Louisville in this most recent class (2013)?
Ummm - did you notice the number of lost recruiting battles we had at Uconn this year? and while I think our one recruit will be solid, she isn't exactly at the top of the class. Louisville will have three coming in to add to 11 returnees I believe so they have a pretty full team.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"Death of the Big East is a big deal for basketball. Love that 3 of 4 final 4 were Big East."

True; and me too.

I only wish there was greater appreciation of uconn's WCBB opportunity here. Uconnchapette appears to doubt SMU, Tulane and Memphis as possible big rivals.

Everyone appears to doubt that the above could be possible big rivals...with one exception

To come to that conclusion, I think one has to view the matter from the perspective of what UCONN can get from the AAC rather than what UCONN can give to the AAC. In wbb, UCONN gives each conference member a big crowd and teevee when they're here and teevee and their largest home crowd when UCONN is there.

We are taught that it's better to give than to receive, right? However, it appears we place more stock (no pun intended) in "greed is good". Greed is not good.

Huh? We just want to play quality games that are challenging, and not 30 - 40 point blowouts

Being willing to share the goodwill uconn has in basketball and grow new rivalries is how both strong rivalries and conference quality are built. Rivalries are generally built between two teams that beat the crap out of each other i.e. Tennessee and Notre Dame. We didn't have a rivalry with Providence for example. If the cards are played right, the AAC will be represented in the women's FF consistently. That will give the conference a good jump start.

If UConn stays in the AAC, there will always be an AAC team represented in the final four. But that's a big "IF". UConn wants to move on to a tougher conference.
We are looking at a greater good for no one but UConn. A more challenging conference is where they should be, and not pasting the floor regularly with weak conference teams. That will not get them ready for the NCAA tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom