So who should our new coach be? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who should our new coach be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can we keep Bob Diaco as coach every day EXCEPT gameday?

Literally, he's doing great developmentally, recruiting, motivationally, managing staff, developing gameplans.

But turn the lights on and he's deer in headlights stupid

You just described a perfect defensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
Can we keep Bob Diaco as coach every day EXCEPT gameday?

Literally, he's doing great developmentally, recruiting, motivationally, managing staff, developing gameplans.

But turn the lights on and he's deer in headlights stupid

How is he doing a good job developing gameplans? We fell behind 21-0 to Navy and barely beat Maine.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I love how a lot want to make TJ Weist out to be some kind of next coming. They got their tails whipped when he took over. the 3 victories: a 3-9 Memphis, a 6-6 and very lousy Rutgers and a 2-10 Temple.
Were they fun to watch those last 3 games? Yes, but that secondary that CC lit up was atrocious.
Diaco isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This team will rebound this week and will be 3-1 going to Houston.

Reaction Score
Herman since we're getting into the Big XII and Houston isn't :)

But I'm with Moorhead or Orlando. Both ex uconn guys and both proven they can be sucessful

Reaction Score
I doubt he is going anywhere before the season ends though that could certainly change if we were to be 1-6 or something. I don't expect that just to be clear. But I do believe that anything less than 6-6 and he is on very thin ice, especially if the team is boring and he continues to come across as an over cafeinated middle school coach.

Reaction Score
I think we saw that he's built a good team and can win games. However, he needs to let the kids play. Good, well conditioned athletes that hustle can really do some damage in most sports even if they lack refined skills. I think we have some good athletes that are worked very hard and are in great shape. Left to play wide open, mostly turnover free football, they can win games.

Coach starts games as if his only chance to win is to hope the opponent makes big mistakes. That team we saw was pretty good and can produce if he spends more time firing them up than he does bottling them up.

Reaction Score
Gosh, Toledo beat Maine 45-3, UConn was outplayed by Maine.

Saw Tweet today PP was 10-18 in first 28 games and Diaco needs to win Sat to match that.

I think they'll see about the B12 thing and then make a coaching decision. If UConn gets in and UH doesn't can Diaco and hire Herman immediately.

Also, the recruiting is awful, measured by team rankings. I know everyone rips that and finds a couple kids here and there to argue, though when you look at classes Alabama, Ohio State, FSU, Clemson, etc. have had top ranked classes the last few years and have been pretty good at college football. UConn is barely top 100 average and was able to reach the St Pete Bowl against a loaded Marshall team.

I think we saw that he's built a good team and can win games. However, he needs to let the kids play. Good, well conditioned athletes that hustle can really do some damage in most sports even if they lack refined skills. I think we have some good athletes that are worked very hard and are in great shape. Left to play wide open, mostly turnover free football, they can win games.

Coach starts games as if his only chance to win is to hope the opponent makes big mistakes. That team we saw was pretty good and can produce if he spends more time firing them up than he does bottling them up.

Reaction Score
Gosh, Toledo beat Maine 45-3, UConn was outplayed by Maine.

Saw Tweet today PP was 10-18 in first 28 games and Diaco needs to win Sat to match that.

I think they'll see about the B12 thing and then make a coaching decision. If UConn gets in and UH doesn't can Diaco and hire Herman immediately.

Also, the recruiting is awful, measured by team rankings. I know everyone rips that and finds a couple kids here and there to argue, though when you look at classes Alabama, Ohio State, FSU, Clemson, etc. have had top ranked classes the last few years and have been pretty good at college football. UConn is barely top 100 average and was able to reach the St Pete Bowl against a loaded Marshall team.

No offense to Uconn, but short of making him the highest paid coach in all of college football, Herman isn't leaving the South. Why would he? He's from Texas and has an opportunity to exploit a recruiting hot bed. At some point LSU's Boosters are going to get awfully tired of having no offense. He'll either be coaching UH in the Big 12 or moving East to Baton Rouge. If Charlie Strong or Kevin Sumlin falter this season, they would be very much in play as well.

Reaction Score
agree 100%, likely LSU or something similar if any major changes

Wishful thinking. Just saying, move on from Diaco and don't give 2 thoughts about buyouts

No offense to Uconn, but short of making him the highest paid coach in all of college football, Herman isn't leaving the South. Why would he? He's from Texas and has an opportunity to exploit a recruiting hot bed. At some point LSU's Boosters are going to get awfully tired of having no offense. He'll either be coaching UH in the Big 12 or moving East to Baton Rouge. If Charlie Strong or Kevin Sumlin falter this season, they would be very much in play as well.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of all the fire hcre loony tunes. Its like going to the local fair when all the yokals come out of the hills, you wonder where some of those people are the rest of the year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep don't worry about buyouts. TD has them covered.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of all the fire hcre loony tunes. Its like going to the local fair when all the yokals come out of the hills, you wonder where some of those people are the rest of the year.
Starting to remind me more of the fire PP times when half the board thought it was insane, not practical, disloyal, etc.. 3 years gents. Time to produce. 6th year in the desert. In fairness, the team he constructed has the capability to win. He's got to let them play though and get out of this no mistakes, bunker approach. Let's see if Diaco can learn from his errors and adapt, or whether he is another PP/GDL where they keep pounding a square peg through a round hole and claiming it will work if the mallet would just hit harder.

Reaction Score
AGREE !!!
Not only the rest of the year but how about the rest (previous portion) of a game? Bob dropped the ball on the last play, not to be denied. But he is the same coach that was on the sidelines for a comeback from a 21 point deficit in a game that every talking head possible said pregame could not be done at any margin. There are times this forum should be called The Bonehead Yard :confused: ;). The end of the game was a tough pill to swallow but the comeback on the road and the fact game coaching got us back in it was very positive. Can't remember the last time we had a QB go 23 for 26 with no pics.
We are on the right path and frankly to make a change in the coaching staff at this time would make the administration look foolish. Bob stubbed his toe big time, but I for one believe he will not let it happen again.

For those that beat their heads over a close game with Maine, realize we were their target of the year. They went on to lose to Toledo this week 45 to 3. Head bang
Pointy ball can be a tough one to figure out at times.....:D

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some of you think we are Alabama or Tennessee and in reality no big time coach is walking through the door. HCBD will be fine as will UConn. Some of you have very short memories of last year and what was here before.
By the way this isn't basketball where one or two players can lift you to a great year, and a possible National Championship run.

Reaction Score
He is my big concern though. This program hasn't had a winning season since 2010. That is a long time and at some point you risk becoming Rutgers. How long do you give Diaco to make real progress? Which I define here as putting a winning team on the field at a minimum. At some point you need to say 6-6 is acceptable or you need to make a change and try to get to the next level. To me this year should be a step forward because the schedule is set up for it and because it's year 3 and all that. 6-6 will be disappointing and a boring 6-6 raises questions about whether this program is really progressing. I don't really care about enthusiasm love peace and grooviness. I care about Wins and Losses. And any more losses because the coaching staff doesn't even know basic things like the down and time are completely unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I doubt he is going anywhere before the season ends though that could certainly change if we were to be 1-6 or something. I don't expect that just to be clear. But I do believe that anything less than 6-6 and he is on very thin ice, especially if the team is boring and he continues to come across as an over cafeinated middle school coach.
I think the bar is higher than 6-6 or 6-7. It is at least 7-6. Not for getting fired but for being put on the short leash. Now, if UConn comes out of USF 1-6, then I suspect he is gone before the season is over. And make no mistake: that could happen yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the bar is higher than 6-6 or 6-7. It is at least 7-6. Not for getting fired but for being put on the short leash. Now, if UConn comes out of USF 1-6, then I suspect he is gone before the season is over. And make no mistake: that could happen yet.

There are many potential outcomes. Bob Diaco being fired before the season ends is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom