So who gets the shaft if this turns out 4 16 team conferences? | The Boneyard

So who gets the shaft if this turns out 4 16 team conferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When the inevitable occurs and there are 4 16 team conference compromising the BCS coalition, what current BCS member is left out? As it sits, with Notre Dame likely coming to their senses and joining the Big Ten at some point, that leaves 13 spots for 16 teams. On the short list of those you'd think having a hard time - South Florida(doubtful a commuter school is ever BCS worthy). I might put Baylor on the likely list as well.

When you think about this from a back to forwards aspect, some of these conferences might really have to settle for less than appealing if that plays out - so not sure why some of these conferences don't wrap up who they can now, leave two slots open for the ideal. That ultimately puts even more pressure on an ND if they see the direction of the future. The problem for the Big Ten is are those schools value adds versus dilute their rich pot of gold. I suppose the curve balls will ultimately be if one of these conferences begins poaching from another(SEC from ACC).

Let's assume that the Texas/Oklahoma schools go Pac 12, which has some heavy steam behind it and makes good sense

Who gets the shaft?

Kansas
Kansas State(do they come as a package or is KU willing to come solo) Both are natural geographical fits for the Big Ten, but do they offer anything on the revenue/market side?
Does the Big Ten pull in Iowa
Cinci looks like a real possibility for odd man out
How does the SEC fills itself out? Do they grab from the ACC or pull from WVU, Louisville, Missouri?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
S Fla, Cinn, ISU plus one

Reaction Score
Not sure I feel comfortable talking about this until UConn has a home.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
that merger talk works best if only one conference east of the Mississippi has additional expansion

if all three do, then a few schools will be merging with CUSA

Reaction Score
Here is what I find most interesting about that article:
"If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten."
If this is accurate, it would have an impact on either Uconn or Rutgers. Always thought ND would go to the Big 10 if forced to join a mega conference.There may be more surprises coming.

Reaction Score
"If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten."
If this is accurate, it would have an impact on either Uconn or Rutgers. Always thought ND would go to the Big 10 if forced to join a mega conference.There may be more surprises coming.

I believe I saw on ESPN where ND has said that if they decide to join a conference they would prefer the ACC over the Big 10. I also always assumed it would be the Big 10, perhaps because of geography.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Andy Katz has been pretty accurate about his information. I'm sure ND will still fight to be independent in football and figures it has more leverage in the ACC to get into an all sports except football with the ACC than the B1G. At least I'm hoping so. And I'm hoping the ACC can do what the BE couldn't and tell them to join Conference USA or stay with the Catholic schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom