So... who are YOU starting on Friday? | The Boneyard

So... who are YOU starting on Friday?

Who are you starting on Friday?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Go with Nebrich. You have all week to prep him and it's a home game. Let him get into the flow of the game. He's a winner.

Reaction Score
Someone made the point that if Johnny Mac can't provide the accuracy he was touted for compared to the other 2 QBs, he can't offer much else. I tend to agree. But then again, he's only had the 2 starts to get used to real time game speed.

Since no QB has clearly separated themselves from the rest, keep playing all three, but start Nebrich. If he looks overmatched, go to Johnny Mac. Keep mixing in McCummings.

Reaction Score
Start McEntee, mixing in McCummings for the wildcat, and hope that he learned from some of the correctable mistakes this weekend. If the offense still isn't do anything by half time, go with Nebrich or McCummings.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Start McEntee, mixing in McCummings for the wildcat, and hope that he learned from some of the correctable mistakes this weekend. If the offense still isn't do anything by half time, go with Nebrich or McCummings.
What (s)he said.

Reaction Score
Have a hunch. I'd go with McCummings. Hey, he's the only QB with a TD pass this year (against Fordham High). Actually, since UConn has zero passing game right now (the QB position is the obvious culpret, but the "hands-team" AKA the WR's own their share of blame) at least McCummings adds a running threat. So maybe for the moment UConn needs to become Navy North or Georgia Tech of the Big East.

Either way this is a deplorable situation. Please, please, please find a QB out there who can drop back throw like they belong on scholarship at the BCS program.

Reaction Score
Still very much puzzled. How in the heck, did Michael Box allow himself to feel like he saw the hand writing on the wall at the UConn QB position. Heck, this position will have more "shift changes" than a hockey line. Box may have become a fixture as early as Friday night. Was he intimidated? Did he feel like he didn't have the tools to compete with this stable of QB studs? Wow!!!!

Reaction Score
Still very much puzzled. How in the heck, did Michael Box allow himself to feel like he saw the hand writing on the wall at the UConn QB position. Heck, this position will have more "shift changes" than a hockey line. Box may have become a fixture as early as Friday night. Was he intimidated? Did he feel like he didn't have the tools to compete with this stable of QB studs? Wow!!!!

By all reports, he was told that all of the other three were at a level to compete for the position and he wasn't. There is no reason to think that Box misread the situation.

Did the coaches send the wrong message to Box? Or make a poor judgment on him? There is no point speculating on that because we'll never know. And, frankly, to be fair to the coaches, have no reason to think that they got it wrong.

Reaction Score
By all reports, he was told that all of the other three were at a level to compete for the position and he wasn't. There is no reason to think that Box misread the situation.

Did the coaches send the wrong message to Box? Or make a poor judgment on him? There is no point speculating on that because we'll never know. And, frankly, to be fair to the coaches, have no reason to think that they got it wrong.

If that's accurate (and I'm not saying it isn't), than what in the heck was Randy thinking when he brought Box in. Honestly, would the man recognize a QB if he tripped over one. My goodness, he ruined that position for UConn from the day Dan O left right on up through the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
By all reports Spurrier wanted Box as well. Since I know Spurrier passes your test as to understanding passing offenses, I think sometimes you have to accept that good decisions don't always work out. Heck, every major program east of the Mississippi offered Frazer. You don't know in recruiting. You try to get it right enough to win games (which, by the way, we've been doing) but you just don't know.

Reaction Score
By all reports Spurrier wanted Box as well. Since I know Spurrier passes your test as to understanding passing offenses, I think sometimes you have to accept that good decisions don't always work out. Heck, every major program east of the Mississippi offered Frazer. You don't know in recruiting. You try to get it right enough to win games (which, by the way, we've been doing) but you just don't know.

Spurrier definitely passes in understanding the passing offense. Not the point. Nor am I trying to bash Box. The problem is the absolute lack of a passing game for years now and likely going forward still. Inexcusable. This has been something you could see coming years ago and how many times has it hurt this program.
A few examples:

Rutgers '08 when Zach was held down until the fourth quarter when a passing attack got them back into the game with a chance to win it at the end. Sidebar, that was the game that UConn kept getting pinned up against its goal line and kept dodging near miss safeties until they got burned (run, run, run :().

The South Florida game in the same season. TL who should have had his jersey retired at that point, could not muster any semblance of a passing attack (although one wounded duck actually caught USF by surprise).

The Car Care Bowl - no passing attack there. Running game got stuffed as time wore on.

The North Carolina game when any type of offense would have made that an easy win. But UConn managed a lot of three and outs late in the game and let Carolina hang around. Running game got stifled there too, with no passing to support it.

And let's not forget last season's game at Rutgers. No passing attack there either. Result. . . running game eventually smothered.

Reaction Score
J McEntee at least for 1st half then Nebrich. But I would like to know the redshirt rule with Nebrich unless PP does not care about losing a year with him because he likes Casey C or some other recuit for the future.

Reaction Score
Nebrich and work in McCummings. Maybe even let McCumming drop back and throw a pass.

Reaction Score
I am trusting the coaches to get it right. I have no choice since I have no idea.

(O.K. -- that's a cop out. Gun to my head I give McEntee one more chance, but with a much shorter leash.)

Reaction Score
I don't buy the JMac exclusive use in 4th qtr against Vandy nor Nebrich's one series and out. Blocking is not good enough. Curt Warner was terrible for Giants as they needed a Vick to stay alive back there as the Giants had no blocking, yet few years later a "washed up" Warner takes a team to the final seconds of a super bowl. We need Vick. Since he's used up this eligibilty I'll go with Nebrich. We need some screens and roll outs, take the pressure off pocket.

Reaction Score
I vote Nebrich. Hell, he can't feel any pressure given last games performance. Go out there and have fun.

Maybe its my imagination but it seemed that JM didn't have any mustard on his throws, and that's an ongoing problem. Frazer threw too heavy a ball, JM too light, how bout MN just right.

Reaction Score
I vote Nebrich. Hell, he can't feel any pressure given last games performance. Go out there and have fun.

Maybe its my imagination but it seemed that JM didn't have any mustard on his throws, and that's an ongoing problem. Frazer threw too heavy a ball, JM too light, how bout MN just right.

I thought we want a qb, not F#$@king Goldi-Locks.

In all seriousness though, get Nebrich in there and let him do his thing. He's flashed the ability to make plays already in his young career. I mean, what is he gonna do... worse? At least we'll be 3-5 entertaining scrambles out of it.

Reaction Score
I'm back with the Mac. Can't let one bad game get into his head and if the practices go OK he gets the first half. After that give Nebs some time midway second and third, hopefully not out of desperation but as a changeup. I'm still not a fan of the wildcat and don't care if I never see it again. Work on Scotty's accuracy and let him be a real QB if he can get it done. This is some feeding frenzy after 1 loss but if the problems persist, I'd look to Mike in week 4...

Reaction Score
I don't care as long as the staff actually makes some adjustments to the game plan and the offense that compliment the kid and the teams skill set. I'm so beyond what kid it is (I didn't like Mac's fastball, but if he's the best we've got, he's the bst we've got), I'm contining to scratch my head at the lack of adjustments by the staff which I find inexcusable.....hell dink and dunk it down the field.

Reaction Score
Lets go to a duel wildcat formation....McCombs and Shoemate! Run left....run right...3 yard screen passes to Griffen! We'd be fine!!! Who needs a QB!!!

Reaction Score
i'd like to see all 3 get significant time for the next 2 or 3 games if necessary. noone distinguished themselves going into Vandy, but i'd let them each keep trying until one of them does. in reality we're deciding who the next QB will be for not only this season, but likely next and longer. lets give P as big a body of work as we can to get it right. hopefully it'll be two games tops and we can get a dress rehearsal against W Mich. before the real season starts. if we really can't iron this out by the end of the year we'll keep our fingers crossed that CC can take care of business. i'd like to play the musical chairs now though, so we hopefully won't be doing so during the BE schedule

Reaction Score
Michael Nebrich. He can take a broken play and turn it into a 5-10 yard scramble, and he avoids sacks. Nebrich also makes quicker decisions than McEntee. Our offense desparately needs a QB who can improvise a little.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I agree with the Gate97 plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul