So what's up with Ollie? Did he ask for arbitration? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So what's up with Ollie? Did he ask for arbitration?

Reaction Score
If UConn is sinking and this supposed administration tomfoolery is going to hurt the mens bb program how were they able to sign the most sought after coach this off season? If that is sinking I'm ten toes in.

They signed Hurley on the strength of the program. Classic example of a kid who inherits a lot of money from his dad, blows it on a couple stupid investments, and then gets hailed as hero when he still has enough to buy the next shiny object. All of it is gross.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Classic example of a kid who inherits a lot of money from his dad, blows it on a couple stupid investments, and then gets hailed as hero when he still has enough to buy the next shiny object. All of it is gross.
What?

Reaction Score
No the real point of contract is to lay out the rights and duties of the respective parties and the consequences for breaching them. This contract does that. Some, now, inexplicably want to ignore the express agreement of the parties. Well not the entire agreement, only the portions that benefit the school. Sorry Dog, that's not a morally superior opinion, that is a morally arbitrary opinion.

No, the entire reason for including that in the contract was to clearly communicate that violating NCAA rules and regulations were grounds for terminating the contract.

No, they fired him because he violated NCAA rules and regulations which were grounds for a "just cause" dismissal under the contract. There is documentation of this fact and none to the contrary.

Yeah, this is red herring. I don't think anyone is doing that. Most are saying that he should have to abide by what he agreed to. You have yet to provide any basis, a lot of words notwithstanding, to say why he should be able to ignore the express written agreement of the parties.

I know what a contract is. He unambiguously violated the terms. To the extent that those terms undermine the interests of the fans is what we're discussing. I'm not trying to sell Ollie's case as the gateway to heaven. I'm trying to protect college sports fans from exposure to BS by demonstrating how this particular practice reinforces everything we hate about the NCAA and corporate greed. Look closely at how the blame has been deflected. When I agreed to pay money in exchange for tickets, I thought I was investing in a compliant program. If they're getting their money back, why not me? Since when do we allow businesses to promote one thing, sell you something else, and then keep the money? That is what's happening here, and it works because they've given us what we want (a new coach) and a scapegoat (the old one).

(Insert response here about how it's not in the terms of the consumer contract to reimburse fans after an NCAA violation and I should have known better)

Well yeah. This is how things change - by shining a microscope on corporate dishonesty until the "contracts" begin to align with something more practical. Until then, the schools and the NCAA will continue to take our money, flash disingenuous moral arguments at you about amateurism, and then watch us take the bait and pretend amongst ourselves that this is about something other than money.

I'm not granting Ollie the right to do anything but his job, which happens to stand in direct contradiction to the things they cited in the termination letter. So while I can appreciate the significance of breaching a contract, I'm less inclined to care when the terms he violated are scribbled in crayon and vetted by an entity that exists only in our imagination.

If we want to ignore the fundamental fallacies of this case, we unwittingly grant the NCAA permission to do the same next time they decide we don't have enough top 50 road wins to make the tournament, or the next time they want to reshuffle their APR formula. All things are liable to be written somewhere, at some time. When something is written that insults our collective intelligence, we should fight not as mobsters but as consumers and citizens. Treating people the right way matters and we should recognize that before anyone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know what a contract is. He unambiguously violated the terms. To the extent that those terms undermine the interests of the fans is what we're discussing. I'm not trying to sell Ollie's case as the gateway to heaven. I'm trying to protect college sports fans from exposure to BS by demonstrating how this particular practice reinforces everything we hate about the NCAA and corporate greed. Look closely at how the blame has been deflected. When I agreed to pay money in exchange for tickets, I thought I was investing in a compliant program. If they're getting their money back, why not me? Since when do we allow businesses to promote one thing, sell you something else, and then keep the money? That is what's happening here, and it works because they've given us what we want (a new coach) and a scapegoat (the old one).

(Insert response here about how it's not in the terms of the consumer contract to reimburse fans after an NCAA violation and I should have known better)

Well yeah. This is how things change - by shining a microscope on corporate dishonesty until the "contracts" begin to align with something more practical. Until then, the schools and the NCAA will continue to take our money, flash disingenuous moral arguments at you about amateurism, and then watch us take the bait and pretend amongst ourselves that this is about something other than money.

I'm not granting Ollie the right to do anything but his job, which happens to stand in direct contradiction to the things they cited in the termination letter. So while I can appreciate the significance of breaching a contract, I'm less inclined to care when the terms he violated are scribbled in crayon and vetted by an entity that exists only in our imagination.

If we want to ignore the fundamental fallacies of this case, we unwittingly grant the NCAA permission to do the same next time they decide we don't have enough top 50 road wins to make the tournament, or the next time they want to reshuffle their APR formula. All things are liable to be written somewhere, at some time. When something is written that insults our collective intelligence, we should fight not as mobsters but as consumers and citizens. Treating people the right way matters and we should recognize that before anyone.

Quoting from elsewhere:

"Some share of defusing arguments by merely saying, 'You might be right'."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="champs99and04, post: 2778707,p

Sorry, I can't swallow that. I can put up with a lot - I can put up with coaches pulling scholarships from players, future pros blowing their knee out, coaches getting fired in the middle of a plane ride...but not that.

Really? You are OK with coaches pulling scholarships and NBA prospects blowing out their knees but you draw the line when an administration utilizes the letter of a contract rather than good will to decide the pay out on a coach's contract?
Not me. This is a business dispute with two sides that each have some merit. It is not the moral crusade that either side on the boneyard wants to make it out to be.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
OK
Let's stay with the ticket buying analogy. You are correct that you won't get a refund. But the real analogy is that you agreed to buy tickets for the next three years and you now want to get out of the obligation. Not a refund. Just stop the future payments. The ticket sellers broke the contract and while that bothers you, you more want out because the team sucks.

pj

Reaction Score
It’s really a simple issue: is the cow barren or not?

Sometimes the farmer has to spend a year squeezing the udders before he's convinced.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So while I can appreciate the significance of breaching a contract, I'm less inclined to care when the terms he violated are scribbled in crayon and vetted by an entity that exists only in our imagination.

The only thing imaginary here, is the belief that this contract is written in crayon, or is any different than the contract signed by every UConn coach, and probably every D1 basketball coach everywhere or that it has anything whatsoever to do with the NCAA, amateurism, and the overall farce that college sports has become. There is no connection there.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, there is zero chance that in a world of true amateur college athletics, Kevin Ollie would be paid more than a couple hundred thousand dollars a year or receive a guaranteed contract of any kind. These coaches are among the biggest beneficiaries of this system, certainly more so than the players are. Ollie is not a victim, he's a major beneficiary of the system you seem to despise.

Reaction Score
At this point we are debating with an irrational spin doctor & a roulette wheel selection of every bad analogy one could conjure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know what a contract is. He unambiguously violated the terms.

Phew. It took a whole lot of word salad to get there, but I guess we're done then.

CL82

Reaction Score
At this point we are debating with an irrational spin doctor & a roulette wheel selection of every bad analogy one could conjure.
That's putting the cart before the dead beaten horse.

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps mentioning "Optics".
So here what it looks like from here. And this is why I find this troubling.
While JC was cavorting with Hurley, UConn administration was starting their investigation and leaking it to the press. It also looks like this was all initiated by an insider. As the negative press continues, KO loses the team in the locker room, because let's not pretend it doesn't take a toll on the team.
Additionally the "I don't care how they did it, as long as Ollie is gone" approach is also troubling.
So here we are...what they did(fire Ollie), is part of life.
How they did it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Reaction Score
While JC was cavorting with Hurley, UConn administration was starting their investigation and leaking it to the press. It also looks like this was all initiated by an insider. As the negative press continues, KO loses the team in the locker room, because let's not pretend it doesn't take a toll on the team.
Additionally the "I don't care how they did it, as long as Ollie is gone" approach is also troubling.
No agency given to Ollie in your analysis to coach, motivate or impact the team & its play in any way. Plenty of people/coaches/teams have triumphed thru adversity INCLUDING UConn & Ollie in yrs 1 & 2. Granted this was with help from Calhoun, but he took this help. Yet somehow years later with far less adversity Ollie is unable to coach, can't motivate or develop his players AND refuses help and input from Calhoun but this is everyone else's fault?

Or Ollie wasn't doing his job. Everyone's eyes saw this that watched UConn. Your optics are behind the scenes. The far more obvious, direct and explanatory optics were that Ollie had given up and stopped doing his job as a coach.

Reaction Score
The point of a contract is money. The entire reason for including that clause in the contract was to provide insurance against a scandal that depleted revenue and hindered their ability to rebuild the program. That is obviously not what happened here. They fired him because he sucked as a coach. They know that, but they feel justified in doing this anyway because they believe he slacked on the job and took advantage of people.

Fine. If that's the argument, the school should come out and say it. Don't try to insult people with the bit on compliance. Compliance wasn't going to get you out of this hole. If anything, compliance helped put you in the hole. Ask Diamond Stone, Jordan Bell, Hamidou Diallo, Tremont Waters, and the Heron kid about that. We didn't sign David Onuorah because Ollie was breaking the rules.

I understand that it's convenient to blame Ollie for signing a dumb contract and forcing the school into playing this game. It genuinely makes sense to think that way, because let's face it, we're victims. We watched that putrid basketball. We dealt with the CR firestorm. We have endured attack after attack from the NCAA. We deserve to cut this corner, this one time, because sometimes fighting fair isn't an answer, even for fair people.

Long-term, we lose thinking like that. Long-term, this is the type of thinking that sinks the program. We as college sports fans have been baited into thinking a certain way, but it doesn't have to be like that.

So yes, we have the right to make this all go away because that's what the contract allows us to do, and morally speaking, it's only what everyone else has always done to us. I'd rather use that good will to back our own guy and call attention to all the other things that have actually held us back.

Another point of a contract is T&Cs. That’s why KO is in the position of fighting for money.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ha ha... cavorting? KO lost the team in the locker room because of Calhoun's "cavorting?"

SMH

We really need some kind of visual award for the current dumbest posts on the BY. As of late their have been a lot of potential nominees.

b08fbde5729bcf745f95846fee202f08.jpg

Reaction Score
One thing I am pretty sure of, KO will never actually take this the distance to trial.

But you have been saying he needs the money for the divorce payments. He probably also needs to pay legal fees now. Is the arbitration option still available to KO?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom