So, what is going to happen to the freshmen? | The Boneyard

So, what is going to happen to the freshmen?

Reaction Score
We all have been anticipating this class of freshman coming in to join the team. These young women have been touted to be above average and our expectations have also have anticipated a great season especially with UConn joining the Big East. If these guys have 4 seasons to play and graduate, will they actually have 4 seasons to play. They certainly can complete course work to graduate in 4 years but, as the times dictate, they may not have 4 full seasons to play. Personally, I would like to see them have the choice to play a 5th year working toward an advanced degree. But, this may also have an impact on future freshman classes. Ah...the creation of a dilemma. Any thoughts on this matter.

Reaction Score
All kind VOD.
We all have been anticipating this class of freshman coming in to join the team. These young women have been touted to be above average and our expectations have also have anticipated a great season especially with UConn joining the Big East. If these guys have 4 seasons to play and graduate, will they actually have 4 seasons to play. They certainly can complete course work to graduate in 4 years but, as the times dictate, they may not have 4 full seasons to play. Personally, I would like to see them have the choice to play a 5th year working toward an advanced degree. But, this may also have an impact on future freshman classes. Ah...the creation of a dilemma. Any thoughts on this matter.
All kind VOD. The best we can hope for is a return to normality. Probably that's not in the books. My singular hope is that the girls stay together with their decision to come to Uconn. There will be a season or some semblance of a season down the road. The thing to remember is that we are all sailing in the same boat. They are not going be given a opportunity to go to another school where the season will start on time and a full schedule played. What they need is an opportunity to bond. The school should be mobile enough to give them every chance they can to do that.

Reaction Score
I don't see an issue. Season doesn't technically start until October, and with the Connecticut Covid-19 trends looking good I would expect UConn to reopen for the fall semester. The real question now is what happens towards the end of the semester with schools ending semesters early to clear out the campus before a second wave hits. Hopefully the NCAA is working on contingency plans for disruptions to the season.

Reaction Score
All kind VOD.

All kind VOD. The best we can hope for is a return to normality. Probably that's not in the books. My singular hope is that the girls stay together with their decision to come to Uconn. There will be a season or some semblance of a season down the road. The thing to remember is that we are all sailing in the same boat. They are not going be given a opportunity to go to another school where the season will start on time and a full schedule played. What they need is an opportunity to bond. The school should be mobile enough to give them every chance they can to do that.
I think this should be an option. Free transfer if your school won't or can't have a season. It's unfair to keep student-athletes locked into a contract they can never fulfill.

Reaction Score
I think this should be an option. Free transfer if your school won't or can't have a season. It's unfair to keep student-athletes locked into a contract they can never fulfill.
You took my words out of context, Hoopsfan. I seriously doubt that one group of schools will play a full schedule while the others don't.

Reaction Score
You took my words out of context, Hoopsfan. I seriously doubt that one group of schools will play a full schedule while the others don't.
Why not? I think that is a very real possibility. Say the northeast or west coast gets hit hard with a second wave of the virus and needs to go into lockdown mode again. Why should the rest of the country just grind to a halt because the tri-state region happens to have an outbreak?

Reaction Score
Increased transfers to open colleges won’t happen. Will there even be enough schools? What message does it say to the players who committed to those schools if you take in such transfers. It is academic anyhow since it requires a lot of schools to reopen. Besides who wants to transfer to Liberty? What will happen is the very best players will declare for the draft after what would have been their senior season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of questions to be answered. With no in person summer school, the freshmen will miss the opportunity to bond with each other as well as their upper class teammates. While I suspect they are all working out individually in their own way, there is no opportunity to lift weights and workout at School under the guidance of the UConn training staff.

No AAU or USA basketball competition this summer either. As of right now, neither Anna or Nika can can back in the country due to the European travel ban. Fortunately, while the US-Canada border is under travel restrictions, essential travel, which includes education, is permitted. So at least Aaliyah can get to Storrs.

While I do believe UConn, which is facing a projected revenue shortfall of $65-$129 million if they don’t restart in person classes in September, will bring students back in some fashion, the added complexity of restarting sports is an entirely different problem. Just take a look at the contortions that MLB is going through right now in their effort to start some type of season on July 4.

One point under serious discussion that illustrates the challenges teams face, is whether or not MLB will allow players to take showers after the game in team locker rooms. An additional question involves what happens if a player tests positive. There is a push to allow everyone else on the team to keep playing, rather than putting everyone into a 14 day quarantine per CDC guidelines.

I hate to be a Debby Downer, because like everyone else, I am desperate to see live sports, but I see significant problems in the effort to restart sports competition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My desire for this class is the same as it is for every college student. That is for them to spend as little or as much time on campus as they want. I'll enjoy what ever time they choose to spend at UCONN, wish them well when they leave and look forward to enjoying the next set of UCONN recruits. I'd much rather see all of these kids actually being able to put on a cap and gown and walk in a graduation ceremony than sticking around to play a few more games of basketball.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Why not? I think that is a very real possibility. Say the northeast or west coast gets hit hard with a second wave of the virus and needs to go into lockdown mode again. Why should the rest of the country just grind to a halt because the tri-state region happens to have an outbreak?
The Left Coast and the Tri-State area were hit harder because the virus arrived from overseas. Even with stopping travel, it didn't reduce further cases adequately (according to some). So if we learned anything, if the second wave starts, it should be handled differently based on the current situation and it hopefully won't be "centered" around a couple of areas like it was the first time.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My desire for this class is the same as it is for every college student. That is for them to spend as little or as much time on campus as they want. I'll enjoy what ever time they choose to spend at UCONN, wish them well when they leave and look forward to enjoying the next set of UCONN recruits. I'd much rather see all of these kids actually being able to put on a cap and gown and walk in a graduation ceremony than sticking around to play a few more games of basketball.
If it is safe enough to walk in a graduation ceremony, then it will probably be safe enough to play sports, including basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If it is safe enough to walk in a graduation ceremony, then it will probably be safe enough to play sports, including basketball.
While I don’t necessarily agree with the analogy, just for the record, which schools are having traditional graduation ceremonies, with students all sitting together, friends & family sitting in the stands of a packed auditorium or stadium and students marching up one by one to receive their diplomas? As far as I know, graduations have been taking place around the country in virtual form.

Reaction Score
I don't see an issue. Season doesn't technically start until October, and with the Connecticut Covid-19 trends looking good I would expect UConn to reopen for the fall semester. The real question now is what happens towards the end of the semester with schools ending semesters early to clear out the campus before a second wave hits. Hopefully the NCAA is working on contingency plans for disruptions to the season.
How Do YOU Spell NCAA?
OIP.jpg

Reaction Score

be careful what you wish for.....................if any area of the country is going to stay in shutdown mode through the it's the Northeast...............South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, Oregon, Miss State etc are all opening up for those football dollars............would you like to see some of our UConn recruits there next year? Call me selfish but I don't..............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not really. At a graduation ceremony you can tell people to stay away from each other eg., practice social distance or limit attendance for example. In a basketball what do you do, change the rules and impose a maximum guarding distance?

Reaction Score
There should be immediate transfers for those students on scholarship whose universities cut their programs.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Not really. At a graduation ceremony you can tell people to stay away from each other eg., practice social distance or limit attendance for example. In a basketball what do you do, change the rules and impose a maximum guarding distance?
You did not specify that in your post. I saw a graduation where the grads were following each other as they do in normal times. That is why I made my statement.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
While I don’t necessarily agree with the analogy, just for the record, which schools are having traditional graduation ceremonies, with students all sitting together, friends & family sitting in the stands of a packed auditorium or stadium and students marching up one by one to receive their diplomas? As far as I know, graduations have been taking place around the country in virtual form.
I saw on the news a graduation that had grads walking across the stage with no distancing whatsoever. Coco said he'd rather see grads put on caps and gowns and walk in a graduation ceremony. That would not be virtual, hence my post. maybe I misunderstood Coco.

Reaction Score
be careful what you wish for.....................if any area of the country is going to stay in shutdown mode through the it's the Northeast...............South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, Oregon, Miss State etc are all opening up for those football dollars............would you like to see some of our UConn recruits there next year? Call me selfish but I don't..............
I hear you, but it comes down to what is best for the student-athlete versus what us fans want. Hypothetically, is it better for Paige to sit in Minnesota taking virtual UConn classes and shooting hoops in her (or Azzi's) driveway, or transferring to South Carolina or Baylor (or even Minnesota or her apparently new home in Maryland) where she can still play for a great coach, against real competition, and prepare for her professional basketball career? Texas and South Carolina aren't going to shut down probably ever, even if the country is on fire, whereas if there's even a hint of a spike or hot spot in Connecticut, the state is going back into lock down mode.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but it comes down to what is best for the student-athlete versus what us fans want. Hypothetically, is it better for Paige to sit in Minnesota taking virtual UConn classes and shooting hoops in her (or Azzi's) driveway, or transferring to South Carolina or Baylor (or even Minnesota or her apparently new home in Maryland) where she can still play for a great coach, against real competition, and prepare for her professional basketball career? Texas and South Carolina aren't going to shut down probably ever, even if the country is on fire, whereas if there's even a hint of a spike or hot spot in Connecticut, the state is going back into lock down mode.

you're a far less selfish person then me...............I want UConn recruits staying put!!!........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
There should be immediate transfers for those students on scholarship whose universities cut their programs.
Really, You know what a mess that would be. NCAA can't even handle a single transfer could you imagine this mess ? Ridiculous !

Reaction Score

She would also have a higher risk of death playing in S Carolina or Texas as opposed to sitting and waiting. The major urban centers of the east coast are hot right now but there's no way to tell what the situation will be by October. The Boston-DC corridor could be well over the worst while those areas that haven't yet been hit hard could be the autumn hot spots. Four months ago cancellations were the furthest thing in peoples' minds.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Paige stated in Stewie's IG podcast that the family was moving to Maryland.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The NCAA announced yesterday, (per the Las Vegas Review Journal) that athletics in all sports can resume voluntary activities on campuses supervised by strength and conditioning personnel beginning June 1st. This was done so conferences and schools to make decisions regarding when their athletes can return. The Big 12 later announced a schedule when football and other activities can begin. The SEC stated that voluntary activities can begin starting June 8th at the discretion of each University. While the B1G will leave the decision to allow athletes to return to campuses to the individual schools. This is going to put pressure on the remaining conferences and individual schools to have both the activities and have plans to open up this Summer.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom