So What If The XII Adds Colorado St and BYU? | The Boneyard

So What If The XII Adds Colorado St and BYU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Or Boise St or just 2 schools from a Western standpoint that aren't current AAC members. What happens if the XII looks west instead and adds CSU and BYU? How does that affect the American and our place long term? We obviously aren't voluntarily leaving FBS football- would this add stability to the AAC finally?

Reaction Score
Or Boise St or just 2 schools from a Western standpoint that aren't current AAC members. What happens if the XII looks west instead and adds CSU and BYU? How does that affect the American and our place long term? We obviously aren't voluntarily leaving FBS football- would this add stability to the AAC finally?
If they do that it means the Big 12 explodes in 2023 at the latest, and there will be another huge round of realignment.

So we'd get 7 years of wallowing and relative peace, followed by a seismic shift as the P5 condenses into a P4. Our job then will be to try to get an invite to the party - which we should be in a much better position for given A) we'll hopefully avoid any academic issues; B) the football team won't be a dumpster fire, and C) our endowment & research budget/expenditures are growing rapidly under Herbst.

I think we'll be in a good place if we stay on our current course. It's just a matter of do we arrive at said good place in 2017, 2023 or 2027.

And despite my optimism there is, of course, a chance that we end up on the outside looking in for all eternity.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If that happens, we have 6 years to get our B1G profile in tip-top shape. That means endowment at $1B (or damn close), AAU status, enhanced alumni engagement, several sports games played in NYC, and several years of winning football records and attendance spikes. The Big 12 would implode at the expiration of their next GOR or several schools will bolt at the same time rendering the GOR worthless. We would be competing with Texas, Kansas, and OU for a B1G spot and would need to have EVERYTHING in place to make any sort of an argument.

And if we are stuck in the AAC, I would strongly push UConn into recouping our Tier 3 media rights while we wait in limbo. The $9M/yr would go a long way in helping us maintain our P5 AD budget.

Reaction Score
We're not going to the Big Ten unless you have a way to breed the state's population up to about ten million. And we have no means of reclaiming our tier three rights.

Other than that, okay.
Considering the sad, rapid decline of the demographics in the interior of the country, CT will look like very good soon. Why do you think Delany is trying to reach the Atlantic shore?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the research/economic value that the B1G schools bring in every year? Take athletics out of it. I am wondering if that enters into the equation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're not going to the Big Ten unless you have a way to breed the state's population up to about ten million. And we have no means of reclaiming our tier three rights.

Other than that, okay.
You'd have to join up with Cinci and (anyone else have potential tier three provider) and push Aresco to either take them out of the deal or get more money. Trading "exposure" for cash was the best Aresco could get in the last round. Now he needs to get more money out the deal, or have it cover less programming.

Reaction Score
Just a couple facts about places like Boise State and Colorado State. They don't have many fans. The fans they do have go to football games, but even then they are in UConn's range for attendance.

But here's the kicker. They only have 2 men's team sports. Football and Basketball. No baseball, soccer or anything else.

pj

Reaction Score
Considering the sad, rapid decline of the demographics in the interior of the country, CT will look like very good soon. Why do you think Delany is trying to reach the Atlantic shore?

Hate to tell you, but the demographics of Connecticut are declining too.

Reaction Score
Not anywhere as bad as the midwest. Especially in Fairfield County. I've seen some towns in decline, but by Waterbury, etc. As for the person who asked what value midwestern states have, there's two words that sum it up: corn fields.

Reaction Score
Just a couple facts about places like Boise State and Colorado State. They don't have many fans. The fans they do have go to football games, but even then they are in UConn's range for attendance.

But here's the kicker. They only have 2 men's team sports. Football and Basketball. No baseball, soccer or anything else.
Well seeing as the Big12 doesn't play men's soccer I don't see that being an issue. Baseball is a pretty big deal though at most schools.

Reaction Score
I wish we had a fellow regional team with the CR resume of UConn. It would be a done deal already.

Boise is great in Football ... and that's about it. They has a horrible media market and are essentially a community college level academically. CSU is solid on academics, but lacks a fanbase of support.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... move to Utah! It's all the rage. Growth galore for decades on end. :) (I say as I type from Tuscaloosa, Alabama)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW:

Population estimates, July 1, 2015, (V2015)

Population estimates, July 1, 2014, (V2014)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
FWIW:

Censuses are the only real data, everything else is a guess.

Also, it'll just be a few more years before folks in the Midwest and Southwest realize that we have fresh water, and folks in Florida realize that their state is fast becoming ocean.

Reaction Score
The midwest has plenty of fresh water. :confused:

(Had to correct that before our Big Ten visitors see that.)

To lose 6000 people in one year is bad? You want the highways clogged more??

Reaction Score
If that happens, we have 6 years to get our B1G profile in tip-top shape. That means endowment at $1B (or damn close), AAU status, enhanced alumni engagement, several sports games played in NYC, and several years of winning football records and attendance spikes. The Big 12 would implode at the expiration of their next GOR or several schools will bolt at the same time rendering the GOR worthless. We would be competing with Texas, Kansas, and OU for a B1G spot and would need to have EVERYTHING in place to make any sort of an argument.

And if we are stuck in the AAC, I would strongly push UConn into recouping our Tier 3 media rights while we wait in limbo. The $9M/yr would go a long way in helping us maintain our P5 AD budget.

As much as I love Newton and company - I will be shocked if we double our endowment in 6 years.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As much as I love Newton and company - I will be shocked if we double our endowment in 6 years.

Completely agree. Both are long shots: $1B endowment and AAU membership within 6 years. But that doesn't mean we can't try! :)

Reaction Score
Question (no snark intended): What was our endowment six years ago?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Question (no snark intended): What was our endowment six years ago?

Off the top of my head guess: in the 230M range. We've been well below state, public university standard for quite some time. I hope the new and improved alumni connection and communications will help increase donor contributions.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head guess: in the 230M range. We've been well below state, public university standard for quite some time. I hope the new and improved alumni connection and communications will help increase donor contributions.
$288 million in 2011, $436 million now. If we continue to grow at this rate we'll be in good shape by the end of the decade, but still smaller than most B1G and Big 12 schools.

UConn President Susan Herbst Would Like to See Endowment At $1 Billion

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

What do we do?

Reaction Score
FWIW:

Yes. CT was 4th worst in population growth in 2015 (ahead of VT, IL, WV).

Over last 3 years, 3rd worst.
Over last 20 years, 11th worst (ahead of IL ME NY LA VT PA RI OH MI WV).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom