So what happens after Pitt and Syracuse bolt? | The Boneyard

So what happens after Pitt and Syracuse bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the ACC play is for Texas and Notre Dame for all sports but football, this is a head scratcher. If it is to lock up Pitt and Syracuse and their own membership before the dominoes start tipping, it was brilliant if potentially a little tricky legally.

My guess is the ACC takes Pitt and Syracuse and tells ND and Texas all or nothing. They stall, trying to figure out a solution. ND has one, Texas doesn't. I think at the end of the day, Texas follows the Big 12 South west. ND has about a 1 in 3 shot of staying independent, joining the Catholics for their other sports. I think that Pitt and Syracuse were an inducement to get ND, and it might work, although the Big 10 seems more likely to win that fight if ND decides to go that direction.

The Big 10 will push hard for ND. No matter what happens, I think the Big 10's hand is forced on expansion, or at least I hope it is. If the Big 10 starts adding markets, it will come after Rutgers, UConn, Missouri and maybe Kansas if ND doesn't join. I would prefer the ACC, but any port in a storm at this point. The ACC knows the Big 10 could move to UConn and Rutgers, and so probably won't give ND much time to make a decision.

The SEC's options shrink pretty quickly. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech all want to go west. Missouri will take anyone that will have them, but the Big 10 will win that fight if it comes to that. Texas is trying to find someone to let the LHN live but there is no one out there after the Big 12, which is dissolving. The SEC will definitely add WVU. Louisville and USF are on the list, although a lot of programs will be resistant to USF. Kansas could go to the SEC.

The downside case is if anyone stops at 12 or 14. Then we have a real problem.

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe that ND wants in the ACC. The Big 10 will have them any day. I still think Texas is using the ACC as leverage, but may end up there and bring TT. I hope to hell we get out of this sinking ship of a conference.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Do they still have to wait 2 1/2 years to move, or will the lawyers get them out of that requirement?...

Reaction Score
Texas and ND stay independent and make a deal to place their sports in the ACC, supposedly. If this happens, the SEC adds Missouri and the Big10 stays pat. Pac-10 may or may not add Okie and Oklahoma St.

UConn and the other BE footballs join the Big12. What remains of it anyway. Baylor, TT, Kansas, KSU and ISU. With TCU, that leaves 6 teams in the old Big12 footprint and 6 teams in the BE footprint.

Reaction Score
CUSE and PITT are being used by the ACC/ESPN to destroy the BE. Think about it, why are Pitt and SU moving now? For more money? Nope. BE's new TV deal is going to pay more than the ACC. Stability? Maybe, but why now vs. waiting a few more days to see what's happening with Texas and OU? I can't believe SU and Pitt just turned their backs on the BE just like that without thinking this through. ACC and ESPN are just using them to destroy the BE, nothing more and nothing less. By doing so, NBC/COMCAST won't get BE pure and simple.

I just hope UCONN ends up in a stable conference for once. This situation blows for us cause no one is trusting another. It is really easy for ESPN to divide and conquer at this point.

Reaction Score
CUSE and PITT are being used by the ACC/ESPN to destroy the BE. Think about it, why are Pitt and SU moving now? For more money? Nope. BE's new TV deal is going to pay more than the ACC. Stability? Maybe, but why now vs. waiting a few more days to see what's happening with Texas and OU? I can't believe SU and Pitt just turned their backs on the BE just like that without thinking this through. ACC and ESPN are just using them to destroy the BE, nothing more and nothing less. By doing so, NBC/COMCAST won't get BE pure and simple.

I just hope UCONN ends up in a stable conference for once. This situation blows for us cause no one is trusting another. It is really easy for ESPN to divide and conquer at this point.

This.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Add to this equation the fact that this (sudden) official announcement will happen before UT's meetinf this Monday to decide their future.

Reaction Score
Look for West Virginia to bolt and then that's it. Not a good time (last year & this) fornthe BE to be weak. Where have all the Ray Rice, Brian Leonards, Steve Slatons, Pat Whites, Brohms, etc gone. West Virginia saved the BE once but this has gotten serious. Though Rescler, the new indoor facility, the win over Notre Dame, the big upset against SEC South Carolina, the BE Championships and the Fiesta Bowl were gonna be a springboard. Now UConn's position as a member in a premier conference is in jeopardy and we get to watch an offense that wouldn't cut it at the D-III level.

Reaction Score

The real and legally interesting point is if ACC takes CUSE and PITT will ESPN tear up the current 12 year ACC contract and agree to a new one paying more?

This came about when the ACC thought if Texas might move to the ACC then supposedly ESPN indicated they would renegotiate the current 12 year contract because Texas draws huge and with Texas leaving and destroying the BIG 12 then ESPN could award the unused BIG 12 tv dollars to the ACC.

I don't know if CUSE/PITT is a done deal, or how disfunctional the BE is. BUT why doesn't the BE call FOX right now and commit to a good size tv contract. Take Temple as the 10th and up the individual school withdrawal penalty to $20m. I think the FOX deal would be worth at least 5m more than the current ACC twelve year deal and keep CUSE/PITT happy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One rumor has been that (in order to protect their investment in the LHN) ESPN would be willing to up the ACC's payday in a deal that adds Texas. This looks to be quite credible at this point.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
That is my take

3 mega-conferences are cheaper than 5 no matter how you cut the pie to the PAC-16, SEC and ACC.

It's Merger and Acquisition 101.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
And they correctly calculate that the Big 3 ESPN conferences will outdraw the Big Remainder in their own home markets for all the marquee head-to-head games

Reaction Score
Does TCU somehow try and bolt to try and save what's left of the Big 12? Do you pay an exit fee if you never really joined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom