So What Happened To The Scrimmage? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So What Happened To The Scrimmage?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's the problem. Closed scrimmages are allowed “provided they are conducted in privacy without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. Further, the institution must ensure the scrimmage is free from public view and media are not in attendance.” So yeah, they can be held but not recorded. However, individual stats can be kept though not disclosed. Nevertheless through social media those things can be "found out", such as here:

The secret is out.
@BoilerBall
won their "secret scrimmage" against
@DaytonMBB
this weekend http://on.jconline.com/1McnlYh
8:02 AM · Nov 3, 2015·Hootsuite

Coaches can't discuss what happen, but reporters can and will ask. The scrimmages can last longer than 40 minute timed games with designed segments to work on particulars such as zone defense, full-court press, out-of-bounds plays or late-game situations.
Are there maybe open and closed scrimmages? There was a Maryland WBB scrimmage broadcast the other night. I can't remember whom it was against, but it was in the listings.

Reaction Score
Then of course, that is my mistake and I do apologize for not realizing it.
Well, I for one am glad you didn't realize it, because the info you provided was some really good insight into something I am not versed in at all. I've gotten bits and pieces of it, but you put it all into one concise post that made it easy to understand. Thank you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are there maybe open and closed scrimmages? There was a Maryland WBB scrimmage broadcast the other night. I can't remember whom it was against, but it was in the listings.
Yes there are open and closed scrimmages. Closed scrimmages are those against another Division I opponent. As long as UCONN plays scrimmages against lower division schools those scrimmages are open.

Reaction Score
Louisville's super duper secret closed door scrimmage against Butler was anything but. The school put out photos and stats of the game, so either it wasn't one of those secret scrimmages or they just don't care about the rules.

JBK

Reaction Score
Remember that little scrimmage between UConn and a D1 school to be named later? Did it happen? Will it happen soon? Anyone know anything about it at all?
I think it happened a week ago and it was against Boston college. Very little info.

Reaction Score

I read your post with interest, because I also follow Maryland WBB just a little. It's a long story. Anyway, starting with your post, I Googled "university of maryland women's basketball scrimmage 2021" to see what I could find.

Long story short, I found absolutely nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Out of the first 60 or so 'news' results sorted by date and going back four weeks, not a single one had anything to do with any of that. The UMd WBB team was never mentioned. I guess it really is a secret closed scrimmage. And perhaps the Univerity of Maryland women's basketball program is a well kept secret as well if you mention "scrimmage".

Reaction Score
No, I'm Southern and Cross.
1635647150169.png

Reaction Score

If it was broadcast, it must’ve been an intra-squad scrimmage. Couldn’t have been a scrimmage against another D1 team.

Reaction Score
Yes there are open and closed scrimmages. Closed scrimmages are those against another Division I opponent. As long as UCONN plays scrimmages against lower division schools those scrimmages are open.

To be accurate, those are not scrimmages. They are exhibition games, which are very different.

Reaction Score
Louisville's super duper secret closed door scrimmage against Butler was anything but. The school put out photos and stats of the game, so either it wasn't one of those secret scrimmages or they just don't care about the rules.

Could you provide some links about the scrimmage? I went on Louisville’s official site, and there is absolutely nothing about this. No stats, no articles, no nothing. Also I googled and found absolutely nothing about this.

Reaction Score
Could you provide some links about the scrimmage? I went on Louisville’s official site, and there is absolutely nothing about this. No stats, no articles, no nothing. Also I googled and found absolutely nothing about this.
How about this? Doesn't provide much info, but took about 2 seconds to find on Google searching for "Louisville women's basketball scrimmage Butler". Maybe with more digging, more could be found, but it won't be by me. Just seems to show that these 'secret' closed scrimmages aren't as secret as seems. Or am I confused? This is Butler and Louisville? D1 teams? October 24, 2021?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I read your post with interest, because I also follow Maryland WBB just a little. It's a long story. Anyway, starting with your post, I Googled "university of maryland women's basketball scrimmage 2021" to see what I could find.

Long story short, I found absolutely nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Out of the first 60 or so 'news' results sorted by date and going back four weeks, not a single one had anything to do with any of that. The UMd WBB team was never mentioned. I guess it really is a secret closed scrimmage. And perhaps the Univerity of Maryland women's basketball program is a well kept secret as well if you mention "scrimmage".
My bad — it was an exhibition, not a scrimmage, vs Furman, Friday at 6 PM.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've got to be honest, I'm not that curious about their "secret" scrimmage. If they want to keep everything about it secret and close to the vest, fine.
Is that because you know the results even before the scrimmage?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s either this weekend or next and everyone associated with it is sworn to silence until after the fact. So maybe we will hear about it this weekend, or maybe next weekend, or maybe Geno was just messing with us…….
In just 7 more days it won’t matter. Fort Hays State next Sunday. We’re almost there. A lot of the questions we have will be answered then. Hopefully we’ll hear from Kiki Rice sometime this week.

Reaction Score
In just 7 more days it won’t matter. Fort Hays State next Sunday. We’re almost there. A lot of the questions we have will be answered then. Hopefully we’ll hear from Kiki Rice sometime this week.
Is Rice definitely signing this week? Hope she picks UConn!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is Rice definitely signing this week? Hope she picks UConn!
That I don’t know. The early National Letter of Intent (NLI) signin period for D1 basketball recruit’s is Nov 10-17, 2021. Most recruits that have given a verbal commitment sign their NLI during the early signing period. Some like to wait a day or two before the early signing period before they announce their decision.

I expect Rice to announce her choice between now and Nov 10. Fingers crossed that it’s UConn. Every time I log onto the yard, I look for that announcement. One of these times when I do, it will be there. Brady, Patterson and Rice would be one heck of a class. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here it is and I know the boneyard CIA will be chasing me for this but Tara won't play us in Public but she agreed to an undercover scrimmage for a test of her team against the latest Husky juggernaut. This information is from an inside source who will not go on record but here is what she told me. The starting 5 is still a secret in case the Boneyard holds more WHO WILL START BLOGS and we all know how that helps pass the pandemic away. So, Azzzi hit 20 three's Nika clawed the guards trying for steals and complained when the Tara wanted to stop the scrimmage until Geno put that tiger back in the cage. Liv when passed the ball into the post did not bring the ball back down to her waist and finished strong with both hands. Paige was a shooting machine she finally said to herself the hell with the no looks let's score some points and let's do it early. Christyn hit her three's early and went on to play like an All-American on offense and defense. E was happy to coddle her babies and did whatever it took to make them happy. Dorka looked so long on the court Cameron Brink just walked off the court and said she is too much for me. She also made all her foul shots and hit 4 3balls without a miss. Aaliyah was a monster and was so aggressive they called an intentional foul and asked for her not to play anymore. By the way, she was 6-7 and 12 boards in 5 minutes of work. Not too shabby. Caroline hit every shot she took and looked very fluid in the offense but we already knew that. Aubrey was yanked after 5 minutes of pure hustle and for not shooting. She will be in the Doghouse until she shoots more. That is all the info my source gave me because they think they are being watched and the penalty for getting caught was to be banned for life from the boneyard. By the way, the last tidbit I was fed was that Tara said she would just give us the trophy because she felt her team had no shot at beating us.

Reaction Score
Here it is and I know the boneyard CIA will be chasing me for this but Tara won't play us in Public but she agreed to an undercover scrimmage for a test of her team against the latest Husky juggernaut. This information is from an inside source who will not go on record but here is what she told me. The starting 5 is still a secret in case the Boneyard holds more WHO WILL START BLOGS and we all know how that helps pass the pandemic away. So, Azzzi hit 20 three's Nika clawed the guards trying for steals and complained when the Tara wanted to stop the scrimmage until Geno put that tiger back in the cage. Liv when passed the ball into the post did not bring the ball back down to her waist and finished strong with both hands. Paige was a shooting machine she finally said to herself the hell with the no looks let's score some points and let's do it early. Christyn hit her three's early and went on to play like an All-American on offense and defense. E was happy to coddle her babies and did whatever it took to make them happy. Dorka looked so long on the court Cameron Brink just walked off the court and said she is too much for me. She also made all her foul shots and hit 4 3balls without a miss. Aaliyah was a monster and was so aggressive they called an intentional foul and asked for her not to play anymore. By the way, she was 6-7 and 12 boards in 5 minutes of work. Not too shabby. Caroline hit every shot she took and looked very fluid in the offense but we already knew that. Aubrey was yanked after 5 minutes of pure hustle and for not shooting. She will be in the Doghouse until she shoots more. That is all the info my source gave me because they think they are being watched and the penalty for getting caught was to be banned for life from the boneyard. By the way, the last tidbit I was fed was that Tara said she would just give us the trophy because she felt her team had no shot at beating us.
Yeah, I figured it would go something like that.
Thanks for the report.
And, mum's the word.

Reaction Score
For me, I’d rather watch one recent competitive practice as opposed to conjecture regarding an undocumented ‘scrimmage’ versus a third rate opponent, that may or may not have transpired and no one can comment on or maybe will ....
I’m geared up for game 1

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I heard a certain M. McGraw started out refereeing but quit early on telling Tara, "I can't help you here".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom