So what did we expect? | The Boneyard

So what did we expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
First disclaimer - I didn't see the game as I was at a family event all day here in Oz. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

That being said, followed the game on Twitter, etc., read the post-game articles and I took away the following:
- First game where we weren't Bowl eligible and there were a bunch of changes in the starters including very few seniors on the field (only Frank, Davis and Mateas from what I read)
- Boyle gets the start at QB
- We looked like crap and didn't score a single point and had virtually no yardage in the first half

I know a lot of people said that they wanted to play Boyle and for the future and that they would rather lose by 40 with Boyle than lose by 7 or 14 with Whitmer. So that's pretty much what happened.

I'm fine with playing Boyle at this point - I just don't get why all the people calling for these actions are now moaning about it?

Reaction Score
recruiting is mudndane

creativity very lacking

quick turnaround is needed but mgmt takes least likely route to achieve it

high school talent is waste of time at this point; time prog does not have

flash: check nfl unemployment lines for players who have eligibility and wish to complete degree and if not enuf bodies go JUCO only

its D-Day ; no time for pows

i almost forgot; this mgmt wants 5 yr process from aac purgatory to hades so hand sitting ad infinitum

P.S.: maybe coach needs masters degree enrollment and has some eligibility so he could hit grid for 1st hand view where he needs for 1st time to dust off the ole X's & O's theorem

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
OP is spot on but, like a trip to the dentist, knowing it will suck doesn't make it suck less.

Reaction Score
I would strongly suggest watching the game.

I understand that we are deficient in talent, we have been the whole year. But I saw a horrible coaching job, and an atrocious effort by a lot of players (I refuse to say all of the players, because there are several that play their hearts out (Campenni being one)).

Reaction Score
recruiting is mudndane

creativity very lacking

quick turnaround is needed but mgmt takes least likely route to achieve it

high school talent is waste of time at this point; time prog does not have

flash: check nfl unemployment lines for players who have eligibility and wish to complete degree and if not enuf bodies go JUCO only

its D-Day ; no time for pows

i almost forgot; this mgmt wants 5 yr process from aac purgatory to hades so hand sitting ad infinitum

P.S.: maybe coach needs masters degree enrollment and has some eligibility so he could hit grid for 1st hand view where he needs for 1st time to dust off the ole X's & O's theorem
Going heavy JUCO is no way to maintain long term growth of a program. Personally I don't think this program would benefit from JUCO talent, not enough other pieces in place.

Reaction Score
Going heavy JUCO is no way to maintain long term growth of a program. Personally I don't think this program would benefit from JUCO talent, not enough other pieces in place.

I generally agree, for several reasons, including academics. However, we have seen so much attrition (and I expect plenty more after the season), it would be wise to pick up 3 or 4 JUCOS.

Reaction Score
I expected to feel better about our future at the end of this season than I did at the end of last season.

I feel worse.

I think there are some bright spots. The young running backs (if they ever decide that pass blocking is important), the defense, and wide receivers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is a 25 class scholarship limit. If we can't get a few to enroll early, JUCO might be wise to fill out the roster. Running 20 scholarships under the limit isn't a wise move either.

I like our returning receivers, I like Adams, and JH Williams. I like Obi as an outside LB not as a safety. I like how the OL has manned up, if still underperforming. I like the potential of the RB's if not the output of the running game as a whole. I like the big fat guys on the dLine, but I don't like the 3-4 as deployed this season.

The list of things I don't like would be too long.

Reaction Score
So who are some 5th year qb transfer possibilities? Surprised Coach Diaco couldn't get Andrew Hendrix to follow him to Storrs last year. He is doing pretty well at Miami (OH) as a 5th year transfer from Notre Dame.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If they don't bring in a transfer quarterback... yikes.

It'd be irresponsible given that Boyle is not ready to play right now. Not sure I'd wager my job on him being ready next season, if I were Bob.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It'd be irresponsible given that Boyle is not ready to play right now. Not sure I'd wager my job on him being ready next season, if I were Bob.

I'd be shocked if he's on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer