So we ran McFadden and Ruelas out of town….. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So we ran McFadden and Ruelas out of town…..

Reaction Score
Our kickoff return against avg has dropped because Freeman has bombed them into the end zone. We didn't see that from McFadden nor Ruelas. Noe wasn't accurate enough.

I give Freeman another game or 2 and if he goes 1 for 3, then go to Turner.
Ruelas was much better than McFadden in the KO department, but Freeman seems better than both. Unfortunately, that's only part of his job.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I think Ruelas entered the portal 11/30 which was less than a week after the UMass game and I think before the coaches sat down with players about their future. McFadden entered the portal on 12/12. Since McFadden was graduating, there probably wasn't a spot for him and he moved on. I guess UConn could have circled back to Ruelas, but he probably was not happy with the way 2023 turned out.

Freeman has missed 3 FGs this year: 43, 52, and 48 yards, so not like they were chip shots. Freeman made 71.4% of his FGs at Indiana in 2023 including 3 of 6 from 40 yards. Ruelas, in his career at UConn was 4 of 8 from 40+ yards. McFadden was 5 of 14 from 40+ yards in his career. The biggest difference between the 3 kickers is Freeman is a better KO kicker which has resulted in UConn giving up 5 fewer yards per kick off this year.

I'm confident that Freeman will improve as he has done it in the past.
If we go apples to apples this year, local kid Ruelas is 2-2 over 40 (long of 48) and 0-1 over 50.

Reaction Score
And got a transfer from IU who arguably is not as good. Bonehead Mora should not have kicked a FG that late. Go for it.
That said, Freeman’s gotta make it.
we ran them out? Maybe they demanded nil.

I got no idea on kicking. But I just am not go lose sleep ocer college football field goal kicking.

Way too much nfl slanted view on kickers here. Assume that the kicker is always an issue in college.

They should go for u it in fourth down nearly every time the field goal is over 40 yards

Reaction Score

I got no idea on kicking. But I just am not go lose sleep ocer college football field goal kicking.

Way too much nfl slanted view on kickers here. Assume that the kicker is always an issue in college.

They should go for u it in fourth down nearly every time the field goal is over 40 yards
No attack here JFS, just a different opinion. The Duke kicker scored twice, one from 47 and another from 53. Six points in our five point loss. To down play the role of a kicker leads me to believe one never knew of Dave Teggart and what he did for UConn.
Dom Amore: Ten years ago, Dave Teggart mastered his moment, kicked UConn into the Fiesta Bowl

Here is another great ending to a game by a kicker. Witnessed it dressed for the snow and rain with only a handful in the stands. One of my viewing UConn football all time great moments.

Yes Teggart again and South Florida.
To say kickers are irrelevant in college ball is like Randy Newman saying short people got no reason. A song many do not and can not understand, but should research. This just like kickers in football. ;)

Reaction Score

Why didn't we pay one of them NIL?

We look absurdly stupid at this very moment in time. We literally have almost no ability to kick a field goal.

Reaction Score
Ruelas just hit a 50+ yarder.

JMU said they are confident in him up to 65 yards.

Why does our staff suck so bad?
What were/are we teaching our kickers up here????

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
JMU hung 63 on Ball State today - no FG attempts for local kid Ruelas but 6/7 on PATs.

Reaction Score
I’m glad that Freeman has now shown consistency. But he still has yet to show he can make a long kick either. So no one’s head should be on fire, but the question of why we weren’t satisfied with Ruelas hasn’t been fully answered either.

Reaction Score
No attack here JFS, just a different opinion. The Duke kicker scored twice, one from 47 and another from 53. Six points in our five point loss. To down play the role of a kicker leads me to believe one never knew of Dave Teggart and what he did for UConn.
Dom Amore: Ten years ago, Dave Teggart mastered his moment, kicked UConn into the Fiesta Bowl

Here is another great ending to a game by a kicker. Witnessed it dressed for the snow and rain with only a handful in the stands. One of my viewing UConn football all time great moments.

Yes Teggart again and South Florida.
To say kickers are irrelevant in college ball is like Randy Newman saying short people got no reason. A song many do not and can not understand, but should research. This just like kickers in football. ;)
I had icicles stuck to my facial hair and clothes for that USF game.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s me but I could give a rats ass about jmu, their kicker and/or wr. Hope they do well, but not interested in talking about them.
You realize Ruelas' name is in the title of the thread, right?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I’m glad that Freeman has now shown consistency. But he still has yet to show he can make a long kick either. So no one’s head should be on fire, but the question of why we weren’t satisfied with Ruelas hasn’t been fully answered either.
Agree. I think it’s a wash so far. That said,
Coach has not answered why a player clearly deserving a scholarship was allowed to transfer.

Reaction Score
It’s easy. Freeman is way better. Kick offs are better and even on his misses, he strikes the ball way better. It leaves his foot on a better trajectory. He’s better.

Reaction Score
It’s easy. Freeman is way better. Kick offs are better and even on his misses, he strikes the ball way better. It leaves his foot on a better trajectory. He’s better.
IIRC, we played some years where Chad christen kicked off and Dave Teggart kicked FGs. Your FG kicker needs to be a weapon. It’s not that hard to find someone to kick off competently. Although I fully agree with you Freeman has been very good at kicking the ball into the end zone consistently

Reaction Score
You’re a full year too late on that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom