So two wins by less than a TD against teams we should beat. How do you feel about the 2015 Huskies? | The Boneyard

So two wins by less than a TD against teams we should beat. How do you feel about the 2015 Huskies?

How do you feel about the 2015 Huskies?

• 2-0 What's not to love?

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Good so far, too early to tell.

Votes: 52 37.4%
  • Happy for the wins but worried that we couldn't get separation from Nova and Army.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • Enjoy it while it lasts, wins are going to hard to find from here on out.

Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm happy for the wins. I think there is plenty of young talent on this team. They should keep improving this season and next. I'm glad to have a team with ability to make plays and I like Shirreffs, Newsome, Johnson and Myers a lot.

So how are you feeling?

Reaction Score
Feel good so far. Still plenty of things to fix but lots of bright spots too. Shirreffs has played well.

We survived the first 2 games. That alone is a feather in this team's cap.

Hoping to see continued improvement and minimal injuries as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
4-6 to finish the season is very realistic. Almost anyone would have taken a 6-6 season a few weeks ago

Reaction Score
Game plan seems to be Milton Bearle. Just enough to win.

Chin I agree with this position, I was just thinking the same thing. I do think that we have had some big plays so far in the first few games but have only seen them called once. My thought is the play list will continue to grow once D sees what works and what we're capable of executing. I have to assume our playbook will get thicker game after game because we have seen different players execute at different times of the first two games, which I like a lot. It will make Uconn tougher to game play against if we have more players involved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin I agree with this position, I was just thinking the same thing. I do think that we have had some big plays so far in the first few games but have only seen them called once. My thought is the play list will continue to grow once D sees what works and what we're capable of executing. I have to assume our playbook will get thicker game after game because we have seen different players execute at different times of the first two games, which I like a lot. It will make Uconn tougher to game play against if we have more players involved.

A bit awkward talking to Doggie Style while providing context to Milton Bearle, but..................

I believe there is more to the offense than what we have seen. They have expanded the playbook just enough to keep defenses honest and put stuff on tape for future opponents. It's that context that I say just enough.

The WR's are making this happen. Beals, Thomas and Lucas are catching and blocking. Myers has gotten MUCH better a blocking. The passing game has shown glimpses of verticality. Defenses have to be aware that we have WR's on both sides that can high point the ball and win the one on one battle for balls thrown down the side. That means a safety has to be deep to help. The stacking 8 men in the box is gone as well thanks to TE's who can extend down the middle as well.

Reaction Score
If we get to five wins this is progress. This team is obviously better than last year. Amazzing how many youngsters are playing too. A ton of RS Sophs, Froshs and even true Froshs. Will only get better in the next few years. Feels good to have hope again. And remember, hope is a good thing, perhaps the greatest thing. Your friend Andy Dufresne

Reaction Score
Heard that Shirreffs is just now getting more comfortable with the offense and the spotlight. He should be much improved going forward. We should have scored over 40 pts on Saturday. We will soon.

Well you have to remember that BS is still not playing on a full playbook.

Also, I have to disagree with OP's statement that we "should have" beat Villanova. How easy it is to forget that we were essentially an underdog by a touchdown against them!

Reaction Score
Next game will be telling. How does the team handle being the visiting team. Travel disruption, hostile environment, etc. Mizzou lost a lot to graduation. They can be beaten. How do the Huskies stack up?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My attitude is that while I certainly like wins, I also like to be entertained some if we lose. This team shows many signs of not being any of the teams of the last 4 years. These were close wins against teams we "should" beat. But if Nova is as good at their level as predicted, we beat a team that would give many BCS teams a game. Army was stifled except for two bad plays which should be fixable, a vast change from last year, but other teams will make plays every bit as much as we hope ours will. HCBD own recruits who aren't being redshirt are our youngest and he has a bunch some of PP's last recruits playing well. We are what we are, and that seems to be a lot better than the unwatchable us of the last two years, especially last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My attitude is that while I certainly like wins, I also like to be entertained some if we lose. This team shows many signs of not being any of the teams of the last 4 years. These were close wins against teams we "should" beat. But if Nova is as good at their level as predicted, we beat a team that would give many BCS teams a game. Army was stifled except for two bad plays which should be fixable, a vast change from last year, but other teams will make plays every bit as much as we hope ours will. HCBD own recruits who aren't being redshirt are our youngest and he a bunch some of PP's last recruits playing well. We are what we are, and that seems to be a lot better than the unwatchable us of the last two years, especially last year.

Agreed. So much I my frustration was the lack of game planning on offense by both PP and Diaco last year. There wasn't any chance of those teams winning or being entertaining. This offense looks like the end of 2013 when TJ Weist and Cochran were running an offense that looked like, well, an offense.

Reaction Score
My attitude is that while I certainly like wins, I also like to be entertained some if we lose.

Surely, this is the most fun I've had watching UConn for at least 5 years (with the *brief* exception of a few games...Michigan was one). I feel like they have a chance to be close in many of their games and even if they fall behind, they have pieces on offense that make up a deficit.

Reaction Score
Agreed. So much I my frustration was the lack of game planning on offense by both PP and Diaco last year. There wasn't any chance of those teams winning or being entertaining. This offense looks like the end of 2013 when TJ Weist and Cochran were running an offense that looked like, well, an offense.

Well TBH, Diaco's team last year was essentially PP's team. I'm actually quite impressed how this team already feels like a whole new entity even though we still have many of the pieces from PP's tenure.

Reaction Score
Happy so far, but still concerned over some things. Overall, see a lot of positives, and that means a lot after the past few seasons. My expectations for the season; win the games they should, maybe pull one upset, but be competitive in every game.

Reaction Score
It's easy to be frustrated when you dominate both games and the score is that close. Having said that. In both games when we needed a score or a stop we got it. Also we have dominated the second half in both games. When was the last time that it happened.? I have to believe that Diaco looks at the entire season and says that I can't show everything, so he plays the field position time clock game. Thank Verducci. Really. The play calling has been spot on and Sheriffs has made the plays , both with his feet and in the air.

Are we better or worse than we have shown? I think the former.

Reaction Score
I am glad this is not last year's team. They would likely have found a way to to be 0-2 right now. And the games were almost unbearable to watch.

I wish this could be next year's team playing 300 level D with a very good O-line the will play strong against top 50 teams and destroy the weaker teams that they play.

But we have this year's team. They are 2-0. Their youth and mistakes have made us nervous at times. They have found a way to hang on and win.

We will improve this year, but that may not translate into wins against the top teams (I still think we steal 1 of the next 3).

We are not "there" yet. Enjoy the ride. Don't panic.

Reaction Score
We have a QB making positive gains out of bad situations. We have more depth at all positions which is very important as it pushes players to keep improving and when someone needs a rest there is very little falloff in talent. It is nice to know we have many areas to get better in with a 2-0 record! We are playing better more exciting football. The fans won't come back if we don't give them something to watch that resembles what you see at most stadiums on football Saturdays. Big opportunity Saturday.

Reaction Score
We're better than last year on both sides of the ball, and we are playing hard. We look organized and generally competent at the basics. It looks like we have some players that belong in an FBS-level game. It's what I was hoping for. Asking for more would have been unrealistic based on where we were last year.

There is a good chance we drop our next 3. We'll see how they respond after that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's easy to be frustrated when you dominate both games and the score is that close. Having said that. In both games when we needed a score or a stop we got it. Also we have dominated the second half in both games. When was the last time that it happened.? I have to believe that Diaco looks at the entire season and says that I can't show everything, so he plays the field position time clock game. Thank Verducci. Really. The play calling has been spot on and Sheriffs has made the plays , both with his feet and in the air.

Are we better or worse than we have shown? I think the former.

I've watched for conditioning in both games and in both games UConn was more fresh at the end. One of the big "game within the game" things I'll be looking at next week is how does UConn look physically compared to Mizzou- Size, speed, strength, etc?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm trying to keep myself in reality with the 2-0 start. I think the close wins are helping with that. I'm not going into next week with the hope we'll win. My only hope is that we hang tough.

Shirreffs though ahs given me renewed hope that we can win 5 game this year. (Not ready to believe we're bowling). However, Shirreffs is making the weakness of the O-Line not be the death knell that it was last year. Shirreff can make something out of nothing and can scramble if needed. That said, let's see how he does against higher level defenses. I hope he'll continue to thrive.

I'm very happy we're 2-0 but I wanna stay realistic.

We're also showing signs of the foundation that has been laid and how much we can grow off that!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought the first two games would answer some questions - but beyond the QB situation - nothing else has really changed and questions abound. I suppose you could say the defense as a whole has played better too - still concerned about team speed all the way around.

UConn played the first two games not to lose which brings a certain stress which is difficult to overcome when expectations are high but results (looking back at least year) have fallen way short. Mizzu should be telling as the quality of the opponent will increase and the team may benefit from the freedom of low expectations. They also get a rest from defending against the mobile qb which may benefit our D.

Hard to believe, but yes I am actually looking forward to next week. Maybe (10% odds) we win or perhaps, if there is such a thing, have a good loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom