So, the positives were ... ? | The Boneyard

So, the positives were ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
12 time zones away, I couldn't watch the win, only followed via Jim Fuller's tweets and some loyal Huskies fans and domestic whiners but what were the other positives? Surely, something else positive much have occurred ...

Reaction Score
12 time zones away, I couldn't watch the win, only followed via Jim Fuller's tweets and some loyal Huskies fans and domestic whiners but what were the other positives? Surely, something else positive much have occurred ...

One of the most hapless victories I can recall.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I saved a bunch of money by... ah, forget it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The positives:

If we can figure out how to build an offensive line before they run out of eligibility, Newsome and Johnson will each be incredible running backs for us. We have two short, stout DT's (Campenni & Myers) with very good motors.

Beyond that I don't have much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one in the band got struck by lightning because they cancelled the post game show.

Reaction Score
Defense played very well...DTs in particular. Specials were special all around - kicker, punter, return game and coverage. Newsome had one really good run but Stony Brook stacked the box and we barely adjusted our play calling.

Offense sucked donkey balls and again spotted opponent two turnovers early. Receivers were terrible except for Davis who was his usual great

Student section represented nicely and many of us rounded out our late summer suntans

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Had some great fried dough at the game. That's it for me.
I saw the fried dough stand from my seats. How much do they charge and is it worth it? Need something to look forward to next week :)

Watching Boise right now and it looks like their QB likes to scramble. Worries me.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
My seats are in Sec 126 so I had a nice view of the Whitmer - Davis score. Beautiful pass and catch - we need much more of this! Also had a great view of the SB back running into the brick wall named Mikal Myers. Can't remember the last time that I saw a player go down so fast and hard. Defense was good yesterday - albeit against a FCS opponent - and have to think that it will only get better. Special teams also brought their A game. Offense, on the other hand was offensive, but not in the good way.

On a personal note, my buddy and I both had family responsibilities prior to the game and didn't get to tailgate/eat. We made it in before kickoff however and I was able to enjoy my first ever Ted's steamed cheeseburger. I like the addition of the food trucks behind the video board.

ted-s-restaurant.jpg

And finally - as ugly as the game was to watch, the brutally hot weather made watching the female patrons in their summertime clothes that much better.

Reaction Score
I had a nice egg and cheese bagel sandwich in Gray Lot.

Met Tyler Samra's parents and chatted them up for a quarter. They were very nice.

I took a great nap after the game.

That's all I've got.

Why would you have waited until after the game for your nap? I found it near impossible not to be dozing in the heat from the stands.

Reaction Score
I saw the fried dough stand from my seats. How much do they charge and is it worth it? Need something to look forward to next week :).

$6 for the fried dough. I guess the other positive from the game was I didn't spill any sauce on myself!

Reaction Score
Special Teams
Defensive Line (DT's particularly, and Frank played well)

Reaction Score
QB is the most important position on the field. With competent play, spirits rise and people play harder. UConn seems to have enough talent to succeed against their schedule.

I am however very concerned about the LB and DB units. DBs were supposedly UConn's strength. If SB played the backup QB the whole game, this board would be on fire.

Bad angles from the LBs.

DL (other than lack of pass rush), OL, WRs (a couple bad drops), TEs, RBs, I am not concerned with. They will come together.

So... good is WR, DL, TE, and RBs.

Big concerns:

1. QB
2. LB
3. DB

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why would you have waited until after the game for your nap? I found it near impossible not to be dozing in the heat from the stands.

I admit to closing my eyes for a few minutes during the first half. I couldn't get to a full doze state thanks to a few thousand rude people making occasional noise (mostly swearing in frustration at the offense) and the cotton mouth I had from dehydration.

Reaction Score
The defense really was quite nice despite what people have to say about the opponent. Gave up just one late TD and the FG they gave up was after stopping SB following a Whitmer fumble somewhat deep in UConn territory. M. Myers had some nice tackles.

I'm gaining confidence in Puyol (despite the blocked extra point) which is good because I fear we'll need him to hit a lot of long kicks in the next few years.

Nobody really broke off yesterday but we have some honest to gosh play-making tailbacks in the Freshman trio who continued to impress me with shiftyness and finishing runs.

Geremy Davis somehow didn't get better offers out of HS.

Tank tops and white shorts.

Dooley

Reaction Score
My positives:

1. Geremy Davis is a stud. Our coaches need to figure out how to target him more. 6 catches for 113 yards and a TD is good. And if he's the only reliable WR we have, then we need to figure out how to get him to over 10 catches per game, double teams be damned.

2. DL play. Myers was in the backfield for much of the afternoon. Campenni was able to penetrate the LOS. And our pass rush was able to get some decent pressure on their QBs. Probably our best performing unit (as a group) on the day.

3. We got a W and it will count towards bowl eligibility. It was ugly. It was troubling. It was hot. But it was a W and we desperately needed it.

4. Special Teams. Obviously Foxx's TD return is the highlight of the game and rightfully so. But Puyol drilled his FG attempts (the extra point block is on the OL) and Wain made some solid punts. Most of them had very good hang-time and all landed around the 10 yard line. Coverage units did a good job of covering them.

5. Student section. They were the only part of the stadium that was packed and they were into it for most of the game...especially during the moments of the game that Stony Brook had the ball close to their end.

6. UCMB. Has anyone else noticed that our band has really stepped up their game this season? First halftime performance of the year was a tribute to the World Cup. Yesterday's halftime performance was a cool tribute to the dual national championships (including shaping out a basketball court, "CHAMPS" and "2014" on the field). I think there is a band out there that can give Ohio State's band some competition and it's the Pride of Connecticut.

7. The field looks great. Refreshing to not have to see the divots crew on the field at every TV timeout replacing clumps of turf.

8. Connor Freeborn is still committed to the program even after going to the game yesterday.

9. Hot girls on hot days are a great combination.

Reaction Score
Not a great win but I'm still optimistic! Have you guys looked at the AAC conference standings? everyone has one loss! (cinci still hasn't played this year). sure ECU put up a fight vs SC, USF put up a fight vs Maryland, Memphis put up a fight vs ucla, army put up a ton of points vs buffalo, but I still think we can take home 5 more wins IF Casey comes back healthy and we take care of the ball ( very very important considering what happened vs BYU and SB). That'll put us at 6-6 and put us into a bowl!! Let's do this husky nation #bleedblue

Dooley

Reaction Score
Another positive: we aren't the only program struggling to beat inferior opponents. Look around the country and you'll find Cuse needing multiple OTs to beat Villanova and Nebraska needing a heroic, almost miraculously run-after-catch with 30 seconds left in regulation to beat McNeese State...to name just a few games (there are more).

Reaction Score
Positives:

1) We learned from our negatives ........ now adjust!!!

2)We learned once and for all- that "in Casey we trust"....and that the last 3 games of last year were no flukes, contrary to the opinions of some... matter settled (I hope)...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Agree on the Puyol comment. Minus the blocked XP he was looking solid out there. I think he'll be a good kicker for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom