So the media chimed in... | The Boneyard

So the media chimed in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Should we compile our own projected standings? I imagine we'd beat them.

Mine:
Louisville
UCF
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Houston
UConn
USF
SMU
Memphis
Temple

Reaction Score
I had flipped UCF and Cincy and then UConn and Houston (only separated by 3 votes in actual media poll).

Louisville
Cincinnati
UCF
Rutgers
UConn
Houston
USF
SMU
Memphis
Temple

Reaction Score
I feel strongly about Ville at the top.

I feel strongly that UCF & Cincy are interchangeable at 2 & 3.

I feel strongly that the rest of the heap is one big pig pile of mediocrity.

UCF
Houston
Rutgers
UConn
USF
SMU
Memphis
Temple

Reaction Score
1) Ville (8-0)
2) UCF (7-1)
3) Cincy (6-2)
4) UCONN (5-3) *
5) Rutgers (5-3)
6) Houston (4-4)
7) SMU (2-6) *
8) USF (2-6)
9) Temple (1-7)
10) Memphis (0-8)

* Tie breaker goes to head to head winner

Reaction Score
Cincinnati-I think they a very good football team, again. And I think there will be an opening at the top of the league which they will muscle into. See my Louisville comments below.
UCF-I like O'Leary a lot as a coach. He is the anti-Pasqualoni. He'll have his team ready and they will be tough. Lots of returnees including a very good quarterback and a solid rusher from a nice team last year.
Louisville-I think they will have a few dings partly because they'll be too cocky, partly because they'll have a bit of a target on them. I think that some people get that if the league wants to be taken seriously, Louisville needs to get beaten a few times. Tuberville understands that and I think O'Leary does too.
Rutgers-Not sure about Rutgers and Flood. I think in part that he walked into a perfect storm last year. He brought stability and I'm not sure he can do it again. I don't love Nova as quarterback either.
UConn- I admit this is a pick based more on hope than on faith. but I think that the defense will continue to be pretty good, Hank is a good defensive coach, and perhaps a bit more ball hawking. If the offense is just average, even a little below average, we'll win a few more games. If our offense could be ranked in the 60s, we could actually be pretty good, because the dline is experienced even if it lost some key pieces. We have a top notch middle linebacker in Smallwood, and while it is tough replacing 2 corners, I htink the backups are solid players and they've mostly had game experience.
Temple-I don't think Temple is going to be very good, but I do think they'll be better than the glop below them.
USF-I think they are headed in the right direction, but it will take a while. they weren't a very good team and they have no quarterback. Usually when you're hoping for a transfer to step in you quickly discover why he's a transfer...
SMU-the Mustangs were deceptive last year. they were worse than their record would indicate. Lost to some pretty marginal teams and typically got their doors blown off in their losses. I think I read that they lost almost their whole defense, but looking at the scoreboard from last year one wonders if anybody will notice.
Houston-This was a bad team last year. Lost to bad teams often by big margins. In fact, I'm not sure they even bothered putting defensive players on the field sometimes last year.
Memphis-just a bad football team. Not much more to say.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati-I think they a very good football team, again. And I think there will be an opening at the top of the league which they will muscle into. See my Louisville comments below.
UCF-I like O'Leary a lot as a coach. He is the anti-Pasqualoni. He'll have his team ready and they will be tough. Lots of returnees including a very good quarterback and a solid rusher from a nice team last year.
Louisville-I think they will have a few dings partly because they'll be too cocky, partly because they'll have a bit of a target on them. I think that some people get that if the league wants to be taken seriously, Louisville needs to get beaten a few times. Tuberville understands that and I think O'Leary does too.
Rutgers-Not sure about Rutgers and Flood. I think in part that he walked into a perfect storm last year. He brought stability and I'm not sure he can do it again. I don't love Nova as quarterback either.
UConn- I admit this is a pick based more on hope than on faith. but I think that the defense will continue to be pretty good, Hank is a good defensive coach, and perhaps a bit more ball hawking. If the offense is just average, even a little below average, we'll win a few more games. If our offense could be ranked in the 60s, we could actually be pretty good, because the dline is experienced even if it lost some key pieces. We have a top notch middle linebacker in Smallwood, and while it is tough replacing 2 corners, I htink the backups are solid players and they've mostly had game experience.
Temple-I don't think Temple is going to be very good, but I do think they'll be better than the glop below them.
USF-I think they are headed in the right direction, but it will take a while. they weren't a very good team and they have no quarterback. Usually when you're hoping for a transfer to step in you quickly discover why he's a transfer...
SMU-the Mustangs were deceptive last year. they were worse than their record would indicate. Lost to some pretty marginal teams and typically got their doors blown off in their losses. I think I read that they lost almost their whole defense, but looking at the scoreboard from last year one wonders if anybody will notice.
Houston-This was a bad team last year. Lost to bad teams often by big margins. In fact, I'm not sure they even bothered putting defensive players on the field sometimes last year.

Actually UCF lost their leading rusher from last year. Murray led them with 1200 yards.

Cincy has questions on offense. Winn might too much to replace. They're going to use RB by committee. Also, they lack WR and overall depth on offense. Tuberville is using a little different type of offense and terms for the plays. Plus, I'm not sold on their defense. You're pretty spot on with everyone else.

Reaction Score
Good point. I mis-read the report on Central Florida and didn't really research their background. Still think they will be good, though. On Cincy, I always worry when a new coach come in. And they won't replace Winn easily, but they have had a series of good running backs now and I think that continues. They seem to come up with pretty good skill guys every year.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I think UCF is a little overrated. They get credit for their 10-win season last year, but their schedule was weak and they lost to the only two BCS teams they played (Ohio St and Missouri). This year, they'll play Penn State and South Carolina early, and then the conference schedule is a huge step up for them. UConn plays them the week after they play @ Louisville.

Reaction Score
I think UCF is a little overrated. They get credit for their 10-win season last year, but their schedule was weak and they lost to the only two BCS teams they played (Ohio St and Missouri). This year, they'll play Penn State and South Carolina early, and then the conference schedule is a huge step up for them. UConn plays them the week after they play @ Louisville.
Fair enough. Though losin gto Ohio State in Columbus is no crime. Missouri was not a good loss though, I grant you. And I agree that it will be a step up this year, really for all these teams. UConn, Cincy , Rutgers and Louisville even USF I think are really better deeper teams at the moment than most of the newcomers. But of the bunch I think Central Florida is the best and again, I like their quarterback and I like their coach. thos two things will carry a team a long way. I do think that Louisville will take it on the chin a few times this year, too.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Though losin gto Ohio State in Columbus is no crime. Missouri was not a good loss though, I grant you. And I agree that it will be a step up this year, really for all these teams. UConn, Cincy , Rutgers and Louisville even USF I think are really better deeper teams at the moment than most of the newcomers. But of the bunch I think Central Florida is the best and again, I like their quarterback and I like their coach. thos two things will carry a team a long way. I do think that Louisville will take it on the chin a few times this year, too.

I agree with all of this. UCF is the best of the non-BCS teams in the conference. UConn, Ville, Rutty, and Cincinnati are used to playing a much tougher schedule, so I think that will help those teams stay towards the top of the rankings in the end.

Reaction Score
Good point. I mis-read the report on Central Florida and didn't really research their background. Still think they will be good, though. On Cincy, I always worry when a new coach come in. And they won't replace Winn easily, but they have had a series of good running backs now and I think that continues. They seem to come up with pretty good skill guys every year.

Cincinnati fan here. Winn was a nice RB but we were in this same spot last year trying to figure out how to replace Pead. Winn probably wasn't the most talented guy in the world but he ran hard and gave it his all every play. We've got a talented Sophomore in Tion Green who will likely start and a couple of JC RBs coming in. Also, Abernathy will split time in the backfield and at WR. We return all 5 starters on the OL and will probably be a run first team under the new staff. Having Kay back is also big. WRs are talented but largely unproven with the exception of McClung (who had a down year last year). The biggest loss on offense by far will be Kelce.

Most Cincinnati fans feel good about the talent and depth level we have coming into next season. Biggest concern, as you mentioned, is the first year of a brand new staff can always be challenging.

Reaction Score
Cincy - 5 o-line returnees!?! 7-1
Louisville 6-2
UConn 5-3
USF 5-3
Temple 4-4
UCF 4-4
Houston 3-5
SMU 3-5
Memphis 2-6
Rutgers 1-7 (name Anthony Weiner hc after 0-7 start - they win final game vs USF)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All these preseason rankings are harshing my mellow.

I went just the opposite way when I read the ranking. I thought "bring it on." I really believe we'll surprise people this year.

Reaction Score
Cincy - 5 o-line returnees!?! 7-1
Louisville 6-2
UConn 5-3
USF 5-3
Temple 4-4
UCF 4-4
Houston 3-5
SMU 3-5
Memphis 2-6
Rutgers 1-7 (name Anthony Weiner hc after 0-7 start - they win final game vs USF)

Even though many forget about Masters because he was hurt, many say that we have 5 returning O liners!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Even though many forget about Masters because he was hurt, many say that we have 5 returning O liners!!!!!!!

With something to prove - and that goes for the coach too.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a great final year for the Big East...er...the AAC as a BCS conference. I think UofL is the team to beat but they seem cocky and people forget they BARELY won several games last year and that also included two conferences losses so it's not like they steamrolled the Big East. Plus they will have a target on their back to boot. They are the favs but they are going to have to earn it. I think UC will be good and with the schedule we should once again have a shot at another 10 win season...the thing that scares me most is unproven rb's and wr's and our punter left and transferred to Miami FL (home for him) and he was a good one...plus new coaching staff is ALWAYS a challenge. UCF seems like they are going to be good. Plus, its their first legit shot at a BCS bowl bid with the auto bid hanging out there to grab and I can see them coming in with a chip on their shoulder and really doing something. They have the team and coach to do it. Everyone else...toss up with most likely Memphis on the bottom no matter how you run the #'s.

What are you guys thinking on UCONN this year...realistic record?

Reaction Score
For me, I don't have a clue with UConn. I think the defense will be good again. Last year the offensive line was dismal and the play calling worse so over all the offense barely qualified as one. When a successful series is 3-out punting on 4th and 1 rather than 4-8 you know it isn't going well. Still, even with one of the worst offenses in D1, we won 5 games and had chances late in 3 others (our kicker missed 4 times vs Temple and he was a good kicker). I think if we can get just average offensive play, maybe a few more turnovers on defense, where we were pretty bad last year despite a very good defense, we could be pretty good. Looking at the schedule, I'd say right now we have 5 games we should win, 3 we should lose and 4 I'd currently rate as toss-ups. Over all, I'd say 7-5 is realistic, 8-4 is possible, but so is another 5-7 campaign. Anything better than 8-4 would be a great season. Anything worse than 5-7 would mean that the wheels completely came off and the team quit. I also think anything worse than 7-5 means the end of the Pasqualoni regime for sure. Also for what its worth, I think Cincinnati will be very good this year, but the transition might be tricky. I've never loved Tuberville like some people do, and there is a possibility that he'll face some issues going from Jones' offense to the more run oriented attack he favors. They have had a knack for coming up with weapons at the skill positions though, and I think they'll do it again.

Reaction Score
Finishing 5th in this league is not really hope. That's pretty much where they stack up if they don't win any games they're not favored. 2nd 3rd or 4th would be more based on hope.

Reaction Score
As far as talent L'ville and RU are at the top followed closely by Cinncy but we all know that don't always translate into W's! I think Cinncy and RU will tie at the top and the head to head winner will win the conference and L'ville will be 3rd(target team) UConn will edge out UCF/USF for 4th then after the Fla teams Temple will be a suprise team and maybe edge out 1 of the Fla team's!SMU with June Jones working his magic will be the best of the rest newcomers and upset someone from the top4...Houston then Memphis will bring up the rear with Houston having the most future potential!Tulane is academically very sound with better coaching might edge out Memphis and won't be as bad as we think !!...@sorry,looks like I double posted below!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom