So thankful to be back in the Big East | The Boneyard

So thankful to be back in the Big East

Reaction Score
Nothing against the AAC, but if there was one school that paid the price for conference realignment, it was UConn. It reminded me of when I was a kid, my sister would do something bad, and I would get punished for it. Of course, I did plenty of bad that I didn't get punished for.

For several years, I couldn't even stomach watching my Huskies. It was was as if they had been sent to Siberia. Thank goodness, we're back in the Big East, we've got a good coach, who IMO, we should all appreciate, and the future looks bright. Win another championship and there will be a movie about this program someday. I mean it, who doesn't love a comeback story?

Reaction Score
Nothing against the AAC, but if there was one school that paid the price for conference realignment, it was UConn. It reminded me of when I was a kid, my sister would do something bad, and I would get punished for it. Of course, I did plenty of bad that I didn't get punished for.

For several years, I couldn't even stomach watching my Huskies. It was was as if they had been sent to Siberia. Thank goodness, we're back in the Big East, we've got a good coach, who IMO, we should all appreciate, and the future looks bright. Win another championship and there will be a movie about this program someday. I mean it, who doesn't love a comeback story?
certainly taught me never to take an enjoyable conference game again

Reaction Score
Whenever I get the chance I watch Big East games. Even the bottom of the conference teams. All the teams here are watchable. Whenever a "big game" in the AAC was on, I never found myself even wanting to watch it. This is home.

Reaction Score
Honestly I feel a little bad for Cincy as well.
Cinncy came out of the old Metro Conference
which included Memphis
They were much better situated geographically than us
I think Temple is the real outlier

Reaction Score
Honestly I feel a little bad for Cincy as well.
I felt bad for Louisville way back when it looked like UConn had the ACC spot and Louisville would be stuck in American. Just be happy we're out finally.

Reaction Score
I agree this conference is far better, and I enjoy watching UConn’s games in it much more, but I don’t feel the same draw as some others to watching many of the non-UConn conference games.

Don’t get me wrong there’s good basketball being played on a nightly basis, but many of these teams don’t have the sex-appeal that many of the old Big East or power 5 conference games had/have to me. Butler vs. Creighton doesn’t get me nearly as excited as say a game like Syracuse vs. Notre Dame or UNC vs. Virginia.

Think some of it also has to do with old Big East teams like Providence, Georgetown, and St. John’s being pretty mediocre this year as well. That being said, I’d probably watch more non-conference games if we were in the ACC, but I fully recognize that I’m a younger fan with less of a connection to super legacy Big East teams.

Reaction Score
I know it wouldn’t happen and we don’t need it, but in my fantasy world, I would take Cincy and Memphis in the Big East. Geographically not too far and both great basketball programs imo. Plus I love the Cincy vs Xavier rivalry. I also enjoyed playing Memphis.

Reaction Score
I know it wouldn’t happen and we don’t need it, but in my fantasy world, I would take Cincy and Memphis in the Big East. Geographically not too far and both great basketball programs imo. Plus I love the Cincy vs Xavier rivalry. I also enjoyed playing Memphis.
Although it wrecks the double round robin format. Nothing against those programs, but I’m not sure on their own the adds would be worth the schedule format change.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I agree this conference is far better, and I enjoy watching UConn’s games in it much more, but I don’t feel the same draw as some others to watching many of the non-UConn conference games.

Don’t get me wrong there’s good basketball being played on a nightly basis, but many of these teams don’t have the sex-appeal that many of the old Big East or power 5 conference games had/have to me. Butler vs. Creighton doesn’t get me nearly as excited as say a game like Syracuse vs. Notre Dame or UNC vs. Virginia.

Think some of it also has to do with old Big East teams like Providence, Georgetown, and St. John’s being pretty mediocre this year as well. That being said, I’d probably watch more non-conference games if we were in the ACC, but I fully recognize that I’m a younger fan with less of a connection to super legacy Big East teams.
Hear ya, haven't been an ACC fan since the excitement left. There have been a few one and done's but really it's a boring league. UVA snooze, UNC run no d, Duke just getting old and soft. Florida St., the best every year really and the only watchable team in my opinion. So ACC meh. Great from 80 - early 2000's after that not so much.

Reaction Score

Amen.

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Louisville way back when it looked like UConn had the ACC spot and Louisville would be stuck in American. Just be happy we're out finally.

It would have been interesting to have been part of the ACC. I think UConn, because of history and location would have been successful.

Reaction Score
Although it wrecks the double round robin format. Nothing against those programs, but I’m not sure on their own the adds would be worth the schedule format change.
Serious question .Not bustin'.. What happened vs Butler? Cold shooting night or good D by Butler??

Was really surprised at that one--didn't see it coming.

Reaction Score
Serious question .Not bustin'.. What happened vs Butler? Cold shooting night or good D by Butler??

Was really surprised at that one--didn't see it coming.
Definitely cold... 7% from 3. Always have to give some credit to D, but mostly self inflicted I think.

UConn def would have beaten Nova yesterday. Any given Sunday.

Reaction Score
Although this is improbable...

If the B12 transformed with UT and OK going PAC, I like the scenario of Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State coming to the Big East. Then you add Cincy and Temple (over Memphis IMO).

The result is a 16 Team conference with 2 geographic divisions.

Adding Kansas would be worth the format change. Adding just Cincy (and Memphis or Temple), not, IMO.

Reaction Score
I was against UConn coming back to the Big East, mainly because of the fact that you pay football and are a state school. I liked the common interests of the conference schools. The more I thought about it, the more comfortable I'm getting. UConn is a quality academic school like the rest of the conference, and basketball is clearly the main sport at UConn. They clearly have more in common with the Big East schools than the AAC.

I would definitely be against a school like Memphis, which fits the Big East model in exactly zero ways. It's the conference is to expand, Gonzaga is the only school that makes sense.

Reaction Score
I actually watch the other games in our conference again.
Not me. I'm happy to be back here because I like playing our old rivals, but Pre AAC I used to love other Big East games and also liked to watch good matchups around the country in other conferences.

After the conference realignment bs, I hate every team equally, and don't care about any game that UCONN isn't playing.

Reaction Score
I was against UConn coming back to the Big East, mainly because of the fact that you pay football and are a state school. I liked the common interests of the conference schools. The more I thought about it, the more comfortable I'm getting. UConn is a quality academic school like the rest of the conference, and basketball is clearly the main sport at UConn. They clearly have more in common with the Big East schools than the AAC.

I would definitely be against a school like Memphis, which fits the Big East model in exactly zero ways. It's the conference is to expand, Gonzaga is the only school that makes sense.
I am always curious when people talk about non-basketball related factors when explaining why they do or don't want a team in a given conference. I realize that there are tons of thoughts that commissioners, ADs, school presidents, etc. might have on the subject, but, as a basketball fan, why do you care about academics (for example)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom