So, SMU is now a P-4 | The Boneyard

So, SMU is now a P-4

Reaction Score
Congrats to Stanford on finding a new, but distant, home. SMU too.

So, UCBerk is gonna have to play a religious backed school . Go Demon Deacs!

Reaction Score

I wonder if this means that UCLA won't have to pay Cal's rent anymore?

Reaction Score
All this conference realignements make me wonder is what you call "Football" the only sport that counts ?

Reaction Score
All this conference realignements make me wonder is what you call "Football" the only sport that counts ?
Definitely. Football is the big moneymaker and pretty much all the P5 conference realignment since the early 90’s concerns schools looking to better their status for football. The SEC inviting South Carolina and Arkansas to join so they would have enough teams, according the NCAA’s bylaws, to put on an SEC Championship game, was likely the start of all the upheaval since. FSU moved to the ACC in ‘91.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't Notre Dame fall into this category as well?

Fair question, cancontent... I'd say more so than Wake. In spite of the inference of my avatar, visitingcock, Wake not quite the Baptist school it was generations ago.

Reaction Score
Definitely. Football is the big moneymaker and pretty much all the P5 conference realignment since the early 90’s concerns schools looking to better their status for football. The SEC inviting South Carolina and Arkansas to join so they would have enough teams, according the NCAA’s bylaws, to put on an SEC Championship game, was likely the start of all the upheaval since. FSU moved to the ACC in ‘91.

back up to the early 80s. Georgia and Oklahoma sued the NCAA who controlled and limited TV broadcasts. They won and it allowed teams or conferences to negotiate with TV for game broadcasts. Cable TV was a new platform and hungry for sports programming. Football broadcasts exploded.

Southerners love football. It’s the modern way of refighting the civil war. Thus it produced the best fanbase ( followed closely by the midwestern states). TV wanted more games. The SEC foresaw that a conference championship game would generate huge ratings.

1990s: Arkansas was a football power and unhappy with their SWC relationship with Texas. Florida had exploded in population due to air conditioning and FSU’s tv popularity from their recent success against highly ranked independents. Both were invited to the SEC. However, FSU believed they could own the ACC for an easier path to the national championship game.

South Carolina who, like FSU, had adopted a play anybody at anytime schedule in the 80s had enjoyed great ratings during George Rogers heisman year and the 1984 season beating a host of top teams.( BYUs 84 trophy shouldda been Scar’s choke choke choke) They were invited to rejoin the ACC. However, FSU followed the easier path and SCar defaulted to the SEC.

The next 20 years saw every conference expand toward the SEC model as top independents sough out conferences to increase their bargaining power. Top independents or new Big EST members) like PSU, Miami and VaTech were subsequently grabbed up.

However, there was Texas. Their greed drove Nebraska and Colorado out of the Big 12 ( a 12 team merger of the 80s Big 8 and SWC). Eventually, it even drove out TX A&M along with Mizzou.

What’s next? Is the SEC strong enough to survive Texas? Will the expansion beyond the 12 team model be wise or will cohesiveness be lost. Can the ACC and Big 12 survive against the two big dogs? Will Notre Dame keep its NBC contract and relative independence? Can west coast teams survive the new travel issues?

Will the P-4 turn their eyes toward the basketball honey pot? Will UConn ever get a p-4 invite? Will football continue to be the cash cow? Will streaming ever be an important money generator?

My generation has seen huge change. What will the next one see? WILL CONFERENCES START CUTTING TEAMS to get back to the 12/14 team model that has worked to well for the SEC and BIG? Will it settle out at 4 twenty member conferences? ( 18 is a weird stopping point)

Alas, I have gotten old.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
back up to the early 80s. Georgia and Oklahoma sued the NCAA who controlled and limited TV broadcasts. They won and it allowed teams or conferences to negotiate with TV for game broadcasts. Cable TV was a new platform and hungry for sports programming. Football broadcasts exploded.

Southerners love football. It’s the modern way of refighting the civil war. Thus it produced the best fanbase ( followed closely by the midwestern states). TV wanted more games. The SEC foresaw that a conference championship game would generate huge ratings.

1990s: Arkansas was a football power and unhappy with their SWC relationship with Texas. Florida had exploded in population due to air conditioning and FSU’s tv popularity from their recent success against highly ranked independents. Both were invited to the SEC. However, FSU believed they could own the ACC for an easier path to the national championship game.

South Carolina who, like FSU, had adopted a play anybody at anytime schedule in the 80s had enjoyed great ratings during George Rogers heisman year and the 1984 season beating a host of top teams.( BYUs 84 trophy shouldda been Scar’s choke choke choke) They were invited to rejoin the ACC. However, FSU followed the easier path and SCar defaulted to the SEC.

The next 20 years saw every conference expand toward the SEC model as top independents sough out conferences to increase their bargaining power. Top independents or new Big EST members) like PSU, Miami and VaTech were subsequently grabbed up.

However, there was Texas. Their greed drove Nebraska and Colorado out of the Big 12 ( a 12 team merger of the 80s Big 8 and SWC). Eventually, it even drove out TX A&M along with Mizzou.

What’s next? Is the SEC strong enough to survive Texas? Will the expansion beyond the 12 team model be wise or will cohesiveness be lost. Can the ACC and Big 12 survive against the two big dogs? Will Notre Dame keep its NBC contract and relative independence? Can west coast teams survive the new travel issues?

Will the P-4 turn their eyes toward the basketball honey pot? Will UConn ever get a p-4 invite? Will football continue to be the cash cow? Will streaming ever be an important money generator?

My generation has seen huge change. What will the next one see? WILL CONFERENCES START CUTTING TEAMS to get back to the 12/14 team model that has worked to well for the SEC and BIG? Will it settle out at 4 twenty member conferences? ( 18 is a weird stopping point)

Alas, I have gotten old.
Well done, visitingcock. I won't vouch for the 100 percent accuracy of all your statements, but it was a trip reading it. Thanks!

Oh, how I miss the rivalries of the '60s, when you and I had not yet 'gotten old!'

Reaction Score
What’s next? Is the SEC strong enough to survive Texas?
yes.
Will the expansion beyond the 12 team model be wise or will cohesiveness be lost.
They'll figure it out. I think the Olympics sports will have issues.
Can the ACC and Big 12 survive against the two big dogs?
No. They'll still a 3rd wheel to the big 2.
Will Notre Dame keep its NBC contract and relative independence? Can west coast teams survive the new travel issues?
This is the thing I will be watching the most. Personally, I think Notre Dame is stuck in the ACC with Stanford joining the conference.
Will the P-4 turn their eyes toward the basketball honey pot?
No.
Will UConn ever get a p-4 invite?
Never. This was their shot and the Big 12 rejected them.
Will football continue to be the cash cow? Will streaming ever be an important money generator?
Most definitely.

Alas, I have gotten old.
I'm old as well. I still miss the Maryland - South Carolina rivalry in ACC basketball.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Alas, I have gotten old.
Thanks. I really enjoyed your synopsis, which included some fresh insights for me. You describe the pull of TV and other factors towards these expanding conference alignments; I suspect there has been an insidious, continuous push as well, the push of growing dissatisfaction as to how the NCAA runs things.

Reaction Score

Alas, I have gotten old.
Thanks for the breakdown. The good old Southwest Conference. Those were the days. The Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston. Great times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm old as well. I still miss the Maryland - South Carolina rivalry in ACC basketball.
I used to spend a good amount of time on the College Park campus. I’ve only been a couple of times in recent years and couldn’t get over all the B1G signs. Head bang

I miss the Maryland-Virginia rivalry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom