QB discussion ... | The Boneyard

QB discussion ...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm trying to be more optimistic than the usual suspects, but this is not a good line. I wonder if temery's nanny-o-matic will even let this be printed... :

“I’m still waiting to see that moment for when I can say, that’s our guy," he said. “That’s why I gave Jack a couple reps. ... We put him in over there because hey, if guys go down he would be the third quarterback.”
Edsall said he wanted to see how Zergiotis would respond to a little pressure.
“The thing is, you can’t go and poop down your leg," Edsall said. "And that’s why I put him in that situation today. To see how they react.”

Reaction Score
It will be a couple of games before we know who can do what at qb and at the receiver positions. Edsall is just trying to motivate the qb's. None of us know what we have at qb at this point, we really haven't seen them perform. Obviously not an experienced group except for Beaudry.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to be more optimistic than the usual suspects, but this is not a good line. I wonder if temery's nanny-o-matic will even let this be printed... :

“I’m still waiting to see that moment for when I can say, that’s our guy," he said. “That’s why I gave Jack a couple reps. ... We put him in over there because hey, if guys go down he would be the third quarterback.”
“The thing is, you can’t go and poop down your leg," Edsall said. "And that’s why I put him in that situation today. To see how they react.”

Here’s the full context:

>>Quarterback competition still unsettled

UConn still doesn’t have a starting quarterback, and Thursday’s practice suggested that Edsall isn’t particularly close to choosing one.

Not only did graduate transfer Mike Beaudry and redshirt freshman Steven Krajewski take snaps with the first-team offense, but freshman Jack Zergiotis also got a look.

Edsall summoned Zergiotis after a pair of Krajewski interceptions in 11-on-11 drills, and the freshman promptly led a touchdown drive. “I’m still waiting to see that moment for when I can say, that’s our guy," he said.

“That’s why I gave Jack a couple reps. ... We put him in over there because hey, if guys go down he would be the third quarterback.”

“The thing is, you can’t go and poop down your leg," Edsall said. "And that’s why I put him in that situation today. To see how they react.”<<

Reaction Score
I tend to think you're right, but, man, that's a rough way to say it to the press...

Yes, because you want to soft pedal the guy who will be asked to lead under fire :rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guess Leon is more than a little banged up?

It’s a bleak indicator that Beaudry isn’t the named starter after camp.

Reaction Score
HCRE is playing the cagey like a fox game. He knows who his starter is but is covering all of his options. He HAD to give Zergiotis some practice time to be able to guage the kid's ability. This is just good coaching. You don't know what you have until you see it with your own eyes. Taking an example from the Thunderchickens to the Northeast of us, how do you suppose an unknown, undersized, 4th string true freshman name Doug Flutie became an opening day starter for BC? Because his head coach evaluated him in preseason practice.

Reaction Score

Typical HCRE

He’s done this for 2 decades.

Reaction Score
HCRE is playing the cagey like a fox game. He knows who his starter is but is covering all of his options. He HAD to give Zergiotis some practice time to be able to guage the kid's ability. This is just good coaching. You don't know what you have until you see it with your own eyes. Taking an example from the Thunderchickens to the Northeast of us, how do you suppose an unknown, undersized, 4th string true freshman name Doug Flutie became an opening day starter for BC? Because his head coach evaluated him in preseason practice.
I think it's gonna be Krajewski, with snaps for Beaudry if we get a lead. So Steven Krajewski throws a couple to Tyler Coyle in practice, big deal, I think he still will be the starter with Beaudry getting 2nd half snaps.

Reaction Score
Cool narrative except Flutie was not the starter at the beginning of the season. John Loughery was the starter. Also at time, BC had a QB coach named Tom Coughlin who had a pretty good career with an eye for talent.

I hope Z is a phenom just like Flutie. Not sure he has the coaching around him.

Reaction Score
If I’m a coach and I think I need to go out and get an experienced transfer/juco because those on the roster aren’t good enough/need more development, I don’t pull the trigger on someone unless I’m confident he should win the starting job. Nobody’s perfect (Fines), but REs track record has been pretty good over the years in this regard. That’s why I think Beaudry will be given every chance to win the job. They like Steven Krajewski but it sounds like his brain needs another year of development. And it sounds like Jack Zergiotis has done better than expected. I hope the “Randy is just playing it close to the vest” people are right, but my not-connected-to-anyone-in-the-program vibe is that Beaudry has been underperforming enough to not seize the job.

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait until I at least see them in action to judge. If they have good protection, have a decent running game and the receivers can get open and catch the ball, that's more than half the battle. Some of this also falls on the defense. If they are not playing from far behind all the time, they can be more multidimensional on offense.

Reaction Score
Cool narrative except Flutie was not the starter at the beginning of the season. John Loughery was the starter. Also at time, BC had a QB coach named Tom Coughlin who had a pretty good career with an eye for talent.

I hope Z is a phenom just like Flutie. Not sure he has the coaching around him.

Doesn't Edsall come from the Coughlin coaching tree?

Reaction Score
I think it means he got Zergoitis reps so he doesn't crap the bed if he has to go into a game due to injuries. We are going crazy parsing every comment like we are.
That and he was ticked that Krajewski threw INTs on cosecutive plays. Maybe in the new everybody gets a trophy era coaches don’t do this stuff but in the old days putting the #3 in when you aren’t happy, and something along the lines of give me somebody who wants to play since you clearly don’t was SOP for just about every coach.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I’m a coach and I think I need to go out and get an experienced transfer/juco because those on the roster aren’t good enough/need more development, I don’t pull the trigger on someone unless I’m confident he should win the starting job. Nobody’s perfect (Fines), but REs track record has been pretty good over the years in this regard. That’s why I think Beaudry will be given every chance to win the job. They like Steven Krajewski but it sounds like his brain needs another year of development. And it sounds like Jack Zergiotis has done better than expected. I hope the “Randy is just playing it close to the vest” people are right, but my not-connected-to-anyone-in-the-program vibe is that Beaudry has been underperforming enough to not seize the job.

Living in Pittsburgh, I recall a couple of years ago Pitt got Max Browne from USC (where he lost the job to Darnold). Sports media thought it was a brilliant get and handed him the starting job. Turns out Browne sucked. Kenny Pickett won the job.

It happens.

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait until I at least see them in action to judge. If they have good protection, have a decent running game and the receivers can get open and catch the ball, that's more than half the battle. Some of this also falls on the defense. If they are not playing from far behind all the time, they can be more multidimensional on offense.

I sort of agree about playing from behind, but last year we were always playing from behind and we were not multidimensional because we gave up on the run but because we couldn't pass.

Reaction Score
I sort of agree about playing from behind, but last year we were always playing from behind and we were not multidimensional because we gave up on the run but because we couldn't pass.
Last year we were always playing from behind in the 2nd half. Wheels always came off after halftime.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Edsall does this almost every year. DanO's sophomore season when he was clearly the best QB on the squad with lots of experience as a freshman, he refused to name DanO the starter until the first game. He knows, he just isn't saying.
Who do you want named the starter?

Who do you want to see taking snaps?

Let's get this out of the way preseason instead of week 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman