So Our Congressional Delegation... | The Boneyard

So Our Congressional Delegation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
really is doing something at least....

"As expected six members of Connecticut's congressional delegation (all but Rep. Jim Himes) called on the NCAA to review and modify a new rule regarding the Academic Progress Rate. In a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert, delegation members called on the NCAA to remove the retroactive application of sanctions because it has unfair and negative ramifications for academic institutions and their students."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-men-basketball-0419-20120418,0,1062005.story

Reaction Score
really is doing something at least....

"As expected six members of Connecticut's congressional delegation (all but Rep. Jim Himes) called on the NCAA to review and modify a new rule regarding the Academic Progress Rate. In a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert, delegation members called on the NCAA to remove the retroactive application of sanctions because it has unfair and negative ramifications for academic institutions and their students."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-men-basketball-0419-20120418,0,1062005.story
I like how they have a pic of Rip vs, UMass in describing the game winner vs. Washington. I guess they couldn't get permission to use an appropriate pic or were too lazy?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm sure the NCAA will let us in the tournament now that they've gutted our roster. Chances are better than 50-50 we don't make it next year anyway.

Reaction Score
Himes better have a good reason or he has lost my vote. Ummm? He doesn't represent my district but hell he still doesn't have my vote and will never get it.

Reaction Score
The NCAA really is moronic.
The only correct way to do this is by using the most recent Apr data. Otherwise, the NCAA is punishing an innocent group of kids. I can't help but think that this won't work well for the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said colleges have known about the standard and penalties since 2006. He says every other team at UConn and around the Northeast met the standard, so the real issue is the academic performance of UConn's men's basketball team.

I'm convinced that the NCAA is one giant collection of bumbling idiots.

Just because the NCAA says colleges may have known this penalty was a possibility since 2006 is not a compelling legal argument for a rule that was put in place in October, then used to retroactively punish a school that was already punished under the previously established rules.

And that's not even mentioning that this duck*wad is completely contradicting the president of the Committee on Academic Performance Walter Harrison, who said teams would have ample time to prepare for the changes...a comment that was made far more recently than 2007. I'm pretty sure implementing rules retroactively does not qualify as "ample time."

Further, the NCAA is ignoring the fact that a slew of high-profile schools would have missed the 2012 NCAA tournament if the new rules were put in place for this year.

UConn really needs to sue their as$es.

Reaction Score
Btw, Manuel had this to say in a speech last night on campus: "What we're fighting is not the APR rule, its a fight against the timing and structure of things. But we will make you proud".

caw

Reaction Score
Why does the media keep letting the NCAA get away with the statement that schools have been aware of these rules and penalties since 2006?

Reaction Score
Why does the media keep letting the NCAA get away with the statement that schools have been aware of these rules and penalties since 2006?
I think that having the congressional delegation on our side will bring some attention to the issue. The NCAA is trying to make an example of UConn. They are punishing UConn as though they paid a player or agent, fudged a transcript or grades, invented classes, paid or rewarded players' families, etc. They didn't break NCAA rules. Kids didn't get it done in the classroom and nobody at UConn did enough to prevent that. The NCAA wants to show that it is serious about academics. It will backfire.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA really gave a gosh darn about academics, they would realize that UConn's APR numbers have improved and made the mark over the last couple years and would not punish them. Instead they think they have an opportunity to look tough with a major program. Sucks.

Reaction Score
"But Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said colleges have known about the standard and penalties since 2006."

Ummm no. They have known about the standard but the penalty was just implemented last year. Can't somebody mention this to this fool?

Reaction Score
"But Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said colleges have known about the standard and penalties since 2006."

Ummm no. They have known about the standard but the penalty was just implemented last year. Can't somebody mention this to this fool?
I think that he means, "we informed the schools that there will be major penalties" in 2006. The NCAA will find any way they can to word things. It gives them a foothold. That said, it would be nice for some member of the media to point out that this isn't true. I think unless congress or anyone else with power can take up our cause and make some noise, I think the local media will be the only ones who know the truth.

Reaction Score
The NCAA was usually pretty tight-lipped about all of these things, but it seems like they are coming out with snarky comments and copping an attitude -- first with Ryan Boatright and now this. Perhaps they are doing it with other schools' appeals too and I don't notice because I'm not paying attention. But it's sort of unbecoming.

I'd like to take him to task over one part of the statement. The issue is not with the UConn Men's Basketball TEAM. The team, as is currently constructed, is quite excellent thank you very much - we'll print 978 on the national championship rings if it'll make you happy. If you want to say the issue is with the UConn Men's Basketball PROGRAM, you can have a point - because that is a more macro perspective. Or you can say the issue WAS with the UConn Men's Basketball team (at that time).

It's just semantics, but if you are putting out a statement like that, every word should be chosen carefully. And this is a big time whiff. Like forgetting "allegedly".

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is about past sins, real or imagined, nothing more.

Reaction Score
We'll know our 2011-2012 scores in September of 2012, before the basketball team even has its first practice. I'm hoping Herbst and Manuel issue a press release the very day the score is finalized. The tone of this press release should be something like "The NCAA wants two years of data - here it is. The two most recent, and therefore most relevant, years of data suggest that APR is not a problem for the men's basketball team. If they want to act like morons and use the older data, that's on them."

Reaction Score
This is about past sins, real or imagined, nothing more.
That's where I'm most outraged and feel bad for the current group of young men on the team. If the APR is about academic progress obviously the players over the last couple of years have shown it.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
''Every other team at the University of Connecticut met the standard,'' Williams said. ''Every other team in the entire Northeast did."
Look at me listing a whole bunch of facts that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Reaction Score
This is an issue that will swing my vote for certain politicians one way or another. Get something done.

Reaction Score
''Every other team at the University of Connecticut met the standard,'' Williams said. ''Every other team in the entire Northeast did."
Look at me listing a whole bunch of facts that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

It's truly remarkable how the Uconn swimming coach is able to prevent his/her swimmers from leaving early for the draft. It's just as remarkable that the golf coach is able to talk his golfers out of transferring to another school to get more the more prestigious tee times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom