So Much For The Vaunted "Alliance" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So Much For The Vaunted "Alliance"

Reaction Score
This should scare anyone who clings to the current model of college sports:

I am reading this and still thinking: Is a PIG university like Texas gonna want to keep pulling along Vandy? Missouri? That Oligarchy Econ 101 is they are gonna want a bigger bigger payout and dump those not pulling their weight. Sure pick up ND or FSU. Get that trash to the curb.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they were looking at these projections and figured out, "Hey, why not see how we could change our composition?"

V2-Chart.png

Does anybody believe the projections for the Big 12?

Reaction Score
I am reading this and still thinking: Is a PIG university like Texas gonna want to keep pulling along Vandy? Missouri? That Oligarchy Econ 101 is they are gonna want a bigger bigger payout and dump those not pulling their weight. Sure pick up ND or FSU. Get that trash to the curb.
not going to happen. they need the vandys etc to pad their records. its worth the money to keep them

Reaction Score
Was just thinking they must’ve done this before the B12 replaced it’s flagship programs with 3 commuter schools and cincy. I’d expect a very sig drop from where they are now - think big East circa 2010

Reaction Score
The other conferences are projected to almost double. The Big 12 is only going up 30%. I have no idea about this payout business but it seems "reasonable" for a conference with, from top to bottom, good football. I'd like to see what the projections are for the other conferences.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The other conferences are projected to almost double. The Big 12 is only going up 30%. I have no idea about this payout business but it seems "reasonable" for a conference with, from top to bottom, good football. I'd like to see what the projections are for the other conferences.
You have to keep in mind these projections aren’t just media rights payouts- it’s ALL payouts. Bowl money, expanded CFP money, TV money, etc.

Everyone stands to gain significantly financially from a 12 team playoff including the G5 leagues.

I also don’t necessarily believe that data- it’s just estimates. There’s been estimates the B1G could fetch over $100M in TV money alone come 2024.

Reaction Score
The author of that column is either ignorant of facts or doesn't mind ignoring them.

What from that piece is accurate? The SEC and Big 10 are in powerful, enviable positions.

What is inaccurate or flawed? Almost every other thought expressed.

Reaction Score
At least Vandy is an elite academic and has an $11 billion endowment. What do the Mississippis bring to the table. the next two smallest schools, enrollment and endowment. Point taken: There are programs just riding coattails.

Reaction Score
From an entertainment standpoint I probably watch more b12 game than b10 games simply because I think they are more entertaining. Generally a lot more action and the bottom half of the b10 generally gets whipped by the top teams. That said, as with the b10 there are a lot of rural markets for those schools which generally adds a lot of tv boxes. They got some relatively big tv markets in the reorg in Houston, Cincy, Ucf and Byu, and Texas was already compromising the other group's payouts. I think once they are up and rolling, that's going to be a pretty formidable market for both fb and bb. Let's face it, with fb, from a competition stand point, there is the SEC and then everybody else. These alliances not working have more to do where the b10 is concerned with cutting into their revenues.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they were looking at these projections and figured out, "Hey, why not see how we could change our composition?"

V2-Chart.png

Extra Points' Matt Brown and D1.ticker's Bryan Fischer chat with Navigate SVP of Analytics and Innovation Matt Balvanz to discuss his recent white paper estimating future Power Five conference payouts: Power 5 Conference Payout Estimates | Navigate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom