So Maybe She’s Not So Clutch | The Boneyard

So Maybe She’s Not So Clutch

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
FT shooting vs. in game shooting in end of game situations varies player by player. Taurasi, for example, has historically struggled hitting FTs late in games but is money for big moment shots on the court. Arike appears to be similar...she was money in last years Final Four hitting big shots but people forget she missed back to back HUGE FTs in OT that likely seal an ND win...this led to the Dangerfield 3 and her game winner after. Vs. UCONN this year she hit her FTs but missed the front end of 2 FTs today which cemented ND's loss. Tough way to go out but she went out fighting and had a heck of a career. Arguably the best in ND history.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I never thought she would make every key 4th quarter shot for the rest of her life.

It did start to feel that way at times though.

Making an improbable 3 to win one year and missing key free throws one year...that's the yin and yang of basketball.

That's...the facts of life.

Reaction Score
Thinking how odd it is that ND’s free throwing went somewhat sour when it was most needed. And the great AO blew the FT that would have given ND a shot at overtime.
Loved that she blew the FF but she was special most of the game, unconscious 2nd half. While her miss made be ultra happy, surprised so few congratulated AO on a great game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Loved that she blew the FF but she was special most of the game, unconscious 2nd half. While her miss made be ultra happy, surprised so few congratulated AO on a great game.

Do you mean so few on this board? Or on the court?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either of last year's AO's shots were miss it and we lose... They were OT if missed, which is way different than if I miss a free throw we lose. There is clutch, and then there is CLUTCH... see Guy for VA yesterday in the men's Final Four...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame was down two with 3.9 seconds left. Ursin was covering AO. Everyone in the arena knew the ball was going to AO. Ursin is powerful but short and AO would have no trouble getting a shot over her. Richards was the better defensive matchup but she had four fouls and more importantly, hurt her leg in the fourth quarter and was gimpy.

McGraw had a decision to make. Go for the win, or go for the tie. She chose the latter. She knew that Baylor was vulnerable, with Cox and Smith out, and Richards and Jackson with four fouls each, plus Richards was gimpy. And Brown had been in for 37 minutes and was probably exhausted. Overtime favored ND. She probably figured the refs would call a foul if AO took it hard to the hole, and she was right. The refs were letting everything go early but were calling it very tight late. And, of course, they are Notre Dame after all.

So AO got the ball and took it to the hole, creating enough contact.

It looked like they were going to overtime.

The first free throw looked to me like it was going to be good but it rattled out. Shocking. I wonder about the hoops they use at these final fours conducted in hockey arenas. Are they new hoops? Are the rims perhaps a bit on the tight side?

It sure looked to me in the arena that she tried to miss the second, but her line drive went in.

Sports are fickle. The ball goes in and you are a gutsy hero. It rattles out and you aren’t.

I am not a big fan of AO based in large part on her conduct against UConn in the game at ND in December. But, I have to admit that she and Mabry played really well and hit shot after shot in the second half. It was a thrilling game, even for UConn fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame was down two with 3.9 seconds left. McGraw took an extra timeout to see what the defense looked like. Ursin was covering AO. Everyone in the arena knew the ball was going to AO. Ursin is powerful but short and AO would have no trouble getting a shot over her. Richards was the better defensive matchup but she had four fouls and more importantly, hurt her leg in the fourth quarter and was gimpy.

McGraw had a decision to make. Go for the win, or go for the tie. She chose the latter. She knew that Baylor was vulnerable, with Cox and Smith out, and Richards and Jackson with four fouls each, plus Richards was gimpy. She probably figured the refs would call a foul if AO took it hard to the hole, and she was right. The refs were letting everything go early but were calling it very tight late. And, of course, they are Notre Dame after all.

So AO got the ball and drove it hard, creating contact.

The first free throw looked to me like it was going to be good but it rattled out. Shocking. I wonder about the hoops they use at these final fours conducted in hockey arenas. Are they new hoops? Are the rims perhaps a bit on the tight side?

It sure looked to me in the arena that she tried to miss the second, but her line drive went in. I was surprised that Mulkey didn’t call a time out to advance the ball. She had one left, ND was out of time outs. Tossing it into the front court would have ended the game.

Sports are fickle. The ball goes in and you are a gutsy hero. It rattles out of a hoop with a tight rim and you aren’t.

I am not a big fan of AO based in large part on her conduct against UConn in the game at ND in December. But, I have to admit that she and Mabry played really well and hit shot after shot in the second half. It was a thrilling game, even for UConn fan.
Baylor did NOT have any timeouts left at the end.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notre Dame was down two with 3.9 seconds left. McGraw took an extra timeout to see what the defense looked like. Ursin was covering AO. Everyone in the arena knew the ball was going to AO. Ursin is powerful but short and AO would have no trouble getting a shot over her. Richards was the better defensive matchup but she had four fouls and more importantly, hurt her leg in the fourth quarter and was gimpy.

McGraw had a decision to make. Go for the win, or go for the tie. She chose the latter. She knew that Baylor was vulnerable, with Cox and Smith out, and Richards and Jackson with four fouls each, plus Richards was gimpy. She probably figured the refs would call a foul if AO took it hard to the hole, and she was right. The refs were letting everything go early but were calling it very tight late. And, of course, they are Notre Dame after all.

So AO got the ball and drove it hard, creating contact.

It sure looked to me in the arena that she tried to miss the second, but her line drive went in. I was surprised that Mulkey didn’t call a time out to advance the ball. She had one left, ND was out of time outs. Tossing it into the front court would have ended the game.

Sports are fickle. The ball goes in and you are a gutsy hero. It rattles out of a hoop with a tight rim and you aren’t.

Great post, but a picky correction: It was Baylor that called the last timeout before ND's inbound play.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Baylor did NOT have any timeouts left at the end.

My bad. I had thought it was Notre Dame that called the second timeout before the play to AO. Apparently it was Baylor. Post edited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame didn’t lose because she missed the free throw; they lost because Jackie Young was 1-8 from the field and scored only four points. Kudos to Baylor for stopping ND’s most important player.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
FT shooting vs. in game shooting in end of game situations varies player by player. Taurasi, for example, has historically struggled hitting FTs late in games but is money for big moment shots on the court. Arike appears to be similar...she was money in last years Final Four hitting big shots but people forget she missed back to back HUGE FTs in OT that likely seal an ND win...this led to the Dangerfield 3 and her game winner after. Vs. UCONN this year she hit her FTs but missed the front end of 2 FTs today which cemented ND's loss. Tough way to go out but she went out fighting and had a heck of a career. Arguably the best in ND history.
who? (even tho I see she passed her in scoring leaders, I'd like to see the comparison with all stats)
1554697955828.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
who? (even tho I see she passed her in scoring leaders, I'd like to see the comparison with all stats)
View attachment 42028

I'd still probably go with Sky considering she was the star that put ND back on the map as a title threat, but when you look at Arike's body of work it holds up against any ND player. She has the stats, the title, MOP, the buzzer beaters, 2x AA and another runner up with two stellar performances in the Final Four her senior season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom