So let's be honest, what's left for UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So let's be honest, what's left for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whatever may be left for us (under a worst case scenario) will still be there three, four or five years down the road. What we need to do, the only thing we can do is basically what we are doing (replacing the football coach excepted for the time being) which is attempting to build the university into something on all levels that looks and acts like a university that belongs among the better major universities.

I don't know what will happen and I realize that there will be further bumps in the road. Contrary to what many on this board believe, I personally believe that the longer it takes for the next round of B1G expansion, the better off we will be as it will put us further along our course of action. Like it or not, if the B1G expands tomorrow, we have little chance of getting there. If it take four years for that conference to announce their expansion to sixteen, we have a very solid chance of being one of the two top candidates.

We need to look at this from a larger perspective than what conference our football program will be playing the 2015 season in. We need to get to the best home for the last eight decades of this century. From that point of view it will make little difference if we landed there in 2016 or 2019. Additionally, it will make little difference (assuming we never land there) if our fate doesn't finally get determined until 2017 instead of 2014.
That is so atypical of our culture whose driving forces are "what's in it for me" and "I want it yesterday".

What galaxy are you from?

Reaction Score
1.) There is one hole currently, it's easily filled remember each team had 3 teams they weren't playing already from within the conference... those teams will plug the holes for the teams missing 1 or 2 games, that said there will be significant reshuffling of the home and away opponents. Worst case, they'll be a push to put Tulane and ECU in next year instead of waiting until 2014

2.) SDSU and Boise State were only vulnerable as they did not have a significant all sports home comparable to what they were losing from the MWC. Between travel costs, declining revenue in their other sports, and the perception problem the current Big East suffers from it makes sense for them to leave. It makes much less sense for Houston or SMU, who would still be outliers in the MWC, and frankly given the recent moves, may have significantly more influence on the new conference. I'd expect the MWC to make a run at BYU for football only again (or all sports if they'll have it).

3.) UConn is the unquestioned flagship of this conference... with Cincy #2.

4.) UConn will eventually be ok. Is it necessarily guaranteed to be tied into the top 4 (or 5) conferences that survive, no not by a long shot, but the long term worst case is a conference for all sports that includes the picked over ACC teams, among those likely to remain: BC, Syracuse, Pitt (obviously Wake, possibly Miami or Duke); and the pest of the remaining Big East: Cincy, Temple, USF, etc. Is it great? No, but it's reasonably close to what UConn thought it was getting when it signed up for the Big East absent, the top flight football program, and better than the conference with Tulane, ECU, et al.

--

Realignment is not done yet. The only way for the Pac-12 to grow with the "right" programs is through the Big XII which can only grow right now through the East Coast. I think the ACC will cease to be a part of the "Big 5", but many of its teams will end up in the "Big XII", while the Pac-12's eastern division will eventually feature some Big XII teams. Unfortunately I think UConn is looking at the rump ACC barring some tremendous developments in the next few years... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure how you reasonably come up with a different solution (unless you truly believe that UConn/UVa are the last pieces in a Delany scheme to lock up the Megapolis, I don't, but again I hope I'm wrong).

Reaction Score
If anything UCONN may want to form an alliance with Notre Dame in football if they want to go independent. Michigan and USC always play Notre Dame and perhaps UCONN could be the little brother following in the footsteps. This is just something I've been thinking of. Don't know how it would work. Any thoughts?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The news is only bad if you think UConn needs a sports conference in order to actually field teams and play things like football and basketball.

Is there even a sliver of hope or should I be looking for a new hobby?

Reaction Score
If anything UCONN may want to form an alliance with Notre Dame in football if they want to go independent. Michigan and USC always play Notre Dame and perhaps UCONN could be the little brother following in the footsteps. This is just something I've been thinking of. Don't know how it would work. Any thoughts?

What would this alliance entail?

Us: "Hey Notre Dame, we want to do what you do do, let's form an alliance".

ND: "Wow, that sounds awesome. We are now allies. Well, catch you later, we are off to play USC. Maybe we can get a coffee when you guys get back from Buffalo".

Reaction Score

ND: "Wow, that sounds awesome. We are now allies. Well, catch you later, we are off to play USC. Maybe we can get a coffee when you guys get back from Buffalo".

Well they are interested in continuing the women's Bball series after they leave, could we leverage that? I'm reaching for anything at this point.

Reaction Score

That is the question I'm asking. There are proponents of on this board on going Independent. Notre Dame is the example of how it is done. Yes they have the history (Gipper, Wake Up the Echos, Touchdown Jesus, Rudy etc). But we have to be creative. At least Talk with Notre Dame. If anything having a guaranteed game with Notre Dame each year would be serious money and an opening for recruiting. Why not be known as the barnstorming Huskies?

Whatever. I guess I'm crazy to think this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's finally happened. After wearing the paint off the F5 key on two computers, I've finally gotten to the point that I just don't care anymore. It is out of our control. We're screwed in the near term, so...I'll watch the games that are scheduled and root for our teams and without giving a rat's ass about conference. It's all we can do, IMO.

Reaction Score
That is the question I'm asking. There are proponents of on this board on going Independent. Notre Dame is the example of how it is done. Yes they have the history (Gipper, Wake Up the Echos, Touchdown Jesus, Rudy etc). But we have to be creative. At least Talk with Notre Dame. If anything having a guaranteed game with Notre Dame each year would be serious money and an opening for recruiting. Why not be known as the barnstorming Huskies?

I think we all dream of that working from time to time. Honestly though, if others schools could do it, they would. We just don't have the cache to land a decent schedule as an Indy. We could get plenty of great away/NYC games but our home schedule would be awful. Then again, I might be ok with that for a while. If we started winning big road games, we'd build momentum quickly.

Reaction Score

It's possible, but not sure Notre Dame is all that interested. They will have a pretty full schedule between Navy, Stanford, USC, and 5 ACC games a year. That leaves 4 games per year, and some of them will go to their traditional Big 10 rivals (Purdue, MSU, Michigan). You also have to figure they want the freedom to schedule other schools (like Oklahoma this year, Air Force is several years, and BYU next year). So UConn would be fighting for limited spots.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's finally happened. After wearing the paint off the F5 key on two computers, I've finally gotten to the point that I just don't care anymore. It is out of our control. We're screwed in the near term, so...I'll watch the games that are scheduled and root for our teams and without giving a rat's ass about conference. It's all we can do, IMO.

I'm close to hitting that point, too. I guess the optimist in me tries to envision "best-case scenarios" no matter what they may be. But at the end of the day, I'm still a UConn Husky fan. I'm still going to go to their sporting events and wear their gear.

"They may take our conference....but they'll never take....our freedom!!!"

images

Reaction Score
As of this minute. (I am stressing minute) I would like to join the C7 along with Cincy and a few others (Xavier/Butler/Temple).

I would like to play an independent football schedule in lieu of joining MAC/Conference USA

Depending on others schools schedules, which I beleive others would make room for us, I would hope it would look somthing like.

1) Army
2) Syracuse (Acc)
3) ND
4) Rutgers (Big Ten)
5) Boston College (ACC) Schedule thanksgiving weekend
6) SEC Team
7) Big Ten Team
8) Pac Team
9) Big 12 Team
10) Cincy (since we are stuck in the same boat)
11) Mountain West
12) MAC

Lets put togther a diverse schedule and show what we can do for an audition

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm close to hitting that point, too. I guess the optimist in me tries to envision "best-case scenarios" no matter what they may be. But at the end of the day, I'm still a UConn Husky fan. I'm still going to go to their sporting events and wear their gear.

images
Thanks. It took a lot of therapy to bring me to this point. As a service to the board, I'll summarize it below, but this should not be considered a substitute for meeting with a professionsal in severe cases (cough, cough... HFD...cough.)

The Seven Stages of Conference Realignment

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss of yet another conference member with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Belief in a secret plan that will bring UConn to the Big 10 is typical in this stage. This may last for weeks.
2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase. Expect very little productivity during this stage as reading the Boneyard replaces normal functions such as work, talking with your spouse and bathing.
3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay blame for the lack of a decent conference on someone else. Many choose Warde Manual or Jeff Hathaway. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why UConn ?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will not complain about Syracuse’s cupcake basketball schedule anymore, if you just bring back the original Big East members.")
4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, and talk of “going independent in football” becomes the norm.
5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without a meaningful conference affiliation, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly. You actually start working at work again and your boss decides that he doesn’t need to fire you or upgrade the internet firewall.
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without a decent conference. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing your program, such as stadium expansion and focusing on third tier TV rights.
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages of conference realignment, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward, unfortunately that may involve trips to Amherst, but you will survive.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm at acceptance, where's the hope?
Looking forward to an easy road trip? ...ahh, I've got nothing.

Reaction Score
As of this minute. (I am stressing minute) I would like to join the C7 along with Cincy and a few others (Xavier/Butler/Temple).

I would like to play an independent football schedule in lieu of joining MAC/Conference USA

Depending on others schools schedules, which I beleive others would make room for us, I would hope it would look somthing like.

1) Army
2) Syracuse (Acc)
3) ND
4) Rutgers (Big Ten)
5) Boston College (ACC) Schedule thanksgiving weekend
6) SEC Team
7) Big Ten Team
8) Pac Team
9) Big 12 Team
10) Cincy (since we are stuck in the same boat)
11) Mountain West
12) MAC

Lets put togther a diverse schedule and show what we can do for an audition

That schedule is likely not feasible. The problem is that so many of the big conference schools do not play out of conference late in the season. And by late, I'm really talking outside of September. The ones that do, tend to do it for very specific rivalries. Good luck getting any ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, or SEC school to schedule October or November games. Even if you get 1 or 2 (which is reasonable), you still end up with a lot of slots to fill. Notre Dame is its own challenge to even get on their schedule (too many other and better commitments). By far the most likely bets would be Army, the Mountain West (although what their conference looks like is in flux) and the MAC. But that's basically what the schedule would look like now.

Look at BYU. They are a much bigger brand and look at their 2012 schedule:
Washington State (August game), Weber State, Utah (September game), Boise State, Hawaii, Utah State, Oregon State (October game), Notre Dame, Georgia Tech (October game), Idaho, San Jose State, New Mexico State, San Diego State (bowl game). That's a more feasible schedule for UConn to get. Except, if Notre Dame has to choose between BYU and UConn, which one do you think it picks?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

images
Each development has hit me in the gut in a manner I would suspect is similar to everyone else who is an avid UConn fan of whatever sport(s) they follow.

I'm trying to be like the black belt dude! If a young kid comes up to him for an autograph, and as he grabs the book from the kid, the kid knees him in the nuts, the black belt dude is going to keel over in pain.

But I bet his recovery is quicker than the rest of us! He goes through the breathing and conditioning exercises that were necessary for his accomplishment. He regains his composure and moves on. The rest of us would be crying for hours, days, weeks or months. Nothing wrong with being part of the herd and crying about the situation UConn has been dealt with. I'm trying my best to be extraordinary.

New Years helped. I bought extra champagne. Part of my conditioning exercise! I'll pretend I've lost my long term memory and tomorrow will be New Years. And then the next day and the day after that.......

Reaction Score
ND doesn't need us. They will be playing for a NC in a week and have the ACC for other sports. ND like Uconn and the rest of the schools won't do anything unless it benefits them. We don't bring anything to the table.

Reaction Score
I haven't worried about this for one minute yet. Nor will I probably. At some point if we are actually not in a real conference and are playing 12 games a year against Buffalo I will worry about it then. Makes for entertaining reading, but I really can't understand the level of panic.

I will continue to go to FB and BB games, root for our men and women and trust that Herbst will have us in the right place in the long run.

UCONN sports were an absolute joke when I entered the school in 1989 (only because I couldn't afford better). I know we won the NIT but still.

We are light years ahead of where we were and most of my great sporting memories came from the Huskies as both I and the programs grew up together. For that I will be forever loyal.

We are not going back to the Yankee Conference days. Not. Going. To. Happen.

CL82

Reaction Score
I haven't worried about this for one minute yet. Nor will I probably. At some point if we are actually not in a real conference and are playing 12 games a year against Buffalo I will worry about it then. Makes for entertaining reading, but I really can't understand the level of panic.

I will continue to go to FB and BB games, root for our men and women and trust that Herbst will have us in the right place in the long run.

UCONN sports were an absolute joke when I entered the school in 1989 (only because I couldn't afford better). I know we won the NIT but still.

We are light years ahead of where we were and most of my great sporting memories came from the Huskies as both I and the programs grew up together. For that I will be forever loyal.

We are not going back to the Yankee Conference days. Not. Going. To. Happen.
I don't think that you can say UConn sports were an absolute joke. UConn was a decent sports school just not elite...yet.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Each development has hit me in the gut in a manner I would suspect is similar to everyone else who is an avid UConn fan of whatever sport(s) they follow.

I'm trying to be like the black belt dude! If a young kid comes up to him for an autograph, and as he grabs the book from the kid, the kid knees him in the nuts, the black belt dude is going to keel over in pain.

But I bet his recovery is quicker than the rest of us! He goes through the breathing and conditioning exercises that were necessary for his accomplishment. He regains his composure and moves on. The rest of us would be crying for hours, days, weeks or months. Nothing wrong with being part of the herd and crying about the situation UConn has been dealt with. I'm trying my best to be extraordinary.

New Years helped. I bought extra champagne. Part of my conditioning exercise! I'll pretend I've lost my long term memory and tomorrow will be New Years. And then the next day and the day after that.......

That's a good thing to aspire to. To take a knee in the nuts better than the other guys... ;)

Reaction Score
I think joining the C7 for all non fb sports and being a FB Indy idea is sound. I assume FB is set for next year with whatever is the BE. So we are talking about 2014/15 +. We need 12 games with games against major conference players early so: UVA, RU, Cuse, SEC school, BIG school, then Army, Temple, Bufalo, UMass, URI, MAC school, Navy .

I think as an Indy we can realistically have an OK schedule for 3 or 4 years. By that time, or sooner, conference reallignment is complete and our future is then known. I think their are a bunch of schools that feel like they kind of owe UConn a game or two because we have been jerked around by everybody, and our mens and women's bb team are for real; schools like UVA, UNC, RU, Maryland, Wake, and Baylor. Our home schedule would blow, but the critical time period is only 2 to 4 years. After that the future is known and we are either sitting pretty (ala RU), doing OK in a watered down almost major conference, or in trouble.

I would rather do that than put together some 10 team temoprary FB conference knowing that we want to leave asap. Now with the C7, sure they know we want to leave but tell them we are happy being fb Indy and to show our faith agree to pay a $10m exit fee if it comes to that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Who are we going to schedule as an indy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom