So I get that today was only the second pre-season game | The Boneyard

So I get that today was only the second pre-season game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and we don't want our regular season opponents to get too much film on us during these first three exhibition games but does it seem like our offensive play calling has been:
1, Way too vanilla and
2. Devoid of any audibles even when Stony Brook stacked the box and run blitzed the hell out of us today?

Guess we don't want to show too much before the season starts

Reaction Score
We threw the ball down field a lot. Whitmer missed at least 2 TD throws deep.

Get well Casey.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
and we don't want our regular season opponents to get too much film on us during these first three exhibition games but does it seem like our offensive play calling has been:
1, Way too vanilla and
2. Devoid of any audibles even when Stony Brook stacked the box and run blitzed the hell out of us today?

I was okay with the play calling. It's the execution that's the issue. Yikes. I sound like Edsall.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
1, Way too vanilla and

I was okay with the play calling. It's the execution that's the issue. Yikes. I sound like Edsall.

Reaction Score
So nice of Stony Brook to play that friendly with us.

Reaction Score
I'm not ok with the play calling. SB rushed 5+ players many times and we never exploited it. Basically, our offense today was run inside, Chandler scramble, mid to long pass. At the end of last year, we threw a lot of quick slants that were completed with the WRs in full stride. These type of passes force the LBs to move back from the line. And, quick slants take the pressure off the OL and the QB.

Also, there seems to be little effort to incorporate our speed players into the offense with reverses, screens, slants,...

I liked what Weist did with offense once we got rid of PP/GDL, but I'm not excited by what I've seen so far this year.

Reaction Score
The OL and CW get an F for today. That is all.

I don't agree. The coaches have to put the players in position to succeed and I don't think they are doing it on O. SB overloaded our OL by rushing 5+ players on many plays and our pass plays were slow to develop. In addition, our offense was so vanilla and predictable which doesn't help the QB or the OL. Personally, I'm not comfortable with what this coaching staff is doing with schemes and game planning as I really don't understand what they are trying to do and how they are taking advantage of our strengths.

Look, Whitmer is not the answer at QB, but he shouldn't be the main reason we barely beat SB.

Reaction Score
I unfortunately have to watch the dvr of this game to form an opinion. I am glad that Boyle is nowhere near the offensive line

Reaction Score
1, Way too vanilla and

When you accept that we're not actually game planning for opponents and just running our stuff based on some other kind of script to evaluate, it gets easier to handle.

We basically have the talent to beat Stony Brook, when they basically know our play book on D, and our Defense isn't really attacking anything with a purpose. so, that's good. At least we arent that bad. The game otherwise was a clusterf-----K.

It will be interesting to see what we can do when we stop spotting opponents two turnovers to start each game, and actually start game planning for opponents.

Season doesn't start for 2 weeks, so we'll have to wait for the game plans, but hopefully for the fall, spring game next week, the O won't spot the D two turnovers to start.

It was very hot today. I've been parked in front of the AC for a few hours. Finally getting back to normal. Beer, scotch, heat.and Bad football. A new film coming to theaters near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom