So far...this Looks a lot like last year! (Trouble) | The Boneyard

So far...this Looks a lot like last year! (Trouble)

Reaction Score
We all love our Huskies! But if something does not change mentally, this team will meet the same fate as last years. The holes are still there!
1. No bench
2. Can’t guard off the dribble
3. Napheesa disappears in big games
4. Kia struggles to score in big games
5. Sloppy play and turnovers in huge games
6. Appear to be a tad indecisive in close games
7. Gabby plays great and hard...But does not trust her shot or take it

However Crystal and Azura seem ready for the moment! And Lou is the one constant! So hopefully the rest of the team can get over the MENTAL hump by March!

Reaction Score
We all love our Huskies! But if something does not change mentally, this team will meet the same fate as last years. The holes are still there!
1. No bench

However Crystal and Azura seem ready for the moment! And Lou is the one constant! So hopefully the rest of the team can get over the MENTAL hump by March!
Welcome to ignoresville

Reaction Score
Thank You Bags and ThisJustin.... you guys beat me to it.

Our gals won a big game against a BIG team in a BIG arena filled some 95+ percent with rabid Longhorn fans. the game was very physical and our gals hung in there! UCONN HUSKIES Women's Basketball Team is 16-0. Every game is a learning experience...and even Geno learned something from this game. We did win it as if I remember correct.

Next up... some AAC games to let us heal some bruises (black & blue eye in particular) and prepare for SoCarolina.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I get Geno's frustration about unreasonable expectations. Hey! We won on the road against a top 10 team. Sorry we didn't clobber them by 40+, but to quote Pat Summit "You only have to win by 1." There will be plenty of teacherable moments, which aren't nearly as effective after a blowout.

Reaction Score
1. No bench

I said in another thread that Texas is actually more talented (heck they have more MCD AA on their team than UConn), but UConn is a better team. The fact that we came in their house and get their A game and still win says a lot about this team. I can't say enough about how much Lou has grown as a player with so much heart, and here I thought Geno told us a while back that Lou has no heart!

Reaction Score
Tonight's game showed that certain of last year's weaknesses continue to exist to a greater extent than is ideal. But three big differences this year are that the team is a lot better with pace-of-game, they have Z down low, and Crystal has made the sophomore leap. There's a few really solid teams out there this season, but I think the Huskies will be in good enough shape such that consistent execution should be enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last year was a great year. Final four in a supposed down year! I am sure
The team is motivated by the loss, but by any reasonable measure they over performed and should hold there heads high!

An aside on coach’s body languages: couldn’t help noticing Aston’s scowling at the halftime break and game end, does everyone remember Geno smiling at the end of last year? I think that says a lot.

Reaction Score
Welcome to ignoresville

Or you could, you know, make an argument to refute those points. This is a message board whose purpose is to spur discussion and share opinions, so why not discuss and opine instead of running away?

I don't agree with everything they say, but it's better to engage with an uncomfortable opinion than to ignore it.

JS

Reaction Score
Welcome to ignoresville
Useless.

Or you could, you know, make an argument to refute those points. This is a message board whose purpose is to spur discussion and share opinions, so why not discuss and opine instead of running away?

I don't agree with everything they say, but it's better to engage with an uncomfortable opinion than to ignore it.
Exactly.

One can make the case that each of the seven negative points is an exaggeration.

And one can make the case that "the same fate" is a bit dramatic for a loss in the Final Four, by one clutch basket in OT, in a "down year."

So make it. At least the OP was specific.

Reaction Score
1. No bench

Totally agree, but it was a tough environment against a top team and we won.

Reaction Score
Thank You Bags and ThisJustin.... you guys beat me to it.

Our gals won a big game against a BIG team in a BIG arena filled some 95+ percent with rabid Longhorn fans. the game was very physical and our gals hung in there! UCONN HUSKIES Women's Basketball Team is 16-0. Every game is a learning experience...and even Geno learned something from this game. We did win it as if I remember correct.

Next up... some AAC games to let us heal some bruises (black & blue eye in particular) and prepare for SoCarolina.

Go Huskies!!!
Other teams, especially Texas has All-americans 10 I believe. Relax everyone tough win will hold us in good stead down the road. Away game , good team, great players and we Won, we won. !

Reaction Score
The biggest problem that both last year's team and this year's team has is that they can't rebound with big, physical, and athletic teams. Last night's game was very similar to the MSU game in that UConn allowed 14 more fg attempts than they took.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem that both last year's team and this year's team has is that they can't rebound with big, physical, and athletic teams. Last night's game was very similar to the MSU game in that UConn allowed 14 more fg attempts than they took.
Give the girls a break- they go up against Bigs that have a huge size and weight advantage and still come out on top.

Reaction Score
Tonight's game showed that certain of last year's weaknesses continue to exist to a greater extent than is ideal. But three big differences this year are that the team is a lot better with pace-of-game, they have Z down low, and Crystal has made the sophomore leap. There's a few really solid teams out there this season, but I think the Huskies will be in good enough shape such that consistent execution should be enough.
The troubling thing is; if Crystal had not morphed into the superstar she had been hiding, UCONN would be beatable by many teams. Lucky for us, she did.

Reaction Score
Give the girls a break- they go up against Bigs that have a huge size and weight advantage and still come out on top.

You basically just reiterated exactly what I said. This is a forum to discuss both the good AND the bad. I have said this before, but if we don't criticize the bad it totally devalues our praise of the good.

Reaction Score
........, but if we don't criticize the bad it totally devalues our praise of the good.

My wife reminds me all the time "Whining about that which I have zero control over is completely wasted effort".

Unfortunately, The Boneyard seems to have become "WHINER CENTRAL"

@TitleTown: please note this was NOT directed at you - I was just building on your comment.

Reaction Score
My wife reminds me all the time "Whining about that which I have zero control over is completely wasted effort".

Unfortunately, The Boneyard seems to have become "WHINER CENTRAL"

@TitleTown: please note this was NOT directed at you - I was just building on your comment.

There is a difference between whining and discussing though. Whining is just saying "we stink". While discussing is saying "we stink because....... how can we change that".

Reaction Score
1. No bench

Maybe some context would help this post. All points have a degree of truth but likely only for the Championship. We saw a TX coach some have criticized develop a brilliant strategy that may have worked if her team was in better shape. Geno typically uses these games to learn and what he saw was that quick guards can drive the lane (issue last year as well), UConn struggles with big, physical post players (issue last year), and Gabby struggles when exclusively out on the key on offense. Likely not news to Geno.

Reaction Score
The real problem is Uconn is too small. They can't rebound or defend against good bigs.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The real problem is Uconn is too small. They can't rebound or defend against good bigs.
Yet, we got the "W" even though we might get out rebounded and can't defend good bigs. Even though I think we did good enough defending their bigs although we did end up in deep foul trouble.

Reaction Score
True Championship talent is "how can you win when it's a bad day." Many posters stated some real points about several players having an off day. I have never, ever, seen a National level, World Class, or All-Pro athlete have a 100% season with no off days.
However, the Champions still find a way to win. Geno was happy because they found a way by fighting through the physical play, fatigue, and the off day.
Texas should be a little depressed today. They were playing a team that was on the road for 4-5 days. They had a home game with some homer calls (too inconsistent for my taste.) They came out blazing and shot the lights out. They got a 10 point lead (I forget the exact largest lead they had.) They have 10 McD AA to draw on. They have several bigs who could push around UConn. AND THEY LOST!
Geno saw all this and was happy that his team handled the stressful situation. Geno loves putting his team in stressful situations.
Champs win on the bad days too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom