So far, Ollie looks the part of head coach | The Boneyard

So far, Ollie looks the part of head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...part-calhoun-successor-men-college-basketball

Ollie said the energy in practice was tremendous, even with two juniors -- Shabazz Napier(broken foot) and Tyler Olander (high ankle sprain) -- out. He wants the Huskies to be consistent but not predictable.

Might there be some risk in keeping things too much "in the family"? You start with Ollie and Hobbs, Freeman moves up and notch and is possibly replaced by Ricky Moore. I love having these kinds of guys around but do they risk some kind of group think by not having any diversity of perspective? I'd like to think not but I have seen this happen ad nauseum in the business world. Should there be some potentially dissenting opinion to provide checks and balances?

Reaction Score
Might there be some risk in keeping things too much "in the family"? You start with Ollie and Hobbs, Freeman moves up and notch and is possibly replaced by Ricky Moore. I love having these kinds of guys around but do they risk some kind of group think by not having any diversity of perspective? I'd like to think not but I have seen this happen ad nauseum in the business world. Should there be some potentially dissenting opinion to provide checks and balances?

I don't think so. KO knows the latest and greatest from the NBA and Hobbs was a good coach off on his own. I like the KO, Freeman, Moore staff for recruiting. Super young, hip and yet all are tireless work and effort guys.

Reaction Score
Success is success and JC's brand of college ball works. I hope they are all cut from the same UCONN mold- it means we will be winners for a long time.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing that Ricky Moore would want to leave his job as an assistant at Dartmouth to take a GA's job.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only commonality between the two is the drive and persistence. KO has a lot of life that has shaped him outside of the influence of JC. No worries.

Reaction Score
There are very few people in the USA that can do what Jim Calhoun has done. I hope and believe that Kevin will prove to be one of them. I do not see what coaching diversity adds to the equation. There are very few viable paths to success in this business and if you look around, perhaps there is only one. Attract the best players and coach and develop them well.

Reaction Score
He may still add another person, someone like former Husky Ricky Moore, to fill Freeman's former role if the funds allow.

What the hell does that mean?

They are going to start small timing the staff of funds? Great way to assure the program goes down hill.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Calhoun has a lot of former players as his coaches. Lot's of basketball coaches go this route. I'm sure you can get plenty of yes men who happened to play at other schools other than UConn and plenty of dissenting opinions from former UConn players. *shrug*

Reaction Score
According to this article by Jon Rothstein, Ollie already has a non-Uconn guy in mind if he gets the permanent gig. Have to figure this would fill Blaney's spot.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09...-era-over-but-obstacles-remain-in-ollies-way/

"Sources said that if Ollie were eventually to get a long term deal with the Huskies, he would target Iowa State assistant Matt Abdelmassih as a potential lead recruiter. Abdelmassih worked with the Timberwolves when Ollie played in Minnesota and was the point man when the Cyclones signed current Houston Rockets forward Royce White. Abdelmassih also has Iowa State as a top suitor for Rashad Vaughn, the number one shooting guard in the Class of 2014."

Reaction Score
He may still add another person, someone like former Husky Ricky Moore, to fill Freeman's former role if the funds allow.

What the hell does that mean?

They are going to start small timing the staff of funds? Great way to assure the program goes down hill.

"Get some facts ... and come back & talk to me. Get some facts." "We bring $12 m to this University"

I think UConn & our resources can find money that Dartmouth won't find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom