So Aaliyah, you're looking like Phee to some ... | The Boneyard

So Aaliyah, you're looking like Phee to some ...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Well then you better study the three videos below so you can actually play at Phee's level. But stay humble like Phee.

UConn vs UCLA - Napheesa Collier Highlights
Humility begins at 1:01 mark. She says she is not flashy but watch the improvement in moves from the UCLA game to the WNBA. Perhaps it is the difference between UCONN's team play and the WNBA's woman-on-woman play.
Napheesa Collier might be the most unassuming superstar UConn has had in years

I resent the title of the article. Except for DT, who is basically just honest, UConn superstars are typically unassuming. the title makes UConn seem like its FSU football.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I resent the title of the article. Except for DT, who is basically just honest, UConn superstars are typically unassuming. the title makes UConn seem like its FSU football.
Read all of the words. Note the use of the word "most" which implies the other superstars are unassuming. Just Phee is the "most" unassuming. As for DT if the meaning of "unassumimg superstar" includes rude and arrogant, you would be correct. Since when does honest mean ill-mannered? :confused:

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee played 1 year at UConn with Morgan Tuck and 2 years at Minnesota with Sylvia Fowles. Both Morgan and Syl have exemplary footwork. Phee also has been trained by her fiancee Alex Bazzell. She has learned very, very well.

Reaction Score
I've read a bunch of posts claiming that Geno compared their play favorably, but what I remember was that the coaches only compared their attitudes and competitiveness, not their skills. Edwards is going to be a really good player, maybe better than that, but not right now. Even Collier wasn't Collier as a freshman.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Read all of the words. Note the use of the word "most" which implies the other superstars are unassuming. Just Phee is the "most" unassuming. As for DT if the meaning of "unassumimg superstar" includes rude and arrogant, you would be correct. Since when does honest mean ill-mannered? :confused:
Notice the first words of my post are 'I resent...' indicating it is my own thoughts and not a blanket statement. This is my opinion of the way I read the title of the article. Therefore there is nothing for you to get snarky about.

If you read all the words, you must also read 'the most unassuming superstar UConn has had in years " In how many years. Do these years include MoJeff, Stewie, Morgan, Maya, Tina, Renee. How about KLS or KML or Gabby, or Kia or Crystal. That is my point. It might include Steff but Steff is an engaging personality. It can't mean Bria, can it. Going back to my journalism career, I would have stopped after the word superstar. The phrase 'at UConn in many years' is unnecessarily wordy.

And thinking about DT, you're right. Sometimes I just remember the young DT, but she has aged like a quart of milk.

Reaction Score
I've read a bunch of posts claiming that Geno compared their play favorably, but what I remember was that the coaches only compared their attitudes and competitiveness, not their skills. Edwards is going to be a really good player, maybe better than that, but not right now. Even Collier wasn't Collier as a freshman.
I thought it was Christyn that made the more direct comparison to Collier, if I remember right. Either way it is a very good sign, as is CD's comparison of Nika to Jennifer Rizzotti, and most of the comments from players and coaches about this year's class.

Reaction Score
I thought it was Christyn that made the more direct comparison to Collier, if I remember right. Either way it is a very good sign, as is CD's comparison of Nika to Jennifer Rizzotti, and most of the comments from players and coaches about this year's class.

Yes, it was Williams I believe. The skills they lack can be taught. Toughness and competitiveness? Not so easily.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Christyn made the first comparison. Then some one asked Geno what he thinks about Christyn's assessment and he pretty much agreed and warmed up to the comparison as regards to work ethic, competitiveness, motor etc.

Reaction Score

I remember Geno saying that the first time he saw Collier in high school he knew she was going to be terrific...........she covered so much ground so smoothly, scored from every conceivable angle and had a motor that wouldn't quit.............I believe Ms Edwards has similar attributes just note sure to the same degree.............hopefully we'll find out soon enough........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I remember Geno saying that the first time he saw Collier in high school he knew she was going to be terrific...........she covered so much ground so smoothly, scored from every conceivable angle and had a motor that wouldn't quit.............I believe Ms Edwards has similar attributes just note sure to the same degree.............hopefully we'll find out soon enough........

I recall when Dawn Staley was coaching U16 (I think), she continually raved about Pheesa. Also I seem to recall Dawn being wowed when Phessa wrote her a Thank you letter (something Dawn said never happened before )
What makes Pheesa truly astounding is her competitive spirit mixed with a level of sensitivity and sagacity pretty rare (especially for some one so young). Quite a role model for Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how much Aliyah has improved in getting in better shape, hustling, and working on her outside shot. Covid-19 probably makes that more difficult to accomplish but it if she put in the time on her on her own we'll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom