So 1/4 of the way through the season | The Boneyard

So 1/4 of the way through the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At what point do we stop blaming PP and start to shift some accountability onto Bobby D. I (we) jumped all over Des when he played the lack of talent card but now we allow it for Bobby D. It's a hypothetical question.

The way I see it, we rotated so much in the exhibition season that our offense has no continuity at all. STarting to feel like the whole season is being thrown away.

I continue to be completely frustrated by the amount of time Geremy Davis is 1. Not targeted and 2. Not even on the field.

Similary frustrated by Obi's AWOL.

Lastly if Levy and Knappe are our best options at the tackle spots, I pray to god this o line doesn't get hurt. We could end up with even more miserable outings than last night.

I expected 2-2 right now, 3-1 was wishful thinking. But after last night cannot envision anything more than 3-4 wins and a whole lot of continued frustration. My $42 (after donation) game seats will be sold by the school over the next four homes games for less than $20. Just so rough to continue to invest emotionally and financially in this program. I know the kids are good kids and they are workign hard and their tapping the rock and all that stuff, but a fan can only take so many body blows.

Last night seemed to indicate that we had not turned the corner that we all had hoped after the signs of promise from the Boise game. That is a powerful body blow that we may not be at bottom yet. One step forward and two steps back does not motivate the fan base. Good news is that I will be more productive in the upcoming work week spending less time on here with all my fellow crazies.

REcognize this post is very Spacklerian and sorry about the length, just trying to sort out all the frustration that I have right now about whatever it was that we all watched last night.

Good day

Reaction Score
It's easy to sort out - you only need two words: BAD FOOTBALL.

Truth is, that any team, even the most fundamentally disciplined, and highly talented, is going to have a tough time, going on the road, on a short week to play on a weeknight, and in ugly weather, bad field conditions to boot, against even the worst of opponents. Winning last night, would have been a great accomplishment, because of that. What's truly frustrating, is that it was there for the taking, and we failed.

What happens though, when you go on the road, when you're faced with a situation like that, is that you get exposed down to your foundations. You have to fall back on the basics. We don't have a foundation yet. THat's what we learned last night. Everythign positive that was built up through the pre-season, fell apart last night. The false starts, the delay of games, the PROCEDURE discipline, that Diaco apparently was working on.

I hope he learned his lesson as a coach. Without settling on a starting lineup, and practicing the fundamentals of blocking and tackling, you are building a house of cards.

Reaction Score

Truth is, that any team, even the most fundamentally disciplined, and highly talented, is going to have a tough time, going on the road, on a short week to play on a weeknight, and in ugly weather, bad field conditions to boot, against even the worst of opponents. Winning last night, would have been a great accomplishment, because of that. What's truly frustrating, is that it was there for the taking, and we failed.

What happens though, when you go on the road, when you're faced with a situation like that, is that you get exposed down to your foundations. You have to fall back on the basics. We don't have a foundation yet. THat's what we learned last night. Everythign positive that was built up through the pre-season, fell apart last night. The false starts, the delay of games, the PROCEDURE discipline, that Diaco apparently was working on.

I hope he learned his lesson as a coach. Without settling on a starting lineup, and practicing the fundamentals of blocking and tackling, you are building a house of cards.

Can't wait to see them play at the Rent in Nov/Dec.

Reaction Score

I agree with all of this. We need to get so00 much better in all facets of our game in order to establish our foundation. I don't want to make to many excuses because all though conservative was the only way we could play that game with the factors of weather, road, depth, skill level, etc. I think we were overly conservative to a point. Management of the game and procedurally we should have that stuff cleared up by game 4. (However some of those false starts were perplexing, were weren't even going on a 2nd or 3rd count we would get to the line of scrimmage and false start on a 1 count, I almost wonder if the defense was simulating the count. I noticed Diaco seemed to be yelling at the refs at one point after a false start)

The other thing to keep in mind is that we have lost numerous, for most teams non maintainable amounts of kids (think..from the end of last year off the top of my head....Pruitt, Paull, Stevenson, Clark, Phillips, McCombs, Cochran, Taylor, Boland, Battles-Santos, Hemingway, McCummings, Norris, Thompson, T. Brown, J. Williams thats just what I can remember)... A lot of starters there. It's tough to lose that many when you are coming off of many sub-par years from a development and recruiting basis. We Never had any depth that has always been a problem and now our depth is starting for new coaches and new schemes.

Simplistically, we are still a long ways away....The development of our Freshman and Sophomores couldn't happen soon enough along with the arrival of next years recruiting class.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My expectations can't be any lower right now. Wins and losses seems trivial compared to being competitive on both sides of the ball for an entire 60 minutes.

Reaction Score
At what point do we stop blaming PP and start to shift some accountability onto Bobby D. I (we) jumped all over Des when he played the lack of talent card but now we allow it for Bobby D. It's a hypothetical question.

The way I see it, we rotated so much in the exhibition season that our offense has no continuity at all. STarting to feel like the whole season is being thrown away.

I continue to be completely frustrated by the amount of time Geremy Davis is 1. Not targeted and 2. Not even on the field.

Similary frustrated by Obi's AWOL.

Lastly if Levy and Knappe are our best options at the tackle spots, I pray to god this o line doesn't get hurt. We could end up with even more miserable outings than last night.

I expected 2-2 right now, 3-1 was wishful thinking. But after last night cannot envision anything more than 3-4 wins and a whole lot of continued frustration. My $42 (after donation) game seats will be sold by the school over the next four homes games for less than $20. Just so rough to continue to invest emotionally and financially in this program. I know the kids are good kids and they are workign hard and their tapping the rock and all that stuff, but a fan can only take so many body blows.

Last night seemed to indicate that we had not turned the corner that we all had hoped after the signs of promise from the Boise game. That is a powerful body blow that we may not be at bottom yet. One step forward and two steps back does not motivate the fan base. Good news is that I will be more productive in the upcoming work week spending less time on here with all my fellow crazies.

REcognize this post is very Spacklerian and sorry about the length, just trying to sort out all the frustration that I have right now about whatever it was that we all watched last night.

Good day

PP took over a team that had won 9, 8, 8 and 8 games and just gone to the Fiesta Bowl. HCBD took over a team that had won 5, 5 and 3. It's not the same situation at all.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
When is the Hockey Teams first game??

Reaction Score
If it wasn't clear before, and I think it was pretty obvious after the BYU outing, it is painfully clear now that Diaco has decided to blow the whole thing up and basically start from scratch in building this program. From virtually every position he is running a 12 week tryout. Despite what he says, winning is not at the top of the list. It is probably somewhere about 5th behind things like finding out who can play and identifying talent. If we happen to win the game, that's nice but not a priority. Developing players is the priority. Different coaches have different views on how to approach this. Some try to win right away with whatever they have. Others go back to square 1 and start over playing lots of freshmen and sophomores in hopes of building for the long term. Maybe a few things start to click at the end of the season and we put together 2-3 wins. Maybe next year.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
If it wasn't clear before, and I think it was pretty obvious after the BYU outing, it is painfully clear now that Diaco has decided to blow the whole thing up and basically start from scratch in building this program. From virtually every position he is running a 12 week tryout. Despite what he says, winning is not at the top of the list. It is probably somewhere about 5th behind things like finding out who can play and identifying talent. If we happen to win the game, that's nice but not a priority. Developing players is the priority. Different coaches have different views on how to approach this. Some try to win right away with whatever they have. Others go back to square 1 and start over playing lots of freshmen and sophomores in hopes of building for the long term. Maybe a few things start to click at the end of the season and we put together 2-3 wins. Maybe next year.

no 12 week tryout at QB?

Reaction Score
no 12 week tryout at QB?
My guess is that Diaco wants a different style of quarterback from what we have on the roster. More spread/option style. So he is just trying to limp through. I guess I take his word that Boyle was hurt and didn't want to aggravate the injury on a wet sloppy field.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

How can you say after a game when he went totally conservative to be able to stay in the game and have a chance to win???

Bonehead

Reaction Score
My guess is that Diaco wants a different style of quarterback from what we have on the roster. More spread/option style. So he is just trying to limp through. I guess I take his word that Boyle was hurt and didn't want to aggravate the injury on a wet sloppy field.
Do you ever expect Boyle to see the field then?

I agree he likes the Mobile QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul